Talk about a bad day.....

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Woke up this morning to make my wife some breakfast when I noticed that some of the things in the freezer seemed to be defrosted. I checked the outlet(s) and they all seemed to be working. The light inside the fridge was on so I cranked up the temp in the fridge to see if it would turn on - nothing.

I figured that the compressor is probably shot or something. I gave my parents a call and asked if I could keep our food in their fridge until our's got fixed. I boxed up all the food and headed to my parents house when some a$$hole decided to make a left hand turn across two lanes and into a McDonald's. I never saw him and he never saw me because their was a huge trackter trailer making a left in front of him. It happened so fast and I tried to swirve to avoid him but couldnt go into the other lane because it was packed with cars waiting for the trackter to turn.

I hit him on the rear passenger side tire. He did a 360 and ended up in the flower garden infront of the McD's. The towing company said my car was probably totaled - but atleast nobody was seriously hurt. I have an abrasion on my head and my neck and back are killing me. I went to the hospital as a precaution.

Neither of my air bags deployed. I was going about 30-35 and was hit on the passenger side. Both of the other driver's airbags had deployed.

Pics

http://i186.photobucket.com/al...oholik24/Mustang1a.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...oholik24/Mustang2b.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang3.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang4.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang5.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang6.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang8.jpg

The adjuster is coming tomorrow to see if its a total loss. What pisses me off is that the car is in prestine condition and is worth much more then the Kelly Blue Book. I had put so many extras into the car so if its totaled I dont think I am going to get fair value. I also dont think there is any engine damage as there were no leaking liquids but there is definately chasis damage so even if they repair it - it may give me problems in the future.

I'm off to eat some dinner. I'll post more later on.

*Update*
Here is a picture of the intersection. Read page 2 for the details.
http://i186.photobucket.com/al.../alkoholik24/photo.jpg

*Update2*

Well, something good happened today. I pulled the fridge away from the wall to vacuum up some dust that had gotten behind it and suddenly it turned on. It has been on for the past couple hours which makes me think there was a short somewhere. I still have the technician coming tomorrow to look at it.

I took a ride down to the autobody place to see if the adjuster had come - nope. I snapped a couple more photos of the car with the hood open. There seemed to be no engine damage as I had expected but there was some damage to the chasis. Here are the pics.

http://i186.photobucket.com/al...koholik24/Mustang9.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...oholik24/Mustang11.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/al...oholik24/Mustang10.jpg

*Update 3*

Got the car back from the repair shop today. They rebuilt the steering column, did some repairs to the rack and pinion, replaced both catalytic converters and replaced a tire. So I get into the car and my satellite radio is missing. I went back in and asked if they had removed it and they didnt know anything. The owner of the shop says the car was brought to a bunch of shops so he doesnt know where it could be.

So I said to him why is the car parked outside with the windows down and unlocked? Anyone off the street could have just opened the car and stolen it which looked like what had happened as it was just ripped off the mount. So they made some calls and they couldnt find it.

The owner apologizes and offers to pay me for it (he wants a receipt) but it was given to me as a gift for xmas. I asked him if it was ok to just print out one off best buy's website and he agrees. The only problem I have now is that particular model is no longer being sold. Should I just print out a newer version of the radio? Also the radio was prepaid for a year should I include that as well?

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Were you drinking? j/k.

Glad to know that you're okay. Hope that you can salvage some of the stuff that you put into the car before the insurance takes it away.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: zoiks
Were you drinking? j/k.
Of course he was, he is alkohoLiK. :wine:

Glad to hear that you're okay. You replace the car/ref/food. Have another checkup with the doctor, just to make sure you don't have any potential/future neck/back problems.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That sucks, however if that is the worst day of your life you must still be pretty young.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Loss of material items is your definition of the worst day in your life? That's just so sad.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Is it or isn't it a GT? I see the GT badge on the trunk lid but nothing on the sides...

[EDIT]Looks like a single exhaust too...[/EDIT]

Viper GTS

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If that's the worst day of your life, you are having a pretty good life, so cheer up.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: amjohns5
Sorry to hear about that, but a lot of people have worse days. Cheer up :)

Best of wishes.
No kidding. Sounds like a crappy day, but if that's truly the worst day of your life, you should feel really lucky.

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
Could you draw a quick MS paint diagram of the accident? I tried reading and re-reading it but I still don't understand how the accident happened? You went straight and he he turned left at the same time as a big truck?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Cars are costly. Insurance and loans, then accidents and maintenance. They're money pits.
I'm not saying you shouldn't invest 20-50k on a new sports car, I'm just saying that's the reality.

I got into at least 2-3 accidents in my 8 years of driving. Two very minor accidents (under 1k worth of damage by hitting curbs or pot holes). I had one major accident where a women pulled out in a red light with her SUV while my car was only a few yards away from the intersection. You want to talk about your life flashing before your eyes! Nothing like hitting the engine compartment of a SUV and then a concrete divider on the road at 35-40 mph. At least the SUV gave, but the concrete divider , as you can imagine , didn't move so easily. All I remember is regaining consciousness trying to catch my breathe because the seat belt (thank god) knocked the wind out of me.

Ever since that accident, I never started my engine before putting on my seat belt and I bitch at any passengers that don't wear theirs.

It's not your worst day. Think of it as an oppertunity. Car pool or get a beater car if you can. Save up or get a week end job. Then get your new Retro Mustang GT with racing stripes ;) . I even heard they're redesigning a new future Mustang for 08' or 09' (not retro).
That car looked like your pride and joy, which is normal for a lot of people, so I can feel your pain and agony by being without it. It will pass and you will learn the term compromise.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Killerme33
Could you draw a quick MS paint diagram of the accident? I tried reading and re-reading it but I still don't understand how the accident happened? You went straight and he he turned left at the same time as a big truck?

Yeah, I'll draw something up later.

Yes, I'm still young and havent had that many bad things happen in my life. It was a little bit of an exaggeration of being the worst day of my life....it just sucked.

I had wanted to buy my wife a new car in december but now it looks like I have to buy myself one. I have to wait until the adjuster comes to see what is going to happen.

And good eye there Viper....its not a GT. I had wanted a GT when I bought it back in 1998 but couldnt afford the extra cost and insurance (I was only 19). My dad worked for Ford and stuck the GT badge on it. I tried to take it off but it was going to take the paint off and leave some marks so I just left it on. So the dead giveaway to real mustang enthusiasts is the single exhaust and no fog lights....as well as the smaller engine/speed etc.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
The towing company said you car was probably totaled? From the pics the damage seems light - the front clip, lights, hood and one fender, and some paint. Either they think you got a POS car, and are trying to get your hopes up, or those pictures don't convey the extent of the damage. The car ain't totaled.

Anyway, sorry for the bad luck.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
OP - the worst day of your life??????????????

c'mon, a bad day....u could have even said a horrible day...but the worst day of your life??? i think u need a new perspective. the worst day of your life would be like u being seriously injured from that accident & requiring extensive surgeries and physical therapies for months on end. and gawd forbid anything would have happened to any of the other drivers from that accident.

/rant

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I doubt it's totaled from the damage I saw. It's a newer model, and if the bags didn't go off, the company will probably authorize repairs. I ended up totaling my front end worse than yours and it was rebuilt.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Is it or isn't it a GT? I see the GT badge on the trunk lid but nothing on the sides...

[EDIT]Looks like a single exhaust too...[/EDIT]

Viper GTS

I think (I could be wrong) that the 6 cylinder mustangs exhaust on the passenger side. Debadging seems to be the "in" thing to do these days, I'll bet he pulled the side badges instead of adding a GT badge to a non-GT mustang. (edit) it does have the pony badges on the side which are not GT badges. Interesting.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: alkohoLiK
The adjuster is coming tomorrow to see if its a total loss. What pisses me off is that the car is in prestine condition and is worth much more then the Kelly Blue Book. I had put so many extras into the car so if its totaled I dont think I am going to get fair value. . .

If the other driver's insurance is going to pay for your damages, can't you claim all the extras you put into the car? (If it's YOUR insurance, I'm guessing you did not buy coverage for the fancy stuff.)

Nice car--it looks like you took great care of it. :(

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
That sucks. That's one reason I won't spend much on a car, the other being it isn't a good return on investment. All it takes to really ruin things is one idiot - and there's 6.5 billion on earth so the odds are great that you'll come across them.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
nobody really hurt = check
ONLY a slight monetary(fridge/food) and time loss(time lost today and other hassles of car repair/replacement) = check
likely repair or replacement of car from insurance = check
sounds like a crappy day but as others have said, if its your worst day, then you've been blessed.