Talk me out of a Sony NEX-5

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
I'm an amateur looking for slightly more than a traditional point and shoot but I'm intimidated buy the complexity and size of a SLR.

The NEX-5 is smaller than a SLR with great features that are appealing and a APS-C sensor similar to a SLR. What am I losing by selecting this camera?

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
You're losing a view finder and a larger assortment of lenses. But you're getting a good camera and something that is much more portable than a SLR. My friend got one for Christmas, and I was tempted before I went with the A33.

There's a guy on HardForum that got one because he rides his motorcycle quite a bit: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1544392

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
1. Crappy video mode if that matter to you.
2. Lack of lenses.
3. Available lenses being too big which lead to a balance problem.
4. Nikon is entering mirrorless market in April.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
2. Lack of lenses.
4. Nikon is entering mirrorless market in April.

1. Good point but in comparison it can't be much worse than the Sony Digital Hi-8 camcorder I currently own.
2. I don't see going beyond 2-3 lenses. There are converters for about all the major lenses.
3. Good point.
4. This one interests me. Are their previews of their product line? I couldn't find any.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
4. This one interests me. Are their previews of their product line? I couldn't find any.

The only thing out there is a rumor of an announcement coming in April. So, you'd be looking at another 3 mo wait for the revealing of the line, and then probably August or September for an actual launch.

Just don't neglect other offerings from Olympus or Samsung - their camera's are nice.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
I've been disappointed with the results SLRgear has obtained from the NEX lenses they have tested. I could be crazy but I think it perhaps has to do with trying to conver a (comparitively) huge sensor with such a small lens to sensor distance. Just a guess.

Seems to me that right now they aren't really getting the most out of the sensor they are using unless you use an adapter to use standard Sony DSLR lenses which kinda removes the size benefit.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
I've been disappointed with the results SLRgear has obtained from the NEX lenses they have tested. I could be crazy but I think it perhaps has to do with trying to conver a (comparitively) huge sensor with such a small lens to sensor distance. Just a guess.

Seems to me that right now they aren't really getting the most out of the sensor they are using unless you use an adapter to use standard Sony DSLR lenses which kinda removes the size benefit.

Steve's Digicams and DP review both give them pretty decent reviews. The last paragraph of Steve's really sums up what I'm looking for nicely.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/nex-5/steves-conclusion-105.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page17.asp

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I got an NEX-5 yesterday. It is awesome.

I looked at the Olympus and Panasonic micro-4/3 cameras also. They seem clunky in comparison after you hold the Sony. The Sony is well designed and slick by comparison.

I got both lenses. With the 16mm lens attached and the lens cover on you could slip it into a large pocket, like cargo shorts or a jacket pocket. It might be a little bit of a tight fit in jeans.

I snapped a few pictures of my cat. They look far better than anything I ever got from my point and shoot cameras before this.

The panorama shooting looks like it's going to be cool. I've only tried it indoors so far though, it's made more for large outside scenes.

If you are like me and deciding between the Olympus, Panasonic and Sony, the Sony is the clear winner to me. Otherwise, wait for the next generation cameras are announced like others have suggested. But if you get this one now, you won't be disappointed.

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004
here is my take.

i love my nex5

i have minolta 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 50mm macro, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm and 70-200mm mc/md rokkor lenses i use with the nex5 on top of the two kit lens.

i shoot both video and pictures, and left my canon dslr behind once i started using the nex. it's far from perfect, but it's a great camera.

i shoot everything 30p because i just don't get into the novelty of consumer level 24p. shoots great video, and is one of the few autofocus replaceable lens cameras.

2. Lack of lenses.
only as far as sony made lenses go. most people shooting with the nex5 have found the love of old glass, and there are more then enough options.

if you've ever shot extensively with the nex, you wouldn't even notice. i've found even with the biggest, heaviest lenses, it still has wonderful balance and is a great handheld camera.
plus, it won't weigh you down.

i can't tell you how many people with canon and nikon dslrs hanging from their necks have asked me about my nex, and watched jealously as i effortlessly tote it everywhere, even with a couple of lenses in my gear pockets.