• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Talk to me about VR (on consoles?) what is the current state of this technology?

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Kids are hinting they would 'really love' VR headset/experience for something like Minecraft VR. We have few XBX consoles they play on right now. What should I be looking at in terms of vendors/options? Budget <$500 preferred

I know Playstation VR exists (and will look at that too when I can pick up PS5).

Thank you in advance

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
There is nothing for XBox. Sony announced that they are doing a PSVR2 but that is still some ways off.

Reactions: simas

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm not sure how this applies specifically to Minecraft in VR, but the Quest 2 might be a good option to consider. The only downside could be the Facebook account requirement. However, since it requires no console or PC to use it, it can work out quite well. (You can attach it to a PC too.)

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I'm not sure how this applies specifically to Minecraft in VR, but the Quest 2 might be a good option to consider. The only downside could be the Facebook account requirement. However, since it requires no console or PC to use it, it can work out quite well. (You can attach it to a PC too.)
I am wary of Facebook and their data collection practices - should I be around Quest 2? Is it known what they track/collect 'to better serve you' ?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am wary of Facebook and their data collection practices - should I be around Quest 2? Is it known what they track/collect 'to better serve you' ?
I'm not sure if there's a lot of information about what sort of information is being collected.

If I had to guess, I would assume that they use Quest data no differently than your other data. The whole idea of Facebook and their ilk is to create the best understanding of you that they can, so they can sell their marketing as more effective. For example, if they can determine through your habits that you heavily favor Xbox over PlayStation, they are likely to send your Xbox ads instead. In some ways, it doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world. If I have to see ads, it would be nice if they were relevant. However, it's hard to ignore the stupid money that these companies make off of each individual. You also get those awkward stories where companies that aggregate consumer data are able to deduce private things about an individual through correlating their data to others.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I'm not down with the Quest because I'm not strapping a gaggle of cameras to my head and letting FB harvest as much data as they like about my surroundings.

ASK THE COMMUNITY