Taxpayers On The Hook To Feed Children

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
So what? Feeding kids is some terrible thing? You'd support all the corporate welfare and military spending in the world, but feeding kids is some heinous abuse of taxpayer money? Get some fucking perspective.

How about you get some perspective. Where did I support corporate welfare and military spending. This costs TAXPAYERS MONEY WHEN THE COUNTRY IS ALREADY IN BAD CONDITION.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
How about you get some perspective. Where did I support corporate welfare and military spending. This costs TAXPAYERS MONEY WHEN THE COUNTRY IS ALREADY IN BAD CONDITION.

Fuck you.

EVERYTHING COSTS TAXPAYERS MONEY. THIS IS FAR FROM THE MOST EXPENSIVE TAXPAYER-FUNDED PROGRAM, AND CUTTING IT WOULD DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Yes, and the damage is far reaching.

No, what's really damaging is when we give parents cash benefits because they can then squander that money on booze, drugs, etc. That's the real reward for irresponsibility. School lunches are pretty benign by comparison.

Apr 27, 2012
Fuck you.

EVERYTHING COSTS TAXPAYERS MONEY. THIS IS FAR FROM THE MOST EXPENSIVE TAXPAYER-FUNDED PROGRAM, AND CUTTING IT WOULD DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

Why are you getting so angry? The program is being ABUSED which is a waste of tax dollars

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The cost of administrating the program to ensure only those in need were included would be too costly and without any statistics in the article, I'm doubting the number of children that could afford the meal is all that high based on the areas where this is occuring.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
my kids elementary and high school has offered this program the past couple of years. no we dont live in the ghetto we live in a small farming community so incomes are not that high. I have no problem with feeding people or this program, i would rather see money spent on programs like this than to be dropping bombs and shooting bullets at people.

http://www.greeleyschools.org/cms/l...Domain/423/2012-05-07 summer food program.pdf

May 10, 2012
Summer meal program helps close hunger gap
School District 6 will sponsor a federal Summer Food Service Program beginning May 29, providing
free meals to children ages 1—18 in Greeley and Evans

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...unch-program-feeds-controversy-in-california/

Taxpayers are on the hook to feed children and many of these children actually come from families that make enough money but are lazy. This is just wrong and makes no sense at all.

This is another case where the government has no right to be involved and is wasting tax dollars. It is not the governments job to feed people.

This program needs to be ended since it costs taxpayers too much, Do you agree?

The program is fine. Troll elsewhere.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
dude they give out cold cut sammiches, fruit cup and a and 1/2 pint of milk. big fucking deal. wasting tax dollars not found.

If it's so cheap, then the parents can feed the kids. After all it is their responsibility, not the government's.

Otherwise the cycle of dependency and poverty will just keep repeating itself. But then again, that's what democrats have designed and implemented - literal enslavement of entire generations.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Yep. Maybe you and Incorruptible can become lunch buddies :sneaky:

I'd rather starve. :p

Sorry, I don't see any "morals that lead to child hunger" here.

Poverty happens. Children should be taken care of.

Period.

And if a few less-than-poor kids also get some decent food in them, that's fine with me.

Apr 27, 2012
my kids elementary and high school has offered this program the past couple of years. no we dont live in the ghetto we live in a small farming community so incomes are not that high. I have no problem with feeding people or this program, i would rather see money spent on programs like this than to be dropping bombs and shooting bullets at people.

http://www.greeleyschools.org/cms/l...Domain/423/2012-05-07 summer food program.pdf

May 10, 2012
Summer meal program helps close hunger gap
School District 6 will sponsor a federal Summer Food Service Program beginning May 29, providing
free meals to children ages 1—18 in Greeley and Evans

Why should taxpayers pay for this, its the parents responsibility to feed children

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...unch-program-feeds-controversy-in-california/

Taxpayers are on the hook to feed children and many of these children actually come from families that make enough money but are lazy. This is just wrong and makes no sense at all.

This is another case where the government has no right to be involved and is wasting tax dollars. It is not the governments job to feed people.

This program needs to be ended since it costs taxpayers too much, Do you agree?

no i do not. i can think of many many many other programs that should be cut before this. like of all the BILLIONS we send over seas in foreign aid. just one billion of that to feed our own people is ok by me.

Apr 27, 2012
no i do not. i can think of many many many other programs that should be cut before this. like of all the BILLIONS we send over seas in foreign aid. just one billion of that to feed our own people is ok by me.

I have already stated that foreign aid should be ended, and this too

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Why should taxpayers pay for this, its the parents responsibility to feed children

Because children shouldn't need for basics like healthful food due to the shortcomings of their parents, deliberate or otherwise.

In a country where we spend over $500,000,000,000 a year on "defence" (cough), and where the Republican candidate for president wants to give billions of dollars in tax breaks to those who are already wealthy, focusing on kids' lunches as a place to get upset marks one as either a heartless partisan, or an utter moron.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather starve. :p

Sorry, I don't see any "morals that lead to child hunger" here.

Poverty happens. Children should be taken care of.

Period.

And if a few less-than-poor kids also get some decent food in them, that's fine with me.

Support of divorce and having bastard children.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Support of divorce and having bastard children.

And here we go with the Johnny-one-note routine again.

You're boring, and I'm tired of you derailing every thread with the same BS.

Many, if not most, of the kids who take advantage of these programs, are not "bastards". And I don't care if they are.

You want to fix society's "moral problems"? Don't do it on the backs of the innocent.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Funny how liberals support morality(divorce, bastard children) that causes children to have bad lives and than complain about it.

That's odd. Unless I'm mistaken, it's conservative areas of the country that have the highest rates of teen births, resulting in children with bad lives. They also have the highest rates of teen STDs.
States ranked by rates of live births among women age 15-19 (births per thousand):

1. Mississippi (71)
  2. Texas (69)
  3. Arizona (67)
  4. Arkansas (66)
  5. New Mexico (66)
  6. Georgia (63)
  7. Louisiana (62)
  8. Nevada (61)
  9. Alabama (61)
  10. Oklahoma (60)
Now what was your point again???

In 2007, Mississippi led the nation as the state with the highest rate of births to unwed mothers at 53.7%. Must be a lot of liberals down in Mississippi, huh?

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Out of all the crap our government wastes money on, I think feeding kids... even those whose parents can afford to feed them on their own... is the least egregious.
This. I have great scorn for those parents who will not feed their own children before themselves, but feeding hungry children, though probably not strictly Constitutional, has to be one of the least egregious things government does. The children may grow up thinking it's the government's duty to support them, but at least they won't grow up with low IQs from poor nutrition.

EDIT: I will add one caveat: I think they should add a box for voluntary donations to a local soup kitchen or food bank, with a sign asking people who don't need a free lunch to consider voluntarily contributing. Otherwise I suspect checking qualifications would cost us more than simply providing the food.

Last edited: