Talk to me about this stimulus bill

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Didn't the US get a stake in the companies as collateral? Interested to see what restrictions and payback guarantees will be in this bill.

(d) FINANCIAL PROTECTION OF GOVERNMENT.— (1) WARRANT OR SENIOR DEBT INSTRUMENT.—The Secretary may not issue a loan to, or a loan guarantee for, an eligible business under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of subsection (b) unless—(A)(i) the eligible business has issued securities that are traded on a national securities exchange; and (ii) the Secretary receives a warrant or equity interest in the eligible business; or (B) in the case of any eligible business other than an eligible business described in subparagraph (A), the Secretary receives, in the discretion of the Secretary—(i) a warrant or equity interest in the eligible business; or (ii) a senior debt instrument issued by the eligible business.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont think tajmahal believes anything he says.
I think he's a world class troll. We shouldnt worry too much about his statements.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
We gettin thousands:D

I'm a goin put me $500 on a brand new chevy! Then, its paaarty. I'd be throwin my money in the air, like Is dont care!

$$$Trump 2020$$$

j/k... we are going to get shafted! :(

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Are you sure that if you are fired for not showing up you will qualify?

I'm almost sure that is in incorrect but would have to double check.
I looked this up and at least in California this is incorrect. I'm guessing this is the case in most states? As I though, lindsey is being his normal POS self.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I looked this up and at least in California this is incorrect. I'm guessing this is the case in most states? As I though, lindsey is being his normal POS self.
This really depends state by state. I don't think any states cover termination for cause on paper, but the employer does have to provide sufficient documentation and may have to appear to defend against an appeal. My business has relatively low turnover and while we submit documentation for all terminations we can't be assed to appear for an appeal so lose most claims.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Repeat after me: Loans are not bailouts. Loans are not bailouts. Loans are not bailouts. Loans are not bailouts. Loans are not bailouts. Loans are not bailouts.

Comprende? Understand?

I hate having to spell this out to massive morons online - but let's just take the base of all this. Everyone is like "OMG $2 TRILLION FOR COMPANIES!"

That wasn't even my overall point. My point is they are willing to give FORGIVABLE loans to small business , huge loans to corporations etc... but they wanted to hold up the whole thing because of some UI benefits. It was fucking stupid.

I totally get corporations didn't CAUSE this. But you are fooling yourself by saying they didn't hurt themselves by NOT keeping some money in savings/cash and instead just threw it all back into the market.

BTW, loans ARE bailouts, look up the definition.

bail·out - an act of giving financial assistance to a failing business or economy to save it from collapse.

A loan is financial assistance. I nowhere said they CAUSED the virus or that they are completely at fault, but don't say they had 0 fault by not keeping some money in reserve. People are taught to keep liquid savings, why shouldn't corporations be expected to do the same? Should the government always have to loan them cash when a issue arises? Yes, this is an extreme situation, but the overall thought still applies.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is no such thing as a line item veto at the federal level. He signs it or he doesn't.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. It would give him too much authority to over rule the lawmakers.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I need to see what's there about 401k withdrawals. Probably just cancelling withdrawal penalties. I wish I could pull out some without it being declared as income, so I can refi with the lower rates. Ah, I will just have to wait till July, when I'm 66 anyway, when I am at my actual retirement date. Otherwise I get penalized even more.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
While the line item veto is not currently allowed, apparently an exception has been made for the Trump administration. In his signing statement, Trump has decided he can ignore the parts of the stimulus bill involving oversight that he doesn't like. I would say this is probably illegal, and a president shouldn't get away with it, but we all know that he will.

"These provisions are impermissible forms of congressional aggrandizement with respect to the execution of the laws," Trump says in the statement.

Yeah right!, like that's a statement actually thought of, and written by Donald Trump :rolleyes:

Can't you just hear his voice in your head, flawlessly articulating every word?

It's shocking, I tell ya.. that someone is feeding him ways to break the law...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While the line item veto is not currently allowed, apparently an exception has been made for the Trump administration. In his signing statement, Trump has decided he can ignore the parts of the stimulus bill involving oversight that he doesn't like. I would say this is probably illegal, and a president shouldn't get away with it, but we all know that he will.

Yeah right!, like that's a statement actually thought of, and written by Donald Trump :rolleyes:

Can't you just hear his voice in your head, flawlessly articulating every word?

It's shocking, I tell ya.. that someone is feeding him ways to break the law...

I do find it funny that the courts made a line item veto codified in law unconstitutional but have freely embraced an effective line item veto of the president just refusing to follow parts of the law, saying it's not their place to get in the middle of political arguments.

Reactions: DarthKyrie