Tango Down! Tom Clancy dies at 66

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
My AT handle came from Red Storm Entertainment, before they were swallowed under the Ubisoft name.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The first Rainbow Six and the expansions were pretty good. After Ghost Recon, the series went down hill though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Back in the day, I was definitely part of the Rainbow Six camp, and I never really understood the point of Counter Strike. If I wanted tactical, I played Rainbow Six, and if I wanted faster-paced action, I would play Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament. I didn't play the games much past Raven Shield though.

My AT handle came from Red Storm Entertainment, before they were swallowed under the Ubisoft name.

Ahh, good ol' Red Storm. Did you play their RTS, Dominant Species?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Heard about his death on the radio this morning. All I could think was, "Man, I hope Steam has a sale on Tom Clancy games to commemorate him."

...JK (partially). But seriously though, RIP. He wrote some awesome stuff.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Ghost recon is still on of the games I'd like to try to learn how to play one day. I have the original and the desert Island (or whatever that was called) discs.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
RIP Mr. Tom Clancy. I had fun playing games with his name on it. Condolences to the family.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Putting the games aside, he was to military fiction/non-fiction what Stephen King is to horror. He was one of those writers who said that "writer's block" was something that applied only to lazy people.

It's crazy that Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy died at the same age (66) and Robert Jordan died almost 10 years younger. We are losing too many giants in such a short period of time.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
As a gamer, I always enjoyed the older Tom Clancy-branded games. As a reader, I have mixed feelings.

His books always felt too much like military/sociopolitical fanfiction. The reader will always have a clear sense of what America should be doing and how the world will react to those decisons. His visions of a strong, decisive, commanding America seem kind of outdated in the current multinational era. I could also detect whispers of jingoism in his novels. And I have never seen more dry writing in a modern novel.

On the other hand, the books always had solid believable spycraft, amazing considering Mr. Clancy never was a spy. And many of the political enemies he came up with turned out to be correct. In the Sum of All Fears (1991), Arab terrorists detonate a nuke during a Super Bowl. That is eerily close to what happened a decade later.

RIP Tom Clancy.