Talk rubber bands

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Used to subscribe to newspaper, so got them that way.

Running out, I bought a box of Alliance blue 3 1/2" x 1/8"non-latex rubber bands, which it is said last a lot longer than latex rubber bands. This was maybe 18 months ago, was running low and shopped again on Amazon and bought orange ones instead (blue either expensive or unavailable, can't remember).

Well, I have found that they do deteriorate (get those small ridges, telltale sign that the rubber's going bad) and will snap.

Searching online I've seen various things said, and they usually have nothing to do with latex free, but just rubber bands in general.

Of course, you buy rubber bands in bulk, most are going to "sit around" until you have a use for them. Are there things you can do to extend their life? Keep them in something close to original condition, preferably for years? I'm particularly interested in these questions as pertains to latex free rubber bands, because that's what I have.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have a zip lock baggie full of the cheapo brownish ones that are at least 10 years old...they seem to be as good as new. (or nearly so.) I suspect it's exposure to light and air that does them in. (so I keep the baggie zipped closed all the time.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a zip lock baggie full of the cheapo brownish ones that are at least 10 years old...they seem to be as good as new. (or nearly so.) I suspect it's exposure to light and air that does them in. (so I keep the baggie zipped closed all the time.
I hate zip-lock bags, but I have a bunch, and yes, I've bought them in bulk, 2 different sizes. Mine, actually, are the kind that have a pull zipper. I suppose maybe the other kind IF YOU ZIP THEM PERFECTLY (PITA) can keep air from getting in/out, which is what's wanted here. It's the ozone, they say, and I have seen something about oxygen too, searching online.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Any kind of airtight container would work.
Would it help to squeeze the air out of it first particularly? I mean a canning jar keeps new air from getting in, but it's possible to reduce air in there to begin with with plastic, either zip bags (squeeze as you zip) or freezer bags and a vacuum sealer.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Would it help to squeeze the air out of it first particularly? I mean a canning jar keeps new air from getting in, but it's possible to reduce air in there to begin with with plastic, either zip bags (squeeze as you zip) or freezer bags and a vacuum sealer.
I think that's getting a little particular. Would it technically help? Yea, I'm sure it would, but I think a sealed jar stored in the dark would be sufficient.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I can't really think of the last time I wanted or needed a rubber band.

Sometimes fresh produce comes with elastic bands, i.e. green onions, broccoli, etc., so we have a few in a drawer that never get used.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a bag of assorted ones, not sure how long I had it but they seem fine just shoved in a bag in a container. I do wonder if sprinkling a small amount of water or maybe even some kind of natural oil could help even more? May need to experiment. It's one of those things I don't use that often but when I do need one it's nice to have them.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I have a bag of assorted ones, not sure how long I had it but they seem fine just shoved in a bag in a container. I do wonder if sprinkling a small amount of water or maybe even some kind of natural oil could help even more? May need to experiment. It's one of those things I don't use that often but when I do need one it's nice to have them.
Wow! This thread has now morphed into a discussion of how to preserve rubber bands.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If cause of rubber rot is oxygen (it's got to at least be one of the usual suspects) and you want to experiment, you can putting them under a nitrogen atmosphere. Then the only issue is can you find something for home use that won't leak much over a period of years.

Reactions: Captante

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
you could vac pac them in like 10 or 20 packs and then open one when you need it.
when i worked in the oil field in the simpson desert in austraila, we would keep all our rubber stuff in a walk in cooler at about 40 degrees and in the dark. seemed to help a lot.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If cause of rubber rot is oxygen (it's got to at least be one of the usual suspects) and you want to experiment, you can putting them under a nitrogen atmosphere. Then the only issue is can you find something for home use that won't leak much over a period of years.
One of the reasons that the recommendation is to replace tires 6 years after their manufacture date (which is on the sidewall), and don't even drive on 10-year-old tires, regardless of how much tread is left.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

You mean the air we breathe is not a nitrogen environment?

Reactions: Charmonium

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wow! This thread has now morphed into a discussion of how to preserve rubber bands.
There's quite a bit of stuff on that on the web if you look for it. Most is for _conventional_ rubber bands, not latex free.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It was a long time ago but I think I found a $50 bill in the street. Didn't worry about it.