Talk me out of getting an Oculus Rift from Best Buy.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-...cs-black/4932000.p?id=bb4932000&skuId=4932000

It's $599 and I don't really have the cash right now to get it, but I have the store card and it'd be 0% interest for 6 months. If I order it now.. I can have it by the weekend.

Wife will kill me too.. But I've wanted one since they were first announced. And now they're in stock (online) and I know we can manage the expense, especially after this month.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
talk you OUT of buying an awesome video gaming gadget on a tech forum?! Crazy talk

Buy it, buy it now.

Feb 4, 2009
If money is tight just wait. Back to school sales are on the horizon and I simply don't see much use for them now.
I know SC would be fun but wait a bit padawan

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Hold off on paying the earlier adopter premium when next year or so you can pick up version 2. Also that'll give time to see how the Rift vs Vive battle works out.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why wait? Get the Betamax.

Doesn't it kind of suck how people spend a lot on these wars and get one that goes obsolete?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I like the HTC Vive better. Prefer the more robust SteamVR tie in that the Vive offers and Room Scale that the Vive offers is the must have tech for VR IMO.

I'd try both before I buy either, but if you can't do that, then get the Vive.

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Why wait? Get the Betamax.

Doesn't it kind of suck how people spend a lot on these wars and get one that goes obsolete?

Yeah, unless you keep it in excellent shape, with all accessories. At which point, you can leave it to your children in your will and they can buy a house with it. First gen (ok, first gen with a wide enough release to matter) VR, on on tBay in 75 years? Should fetch a nice price (the t...stands for Trump....lol).

Why to NOT get one? Well if you get motion sick you may have trouble. That and, its true that the technology will only improve from here (8k to each eye damnit!!).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It's $599 and I don't really have the cash right now to get it, but I have the store card and it'd be 0% interest for 6 months. If I order it now.. I can have it by the weekend.

Wife will kill me too.. But I've wanted one since they were first announced. And now they're in stock (online) and I know we can manage the expense, especially after this month.

Dont have the cash for it...
Going in debt because of it...
Wife will kill you...

That is three strikes and i feel that deserves an out.

in short...
Dont get it, because you dont have the cash for it.
Dont get it, because it will put you in debt, and being in debt sucks.
Dont get the wife pissed at you, because sleeping on the couch really sucks, and so does having your wife be pissed at you, or worse off getting revenge by buying a purse which costs equal or greater to get back at you.

Reactions: MongGrel

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Don't get a Rift, get a Vive. There....or wait until touch controllers are available and THEN get a Rift. There.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Nope

Unless your PC is a monster you'll probably end up disappointed anyway

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007

What you said there is key. Don't get the Oculus or the Vive if you don't have the expendable cash. The Oculus and Vive are for sure luxury items. These are gen1 products; they are both barely ready for consumers. When you have the money again and when games/software is more fleshed out, try them out again. It could be that Oculus 2 or Vive 2 will be just around the corner for maybe cheaper that it is now.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I currently have an Oculus Rift. It belongs to my friend who bought both the Rift and Vive because he couldn't decide which to get (yes he's rich). He ended up loving the Vive, so that means I get to borrow the Rift. While it's REALLY cool, it's also not perfect. Text is blurry is some games (Elite Dangerous being a notable example). I would recommend waiting for version 2, as awesome as it is I'm glad I didn't have to spend money on it.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Wait for Gen 2 or 3. At the time VR will have died or many more games will support it from the ground up. Pricing will more than likely be lower and you will be getting better hardware.

Basically, don't be a guinea pig.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As a few others have said, just get the Vive instead. Yes, it's $200 more, but if you're willing to blow $600 on VR already, I would be willing to say that roomscale is worth the extra money. Seated experiences can be good if you're a fan of things like racing games or stuff like that, but most people that I show the Vive to seem to enjoy the movement games. It's probably also easier to justify it to the wife if you show her how cool it is.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I tried one. Neat, but got bored after 5 min. Spend $600 on one, and hope/pray there will be actual games for it? Hells no!

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I'll throw out another reason...
The #1 rated game on all of Steam is a free Vive game.
441 games and counting on Steam alone... more literally added daily.

But yeah, don't plan on the device being the only cost. There will be more, potentially much more. I've probably spent $2000+ on my setup in the last 2 months. The Vive was part of it, the system upgrades MB, RAM, CPU (from an already VR ready PC lol) were part of it. The 1080 was the last chunk (from a 970). And now I'm looking at having to finally replace my 250GB SSD with a larger one. It's like getting introduced to PC gaming all over again and it's awesome. No regrets. Playing non VR games now takes some persuading.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Get a Vive it's way better in every conceivable way.

i used my friends.

now i'm spending 1300 on my own.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have used both in our tech lab at work and the Vive is way better. I'm talking 6/10 vs 8/10 if I was rating them. Have you tried the Gear Vr? Good way to get a feel.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
The wife is irrelevant. What's relevant is that the Vive is better. Not Wife - VIVE! :)
So..sell the wife...or a kidney or two..and get the Vive. I will too as soon as have the cash. (Boss actually told me he will buy me one if we get more clients). I also wanted a Rift first, but after many reviews and reports, the Vive looks better.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
As someone with a DK2 I'd say either go for a Vive or simply wait for the 2nd generation of VR, they both sport a really bad resolution and we were promised more for launch which we didn't get. Oculus need to unbundle the controller with the CV1 release and lower the price to compete. The 2nd generation of units will have more competition and so will be forced to optimise the builds and prices which will mean cheaper kit and as screen resolutions increase we can start looking at fixing the last VR problem which is resolution and screen door effect, 4k ought to do that nicely and is obtainable in mobile format. Plus the number of games will be better by the time we see a 2nd gen.

With tech, if in doubt, just wait.