TAS-member thread for September: µFluids & TANPAKU

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Edit September 28:Here is the October poll, please vote!

Edit September 17:Here are the current stats for µFluids and the current stats for TANPAKU.

Edit September 14:Here are the stats for µFluids and here follow the stats for TANPAKU

Edit September 9: Here are the stats for µFluids as of Sept. 9, 2006. and the stats for TANPAKU!

Edit September 3: Here are the stats as of Sept. 3, 09:15 UTC.

Edit September 2: trouble with small WUs in µFluids! Discussion below ... A new poll has opened at TAS: what should we do?

Edit September 1:: Welcome CupCak3 to TAS!

August 31:The poll is closed. The winner is µFluids. Here are the starting stats. Now lets all go crunching! :D

Jened

Mar 26, 2001
back again - can someone point me to signup/download page for this months project?

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
Did they answer your email, Peter?

No, not yet ...

I think they answered it fine. That's way more WU's than I've ever seen them have, and the number is still going up. :thumbsup:

Status of µFluids server (Updated 09/01/06 14:27:31)

Workunits Available: 142165
Workunits in Progress: 45941
Effective Computing Power: 680.6 GFLOPS
Active Hosts: 1649

-jim

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well this is a interesting situation ...
Workunits Available: 71249
Workunits in Progress: 28157
Effective Computing Power: 675.11 GFLOPS
Active Hosts: 1656
More then half of the WUs are gone in less than 10 hours ... :Q

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Well this is a interesting situation ...
Workunits Available: 71249
Workunits in Progress: 28157
Effective Computing Power: 675.11 GFLOPS
More then half of the WUs are gone in less than 10 hours ... :Q

When I was crunching uFluids last month, there were rarely more than 5k WU's available. We're prolly AOK. :)

edit: And Look!

Status of µFluids server (Updated 09/01/06 16:14:00)

Workunits Available: 161519
Workunits in Progress: 20481
Effective Computing Power: 675.07 GFLOPS

-jim

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome CupCak3 :)

The current WUs only take a few seconds to complete!
They take much longer to upload on my dialup than they take to crunch :roll:
My computer is mostly idle :(

I will have to run something else until the 2-3 hour WUs come back.

Silverthorne

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GLeeM
Welcome CupCak3 :)

The current WUs only take a few seconds to complete!
They take much longer to upload on my dialup than they take to crunch :roll:
My computer is mostly idle :(

I will have to run something else until the 2-3 hour WUs come back.

If you need something to run please join the cuboid team. :)

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
9/2/2006 10:07:10 AM|uFluids|Requesting 4320 seconds of new work, and reporting 172 completed tasks
9/2/2006 10:08:56 AM|uFluids|Scheduler request succeeded
9/2/2006 10:08:56 AM|uFluids|Message from server: Server can't open database
9/2/2006 10:08:56 AM|uFluids|Project is down

been down since like 3am for me

though TANPAKU is going strong!

now that i'm in the right thread... :D

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
TAS-members are experiencing problems with µFluids:
The WUs (bplugz1_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) crunch for very short times (8 - 30 seconds) and take quite some time to up- and download.

1. This is a problem with TAS-members who dial through a modem, but also for those who have xDSL - lines: uploading 148 results takes it s time.
2. This is also a problem for those who pay for their bandwidth ... even if the file is approx 150 - 250 Kbytes multiply this by 100, add all the overhead (TCP/IP etc), the uploads and downloads become very big ... Sometimes uploading takes longer than crunching: I have just now a high traffic situation where I live: rain, many young people sitting at their comps, while BOINC was uploading one unit two got crunched ... it may of course be a problem at the server side too - manyu hundred WUs coming to the validator ...
3 The reward is small (approx. 0.08 Cobblestones (more or less ...)) considering the costs - the computers spend more time communicating than crunching, and communication does not give cobblestones ...

Some members are considering of stopping µFluids, some have already quit.
I think that we have to decide if we will stick with µFluids or if we change project to TANPAKU, or if we run both ...

I have opened a new poll at TAS., please vote your pleasure!

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
right now i'm stilll running both projects. if ufluids fixes their WU issue i'd have no problems running it.

for those who were reading the right thread and not the wrong one which i was posting:

BTW if anyone is interested in their bandwidth stats, the makers of netlimiter have an AWSOME free util that tells you your instananious bandwidth and also your accumulated sent/recieved. It also breaks down the stats per process and time period. Which is how I was able to give the ufluids stats

NetLimiter 2 Monitor

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
In general, you should always run at least 2 BOINC projects - the one you want to do, and one at low priority in case the one you want to do has a problem. I've been running Riesel Sieve as the low priority project, so my machines haven't been idle. They're just sieveing (sp?) more than expected.

I don't want to abandon Riesel Sieve; but I haven't decided what other project I want to run yet.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Ken_g6
In general, you should always run at least 2 BOINC projects - the one you want to do, and one at low priority in case the one you want to do has a problem. I've been running Riesel Sieve as the low priority project, so my machines haven't been idle. They're just sieveing (sp?) more than expected.

I don't want to abandon Riesel Sieve; but I haven't decided what other project I want to run yet.

Same boat here. I purposely hadn't added uFluids yet since I was reading the issues others were dealing with - no sense in adding to the problems. ;) I'm okay with another "BOINC month".

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
As I reached my daily quota on µfluids anway, I doesn't really bother me. But while it was still going, I wasn't able to use Skype or other internet resources, which is not really acceptable for me. So, unless µfluids fixes the tiny WU problem, I'll be all over TANPAKU.

:)

@Peter: Please, don't worry about doing the stats for both projects. We'll just see how µfluids turns out and then we can talk again. :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
:D @ BMC :)
I do not worry at all. That does not prevent me from thinking, speculating, considering and having some fun. I may do TANPAKU too, but I'll see next week ...

Today I will eat well, have a beer and watch Sir Lawrence Olivier's master performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet - the Prince of Denmark, a movie produced in 1948. He won 4 of the (at that time 7) Oscars!
:D Probably I'll generate some stats tomorrow ... or not ;) :Q

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
What? No :cookie::cookie::cookie:'s?

:shocked:

-jim

p.s... Maybe we should make this a BOINC :beer: Weekend for TAS. It is a 3-day weekend, afterall for us here in the US. Let the projects sort themselves out. :D

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Just checked: 1 100 WUs crunched in the passed 36 hours - and at that half of my comps have the longer upbend2-xxxxxx-WUs loaded ...
1100 WUs at 0,08 credits = 88 credits - that is not too good. The throughput of BOINC during the same time was approximately 190 MBytes - and my other projects generate some 25 MBytes/day ...