TAS-member thread: May 2006: PrimeGrid

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Edit June 4: Here are the semi-final stats for TAS' May-project - PrimeGrid.

Edit June 1: The poll is closed. The winner is Rosetta@home CASP7-challenge. Lets get crunching!

Edit May 29: The poll has been reset - because of more or less sudden problems. Please vote again - and read the top post for explanation. Thanks for your patience!

Edit May 27: Here are the new stats! Looks terrific!

Edit May 26: Here is the poll, please vote - now!

Edit May 23: Team Anandtech is now in second place in the world! Well done, TeAm-mates!

Edit May 21: We can reach the 1 000 000 crredits milestone with 4 days - and the top rank before the month is over! crunch on - more, more, more!

Edit May 20:: We are now in 3rd position - have passed Team Alienware some hours ago. Well done!

Edit May 13:Here are the stats for the first 2 weeks of crunching!

Edit May 5: Here are the stats for the first 5 days of crunching PrimeGrid ...

Edit May 1: The poll is closed. The project of the month is PrimeGrid.

As of just now the poll is very close:

_1 vote ________ World Community Grid
_2 votes _______ Leiden Classical
_4 votes _______ µFliuds@home
_5 votes _______ PrimeGrid
12 votes _______ total

Please vote! The poll should be closed around 22:00 UTC, but I will probably not be available then ;) or maybe not until tuesday (what does one do when a nice girl asks for a mini-vacation?)

So: the project of the month should be pretty well diceded in a few hours; if it is a tie, we can discuss it here or we can crunch two projects or we (the mods) can toss a virtual coin (there must be a site for thet too!) ...

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Spacehead
All BOINC related, huh? (not that there's anything wrong with that;))

Lots of new BOINC projects and we try to do a new project every month.

Now we have a tie:

_5 votes _______ µFliuds@home
_5 votes _______ PrimeGrid

We need at least one more vote!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
A quickie - from my PDA: rise has promised to be a tie-barker - se a post a page or so back! :)

Rise, where are you???

If it is a tie at 24:00 tonight I'll toss a coin, let it boinc on the floor and decide ... :) ;) :D

Edit: It was bad spelling ... get the pun ?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have had PM from amdxborg and from BlackMountainCow. We have agreed on giving the poll more time and on letting certain TAS members indicate their preference. Thus the decision is:

1. We will give the poll 8 more hours (i.e. until 08:00 UTC)
2. People who have not voted can vote during that time.
3. We would like to ask those who have voted for Leiden Classical or for World Community Grid to indicate which preference they have when choosing between µFluids and PrimeGrid. The preference can be indicated by posting in the Polling-thread at TAS or in the TAS-members-thread: May 2006 at Anandtech Forums by posting or by PM-ing to me.

If the poll is tied in 8 hours, I will toss a coin three times at this site Random.org. Heads = PrimeGrid, Tails = µFluids. I will publish the coin toss in this thread and that decision will be final.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The tie is broken:

_0 vote ________ World Community Grid (Changed vote to PrimeGrid)
_2 votes _______ Leiden Classical
_5 votes _______ µFliuds@home
_6 votes _______ PrimeGrid
13 votes _______ total

Since it is only 7 minutes or so left to the deadline I'll just wait a little more and do some stats ... ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The poll is closed. The result:

The TAS-project for May 2006 is PrimeGrid.

Lets get crunchin'! :D

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the starting stats for PrimeGrid as of April 30, 2006, 23:00 UTC

The team-stats: Please note thet the Team's stats are a few hours old.

Rank ___ Members _____ RAC ________ Credits ______ Name_____
1 _______ 31 ______ 1 712.33 ___ 1 040 828.36 ___ BOINC@Heidelberg
2 ______ 128 ______ 1 737.38 _____ 951 426.74 ___ BOINC Synergy
3 ________ 3 ________858.46 _____ 942 624.67 ___ Team Alienware
4 _______ 21 ______ 5 760.80 _____ 767 182.93 ___ Team Anandtech
5 _______ 13 ________596.05 _____ 367 134.08 ___ Picard
6 _______ 22 ______ 1 685.04 _____ 301 548.56 ___ AMD Users

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Just now I can not get any WUs from PrimeGrid ... and on one comp all my WUs ended with am error.
You can check here. :( a closer look:
Does this error code say something else than "bad WU"? The other comps crunch very well, no errors at all... Hmmm, buffer overflow ... have to check for viruses, troyans and stuff like that ...

Wew have to remember this is an alpha-project. May be good to have a backup project on - µFluids? Myself, I'll stick to Seti@home and SIMAP ...

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
I think the graph on the main page says it all: green vs. blue = :(

Looks like lots of error WUs spawned in the last days. Maybe you got some leftovers Peter.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah, probably. But the app-version is the same as the current one. And others have also failed to finish the WU, and then one has usualy managed to crunch it to success... we will see ... the probelm is that the comp won't get any new WUs for some time :(

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Primegrid switched to a new version last week. 5.10 Had problems and was replaced by 5.11 the next day. Try resetting the project or detatching and reattatching. I've got no errors at all on any of my pcs and I've got it running a few.. If the problem really gets bad, post in their forum, the project admin and forum mod are always pretty helpful!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks Johan, I have reset the project several times.

I have also turned down the OC of that comp to "non-OC'd" (it goes now some 35% slower, but that is bettar than not crunching at all).

Just some minutes ago I detatched and reattached - now the quota is OK (150/day) but I still can not get any work. Have 4 comps attached with sufficient quotas and do not get any work - not on any of my comps. I can see the site, I can report the results, I see from the front page thet there are 1 995 results"unsent" but I still do not get any WUs. :(

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Man that sux, this project was a setup and forget kinda one, but since the new version last week there's been problems.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well, when TAS comes aboard and starts downloading all the WUs around (I have some 30 results pending and 470 downloaded in my caches and all of them obtained in the last 24 hours ... ). I assume I hit some kind of barrier: no more than 500 WUs a day or so. Would not be surprized ...

If then all new TAS:ers do something similar (lets say download together some 2000 WUs then the WU-generating may come to a halt or do something ... It is onlyin the passed hour I have seen the number of unsent result rising from approximately 1 400 this morning around 8-ish to 2018 some seconds ago. It may be that ...

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Yeah, all three of my boxes at home say "No work from project". :(

I'll be off on a "working" vacation day today. Hopefully by tonight...

-jim

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Alright. Both our main machines & the three in the rack all have PrimeGrid. But no work to be downloaded. Everything is idle. So I think I'll run DPAD in the mean time on all the machines...

Weird. Chocobo1 won't run DPAD (muon). Just generates errors in windows. Hmm. Oh well. I'll figure it out later. Time for bed. Good night ya'll.

Okay. DPAD has been stopped, results uploaded, and all machines are crunching PrimeGrid. I think our main rigs are both finishing up QMC WUs though. Soon enough at any rate...

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Message from Rytis the project admin, "Work generator crashed. Working on it." So all should be up soon! :D

edit.. Fixed.. wu aplenty!! ;)

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
For info, I asked Rytis (the project admin) about the new application's wu being the same size and finishing a lot quiker (used to take about 3h) and this is what he said:

"The workunits will go longer as we progress through the number space. This will be a gradual process, but, as we tested on chess960athome (they use our app for testing the server), in the number range of 10^15 a workunit that does the same job takes about 7 hours."

So small size wu and long crunch time will come in time! :D Oh and that's what I like, more bang for your buck on bandwidth!

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Yeah I did notice and I was kinda surprized, but very glad it is. If it is your doing, then thank you very much!! :beer:;)

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i sent in a few units of QMC today and still have 2-3 to finish.

primegrid, huh?