Tax Question - Residency/Insurance

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Heylo all,

Well, though being a Wisconsin resident, I have not worked in Wisconsin in the past tax tear. I have, however, been working in Florida since June.

I think I was supposed to have declared residency in Florida by now but....I haven't. Florida has NO state income tax while Wisconsin has (I think) 6.15% in my bracket. I think my Wisconsin state income tax would come out to be ~$1000. (I made ~$11,120 through Dec. 31)

SO....would I owe these taxes anyway if I declared Florida residency now?

I ask because if so then I won't bother declaring residency yet. I dunno if I'm staying here beyond July 1st, and I think my car insurance will only go up because of where I live and all that.

If I won't have to owe those taxes then I'll have to find out if it'll actually offset whatever extra cost there'll be from my car insurance.

Of course maybe I should declare Florida residency anyway so I don't have to pay (wherever I move to, if I move at all) for the months that I'm working here this year.

Basically I'm trying to save as much $$$ as I can....but I don't know how this all works with the whole residency thing, and am not having much luck finding good resources for the tax retarded.

Thanks for any help...