Talk to me about this stimulus bill

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Conservative media is abuzz with "Democrats blocking Republicans from saving real Muricans" which I assumed was Democrats not signing off on a piece of GOP shit that didn't prevent corporations from taking bailout money, laying everyone off anyway, and using the cash to buy more stock. Digging deeper reveals that there are a few provisions in the GOP version that seem to do exactly those things, and now a leaked preliminary version of Pelosi's bill seems like they are trying to get pieces of every bill sitting on McConnell's desk crammed into this coronavirus bill. Not a good look. What the fuck is Pelosi doing here? Can anyone explain?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The bottom line is both sides essentially agree on the main premise of the bill...helping Americans. What theyre quibbling about are additions by Republicans to also help big business.

edit: HERE is a decent outline of it.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The bottom line is both sides essentially agree on the main premise of the bill...helping Americans. What theyre quibbling about are additions by Republicans to also help big business.
Correction, also to help big business without consumer protections. I have no problem bailing out big business, it needs to happen, but it should come with significant strings.

Jan 25, 2011
Correction, also to help big business without consumer protections. I have no problem bailing out big business, it needs to happen, but it should come with significant strings.
Significant strings and done out in the open. There should be nothing that keeps the public from knowing at the time of approval who is getting money and what the conditions are.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Okay, but WTF is going on with green new deal stuff and voter protection stuff and increased union bargaining stuff, etc.? Really, really, really bad look if true.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Okay, but WTF is going on with green new deal stuff and voter protection stuff and increased union bargaining stuff, etc.? Really, really, really bad look if true.

So you think nationwide vote by mail, which would protect voters and prevent election delays during this (or other) pandemics isn't relevant or helpful? Only Republicans hate it because it would make it more difficult to delay elections and would increase turnout.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Pelosi bill vs. Republican with understanding that they would not actually pass the Pelosi bill as is but compromise. Bonus feint to make Sleepy Joe look better for general election.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So you think nationwide vote by mail, which would protect voters and prevent election delays during this (or other) pandemics isn't relevant or helpful? Only Republicans hate it because it would make it more difficult to delay elections and would increase turnout.

Are there places you CANT vote by mail?

Feb 4, 2009

While I don’t know much of the specifics of the bill that got shot down, I do know it was passed quickly without any Democrat input. This typically is the foundation of a shitty deal #bothsides.
I completely agree with the above statement.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Conservative media is abuzz with "Democrats blocking Republicans from saving real Muricans" which I assumed was Democrats not signing off on a piece of GOP shit that didn't prevent corporations from taking bailout money, laying everyone off anyway, and using the cash to buy more stock. Digging deeper reveals that there are a few provisions in the GOP version that seem to do exactly those things, and now a leaked preliminary version of Pelosi's bill seems like they are trying to get pieces of every bill sitting on McConnell's desk crammed into this coronavirus bill. Not a good look. What the fuck is Pelosi doing here? Can anyone explain?

It's simple.
McConnell tried to rush a bill that he knew was immature and would be shot down.
He timed the vote for Sunday, while also delaying the normal negotiation process to generate news nugget for Monday new cycle.
McConnell action, by creating unnecessary drama only delays the Senate from getting its job done in a gamble that bad PR will force Democrats to give in to something that does not pass muster.
Summary.
McConnell is fucking with people for PR points with the base and to chip away at Democrats.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You've probably seen the discussion of the Trump checks before. Suffice it to say, it is now merit based under the GOP plan. The amount of your check is based on your 2018 income-if zero, then you only get $600, gradually increasing to the full $1200 at amount $45k income. Also if you earned more than a certain amount (either 75k or 99k, I'm not sure), no check at all.

This process of basing the check on prior income is not only grossly regressive but it will delay shipping these checks, probably by several weeks.

Secondly, last I heard the corporate bailout fund ($500 billion) was essentially a blank check, no specifics "to be decided later" per McConnell.

Thirdly, nothing was done about the huge expenses undertaken by the states for unemployment comp and to combat the virus because of the vacuum caused by federal inaction.

Basically the GOP is blowing partisan smoke here. They came up with a horrendous bill with a huge slush fund, and then have the gall to whine when the Dems (and others) won't go for that crap.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
GOP's plan is to give as much money as possible to the rich - no strings attached.

As for the middle class and poor; go fuck yourselves - raw.

We are left in the lurch, thanks to the GOP. Meanwhile, airlines and Wall Street get #1 priority!

Remember when Trump was suppose to look out for the common worker? How his claim to fame was Muh Stock Markets! And how we've all been winning so much?

This is a perfect end to his horrid Presidency; an incompetent man completely fucking us all over and doling out some of the dumbest and most incorrect pieces of advice.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Okay I am not really concerned right now about the GOP version. I assumed it was shit and don't really care. What DOES concern me is if Democrats are attaching their own poison pills to their version. And let me be clear: we certainly need all those things like green new deal and voter protections etc. etc. but attaching them to the coronavirus bill is a very BAD look. The upcoming election is Democrats' to lose. We don't need missteps like this giving legitimate ammo to conservative media.

Reactions: RamIt

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't think it is helpful attached to a stimulus bill.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
"Creates a $500 billion fund executed by the Treasury Secretary. No serious terms regarding governance or labor reforms. The secretary can waive terms and also not disclose who receives bailouts for six months. "

Yeah....there's *no way* that is abused. No way at all possible that a Trump hotel or resort gets conveniently fast tracked ahead of another business. Unpossible! And not reported on until after the election.