Talk to me about this stimulus bill

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Here are some details. Obviously the claim that she is holding up funds over abortion is false. However, it seems there might be some language that could possibly be used to skirt the Hyde stuff or something, I don't have time to read it all now.

So you were just telegraphing right wing bullshit & are glossing over the erroneous claim that Americans hate Democrats.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
All you need to know about the scuttling of the Bill is this story about a typical Democrat and the Majority Whip in the House.

Dem Rep. Told Colleagues Coronavirus Bill Is ‘Tremendous Opportunity to Restructure Things to Fit Our Vision’

So, uhh, how is that GOP "Vision" working out, anyway? Is there some reason to hold to it other than protecting the privilege of the Wealthy?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's actually true isn't it? Not all, but it seems quite a few do.

No, both parties generally have around the same overall approval rating these days, although usually the Democrats fare slightly better.

While both are often right around or below 50% I guess you could say most Americans hate Democrats but then by the same logic most Americans hate Republicans and would be similarly looking for ways to oppose conservative policies, but I don't think dank would claim that.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So you were just telegraphing right wing bullshit & are glossing over the erroneous claim that Americans hate Democrats.

No, both parties generally have around the same overall approval rating these days, although usually the Democrats fare slightly better.

While both are often right around or below 50% I guess you could say most Americans hate Democrats but then by the same logic most Americans hate Republicans and would be similarly looking for ways to oppose conservative policies, but I don't think dank would claim that.
Obviously I do not have any "proof" that Americans hate Democrats. All I can do is think logically and you are free to poke holes in that logic.

My logic is pretty simple, really. If most Americans didn't hate Democrats, then everyone who wasn't a die-hard Republican would be a full-blown Democrat by now in order to rid our country of the GOP scourge. The ONLY way a person can justify remaining independent in the current political climate is by pretending both sides are the same, and in order to maintain that illusion you have to be seriously handicapping Democrats before you even start the comparison.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
"Creates a $500 billion fund executed by the Treasury Secretary. No serious terms regarding governance or labor reforms. The secretary can waive terms and also not disclose who receives bailouts for six months. "

Yeah....there's *no way* that is abused. No way at all possible that a Trump hotel or resort gets conveniently fast tracked ahead of another business. Unpossible! And not reported on until after the election.

Now you are just being unfair. The Donald was asked specifically about oversight at one of yesterday's press hoohas and he said don't worry, I will personally oversee him if necessary. I feel so much more assured now.

This is a Trump-GOP wet dream-total control over Other People's Money were they can't even ask what you are doing. Funny though, the teabaggers and GOP revolted at GWB's first ballout package in Oct. 2008 for the exact same reason.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obviously I do not have any "proof" that Americans hate Democrats. All I can do is think logically and you are free to poke holes in that logic.

My logic is pretty simple, really. If most Americans didn't hate Democrats, then everyone who wasn't a die-hard Republican would be a full-blown Democrat by now in order to rid our country of the GOP scourge. The ONLY way a person can justify remaining independent in the current political climate is by pretending both sides are the same, and in order to maintain that illusion you have to be seriously handicapping Democrats before you even start the comparison.

When "logic" & observable reality don't mesh, just reject reality. What you offer is just another version of truthiness.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Now you are just being unfair. The Donald was asked specifically about oversight at one of yesterday's press hoohas and he said don't worry, I will personally oversee him if necessary. I feel so much more assured now.

This is a Trump-GOP wet dream-total control over Other People's Money were they can't even ask what you are doing. Funny though, the teabaggers and GOP revolted at GWB's first ballout package in Oct. 2008 for the exact same reason.

Trump messed with their minds. It's what great con artists do.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I think that most people are ruled by tribalism and institutional advantages give Republicans the edge in a 50/50 system.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Not sure if this has anything to do with stimulus, but grifters take note:

34b58a06eab1f4de1f9a24a332236681.jpg

854e7aacabde8508172ae0311342893f.jpg

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So McConnell can wipe his ass with it?
ahhh I get it now...........light goes on -- The reason McConnell has all those bills from the Hoise of Representatives on his desk is he for saw this TP shortage and now has a personal supply of bills to wipe is ass with........am I right?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think that most people are ruled by tribalism and institutional advantages give Republicans the edge in a 50/50 system.
That's at least a better response than @Jhhnn's shitpost, but why aren't independents becoming Democrats as the GOP further radicalizes? Why are there millions of people that think bothsides is actually true?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That's at least a better response than @Jhhnn's shitpost, but why aren't independents becoming Democrats as the GOP further radicalizes? Why are there millions of people that think bothsides is actually true?
your being dishonest with yourself....there are NOT millions of people who think that bothsides are true!!
There are millions of people both Republican and Democrat that see how Trump has approached this virus and they know he is wrong!!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Because of tribalism I think. People don’t really care about policies because they are too abstract. It’s a sports team.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Isn't tribalism just another way of saying "I hate the other team"?

Right, but my point is that it’s not a majority of Americans and more to the point they don’t need reasons to hate the other team. They will whether you supply them or not

Nov 8, 2012
"Creates a $500 billion fund executed by the Treasury Secretary. No serious terms regarding governance or labor reforms. The secretary can waive terms and also not disclose who receives bailouts for six months. "

Yeah....there's *no way* that is abused. No way at all possible that a Trump hotel or resort gets conveniently fast tracked ahead of another business. Unpossible! And not reported on until after the election.

You do realize those are LOANS, right? It's not a slush fund if you have to actively pay back the funds you take derpington.

It's very clear that Dems are trying to pass random shit to try and use to win the upcoming election. Overall just things that have nothing to do with the situation at-hand.

I'll stand beside them on one factor: Provision the bailout loans to say "If you take a loan (which is obviously optional), you must be within guidelines to not lay off more than x amount of workers, no stock buybacks, and no fat bonus' for x # of years".

All of the other shit? You want to talk about a slush fund lol....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You do realize those are LOANS, right? It's not a slush fund if you have to actively pay back the funds you take derpington.

It's very clear that Dems are trying to pass random shit to try and use to win the upcoming election. Overall just things that have nothing to do with the situation at-hand.

I'll stand beside them on one factor: Provision the bailout loans to say "If you take a loan (which is obviously optional), you must be within guidelines to not lay off more than x amount of workers, no stock buybacks, and no fat bonus' for x # of years".

All of the other shit? You want to talk about a slush fund lol....

A $500 billion fund owned by the presidents stooge that can waive terms and not disclose for 6 months.

NOTHING SHADY ABOUT THAT.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
That's currently the only thing stopping the bill according to the news I've been hearing. Guess whose fault that is...