Taliban alive and well in South Dakota - House Passes Bill Criminalizing Abortions

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum
As someone who was born in the 27th week, I can say unequivocally that life "begins" before "birth".

Perhaps it is better to define the beginning of life as the point where the child is able to live independent of the mother - which would eliminate third trimester abortions, certainly, and possibly second trimester abortions.

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
How about the line is drawn when a human fetus is visually different from the fetus of the closest ape that is allowed to be hunted.

Zephyr

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Do you all realize that you could have been aborted as a fetus? Doesn't that scare anyone else, or at least raise an eyebrow? Knowing that my mother could have made that choice just sickens me...

How about life begins when the first brain cell forms? Be it 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months after conception, whatever... This gives some half-way responsible people a small window of opportunity to get a very early abortion.

As to your question, it bothers me only when I think in abstract and irrational terms. So many different sperms and eggs could have combined to form something similiar to, but not me. Do you cry for all the sperm and eggs that never made it?

<-- socially liberal, morally conservative, mostly pro-life Christian democrat.

Nope... sure don't. Like I said, it sickens me, I don't get teary-eyed about it. Sure, the sperm and eggs could have combined a billion different ways, but by the time an abortion can occur, there is only one combination... and that is YOU or ME. It is unique, and ireplicable in every way.

True, but we're still talking potential for a human being vs a human being. Potential dies or is lost in huge amounts daily... Whats the difference between a sperm and egg thats separate vs two seconds later when its joined - besides the symbolic? IT's still only potential. Like I said, a not so arbitrary point is when the brain begins to form. Get it?

The same could be said about living, breathing humans; could it not?

"Whats the difference between a sperm and egg thats separate vs two years later when its joined? It's still only potential, and half the people in the world don't use it anyway..."

Other than conception, tell me one other time during the formation of a fetus that the line can be drawn... just one.

dude, learn how to read before you spew.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Do you all realize that you could have been aborted as a fetus? Doesn't that scare anyone else, or at least raise an eyebrow? Knowing that my mother could have made that choice just sickens me...

How about life begins when the first brain cell forms? Be it 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months after conception, whatever... This gives some half-way responsible people a small window of opportunity to get a very early abortion.

As to your question, it bothers me only when I think in abstract and irrational terms. So many different sperms and eggs could have combined to form something similiar to, but not me. Do you cry for all the sperm and eggs that never made it?

Nope... sure don't. Like I said, it sickens me, I don't get teary-eyed about it. Sure, the sperm and eggs could have combined a billion different ways, but by the time an abortion can occur, there is only one combination... and that is YOU or ME. It is unique, and ireplicable in every way.

True, but we're still talking potential for a human being vs a human being. Potential dies or is lost in huge amounts daily... Whats the difference between a sperm and egg thats separate vs two seconds later when its joined - besides the symbolic? IT's still only potential. Like I said, a not so arbitrary point is when the brain begins to form. Get it?

"Whats the difference between a sperm and egg thats separate vs two years later when its joined? It's still only potential, and half the people in the world don't use it anyway..."

Other than conception, tell me one other time during the formation of a fetus that the line can be drawn... just one.

So, what exactly happens when an fetus develops a brain? All of a sudden it becomes human?

Every other animal in the world also develops a brain, but they are not human... so, what separates us humans from every other animal? Surely there is something...

Learn how to back up your comments before you answer, "dude".

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000

So, what exactly happens when an fetus develops a brain? All of a sudden it becomes human?

Every other animal in the world also develops a brain, but they are not human... so, what separates us humans from every other animal? Surely there is something...

You need to grow some reasoning skills.

When a human fetus develops a human brain, you can make a strong case that it transforms from human potential (ie sperm and egg, sperm and egg combined) to human. Other animals don't grow a human brain, but of course you already know that. :)

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
There has never been a case where doctors could say for sure that a mother would die if she gave birth. There have been several cases where doctors have said the mother would die and the mother decided to have her baby and she did not die.
Doctors are not qualified to tell someone that they are going to die because it is really up to God.So no exceptions not for rape or for medical reasons.
That 8 year old someone mentioned while I am skeptical of her existence if she were real she is s perfectly capable with doctors help of delivering that baby.Her parents would have to decide if they will raise the baby though. Adoption for babies is a good option. Imany older children might go unadopted but not one single baby goes unadopted.Babies are very wanted in lots of good homes.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: BugsBunny1078
There has never been a case where doctors could say for sure that a mother would die if she gave birth. There have been several cases where doctors have said the mother would die and the mother decided to have her baby and she did not die.
Doctors are not qualified to tell someone that they are going to die because it is really up to God.So no exceptions not for rape or for medical reasons.
That 8 year old someone mentioned while I am skeptical of her existence if she were real she is s perfectly capable with doctors help of delivering that baby.Her parents would have to decide if they will raise the baby though. Adoption for babies is a good option. Imany older children might go unadopted but not one single baby goes unadopted.Babies are very wanted in lots of good homes.

There's a certain measure of emotional attachment one makes to an 8 year old that hasn't wuite deveolped with an unborn child. The high risk involved with such a child, plus the sick and twisted connotations which the infant is associated in cases of incest or rape, makes abortion a forgiveable decision for me in these rare cases.

But for the most part, I am pro-life.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
All conflicts, or the inability to reach a compromise, are rooted in one of two things - misinformation or selfishness.

What about ignorance?

gah, I promised myself I would'nt post in this thread, now see what you've done?!

instigator

;)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo
All conflicts, or the inability to reach a compromise, are rooted in one of two things - misinformation or selfishness.

What about ignorance?

gah, I promised myself I would'nt post in this thread, now see what you've done?!

instigator

;)

I do what I can. :p

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: nutxo

What about ignorance?

instigator

;)

That goes under misinformation.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000

You need to grow some reasoning skills.

When a human fetus develops a human brain, you can make a strong case that it transforms from human potential (ie sperm and egg, sperm and egg combined) to human. Other animals don't grow a human brain, but of course you already know that. :)

So are you going to tell me if my point is valid or not, or are you going to cower?

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Wow, so surprising to see the pics of late term abortions and say that all abortions are like that. Most aren't.

I found it pretty sick that you'd put an 8 year old child through the trauma of being pregnant and then giving birth because she was raped?

At least you can sleep comfortable in the thought that you will never have to carry to term the child of someone who so horrifically violated you. Try to imagine carrying the child of someone who forced you to have sex with them for 9 months and then giving birth to that child. Rape is hard enough to deal with without producing a living reminder of it.

Let's not also forget that not all children are adopted, you are fooling yourself if you think that is the case.
Adoption Stats
Abortion Stats
So, 600000 abortions 140000 adoptions. Leaves a lot of unwanted kids out there doesn't it? My apologies for not using sensationilist sites for my info backing. Just as an added bonus notice more than half of the abortions were 8 weeks or less, no producing anything like in those links you've provided. Enjoy!

I think if you aren't will to accept the idea that birth is when a fetus becomes a human then the development of a central nervous systems seems fair enough. Single cell organsims react to stimuli but only something with a nervous system can feel pain.

And yes I could've been aborted but then...I wouldn't know that would I? Maybe if my mom's first husband hadn't been killed in a car accident I wouldn't be born either, what ifs don't buy me much. Maybe some abused unwanted child that will one day become a murderer would have been better off had abortion been legal. Talking about maybe's does nothing.

Of course, I'm merely saying things you won't hear. There isn't reasoning with someone who's beliefs are extreme as yours.

Just out of curiousity, do you only have sex to procreate? Of course you do only have unprotected sex with no birth control since any other way is ending a possibility.

<-- Doesn't believe the government should EVER be able to tell someone what to do with their body as long as they aren't harming another person (fetuses aren't people). I definitely don't think men should be saying what women should be allowed to do with their bodies.

Edited to add abortion and adoption stats

FrodoB

Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CountZero
Wow, so surprising to see the pics of late term abortions and say that all abortions are like that. Most aren't.

I found it pretty sick that you'd put an 8 year old child through the trauma of being pregnant and then giving birth because she was raped?

At least you can sleep comfortable in the thought that you will never have to carry to term the child of someone who so horrifically violated you. Try to imagine carrying the child of someone who forced you to have sex with them for 9 months and then giving birth to that child. Rape is hard enough to deal with without producing a living reminder of it.

Let's not also forget that not all children are adopted, you are fooling yourself if you think that is the case.

I think if you aren't will to accept the idea that birth is when a fetus becomes a human then the development of a central nervous systems seems fair enough. Single cell organsims react to stimuli but only something with a nervous system can feel pain.

And yes I could've been aborted but then...I wouldn't know that would I? Maybe if my mom's first husband hadn't been killed in a car accident I wouldn't be born either, what ifs don't buy me much. Maybe some abused unwanted child that will one day become a murderer would have been better off had abortion been legal. Talking about maybe's does nothing.

Of course, I'm merely saying things you won't hear. There isn't reasoning with someone who's beliefs are extreme as yours.

Just out of curiousity, do you only have sex to procreate? Of course you do only have unprotected sex with no birth control since any other way is ending a possibility.

<-- Doesn't believe the government should EVER be able to tell someone what to do with their body as long as they aren't harming another person (fetuses aren't people). I definitely don't think men should be saying what women should be allowed to do with their bodies.

That's where you are wrong. The process of human life begins at conception. If you disrupt this process, you essentially destroy human life. MURDER. This isn't an extremist concept. It's pure logic.
2 wrongs don't make a right. I think rape is a horrible thing and I think rapists should be subject to extreme punishment. But I don't think that it is justification to commit another gruesome injustice.
Your example of birth control is not a valid one. Human life is not set into motion if conception does not occur.
The fetus is a person and it's the government's duty to protect each and every life. Men have every right to voice what they believe. SInce when does gender matter when discussing the protection of human life.
I'm sorry, but your reasoning is poor. There is no logic to it. Abortion is undeniably MURDER.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: FrodoB
Originally posted by: CountZero

That's where you are wrong. The process of human life begins at conception. If you disrupt this process, you essentially destroy human life. MURDER. This isn't an extremist concept. It's pure logic.
2 wrongs don't make a right. I think rape is a horrible thing and I think rapists should be subject to extreme punishment. But I don't think that it is justification to commit another gruesome injustice.
Your example of birth control is not a valid one. Human life is not set into motion if conception does not occur.
The fetus is a person and it's the government's duty to protect each and every life. Men have every right to voice what they believe. SInce when does gender matter when discussing the protection of human life.
I'm sorry, but your reasoning is poor. There is no logic to it. Abortion is undeniably MURDER.

Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Gods At Work

It's sure to revive international controversy over whether to ban all human cloning, as the Bush administration wants.

The Seoul researchers collected 242 eggs from 16 unpaid volunteers. Each woman also donated some cells from her ovary.

Embryonic stem cells are the body's building blocks, cells from which all other tissue types spring. They're present in an embryo only days after conception and are ethically sensitive because culling stem cells destroys the embryo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooooh, 16 women and scientist's killed 242 humans in a petrie dish, better lock em all up and give them lethal injections right away.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
FrodoB - Could you scroll up and read what I wrote and tell me if you feel it has any validity? That is, to arbitrarily consider an egg and a sperm a "human" just because they've joined to form one cell doesn't mean much. But perhaps when the cells have divided to where brain cells have begun to form, perhaps you can consider that to be the cutoff point. That sounds reasonable to me and also gives those semi-responsible folks out there a small window of opportunity to get an abortion.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
FrodoB - Could you scroll up and read what I wrote and tell me if you feel it has any validity? That is, to arbitrarily consider an egg and a sperm a "human" just because they've joined to form one cell doesn't mean much. But perhaps when the cells have divided to where brain cells have begun to form, perhaps you can consider that to be the cutoff point. That sounds reasonable to me and also gives those semi-responsible folks out there a small window of opportunity to get an abortion.

lol people stil going on on this thread?

the scientific evidence shows without a doubt that at the moment of conception a."it" is a living growing organism b. "it" is shown to be human through genetic identification. thus a living human...PERIOD.

everything else is an argument based on justification.

goodnight.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
You ignored my part about a central nervous system as you've ignored busmaster's claim.

The fact is the argument over abortion is really an argument over when life begins. You say it starts when a sperm and egg join, thats not FACT its your opinion. There is no consensus on when life actually starts.

Given that you can argue that perhaps a middle line would be when a brain or central nervous system begins developing. Before this point whatever it is could probably be scarcely considered a fetus let alone a human.

You will of course retort that life starts at conception and this could go on ad nauseum.

And by making a rape victim carry the rapists child to term you are punishing them as well. There is a procedure that would allow that to not happen but you claim its a form of murder so too bad.

To not agree with abortion is one thing, and stems from the when does life begin case but to say that a rape victim is not allowed an abortion is well...wrong, more wrong then the murder of something without even a nervous system. Two wrongs don't make a right but making the person carry the child constitutes a wrong in my eyes. So either way you get two wrongs, why can't the woman decide?

And it is a gender issue because it is far easier for a man to say 'live with the consequences' when they are not the ones that must live with them.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
the fact is that even the catholic church used to be ok with abortions until a fetus "quickened"... the fact is most conceptions are flushed as unoticed miscarraiges anyways, god is a big ass abortionist.

i really don't see a huge shortage of orphans... it doesn't seem like anti abortion people put their money were their mouth is:p

its simply religious fanatics trying to impose their beliefs upon everyone, just like in the middle east. never happy enough that they have the freedom to believe and live their own lives the way they choose. they must impose it forcefully on others. giving others the freedom to disagree is not an option, infidels must be crushed!!

seriously, its absurd and totally based on religion. a dish with 4 cells. a religious person would say thats a human being. others would disagree and say its 4 cells. would i trade those 4 cells to save my dog? F8ck yes!

FrodoB

Apr 5, 2001
I don't care about the different stages of development. It means nothing. And it's not my opinion that life begins at conception. It's a fact. At that point, this new life is set into motion. I don't care about the stages of development (like the brain or central nervous system). All of those things happen after the fact. You can spin it any way you want, but you will never convince me because I know I'm right and you're wrong. I'm not being closed-minded or religious crazed. You're not destroying the potential of development, you're destroying the actual development of a human. It's wrong and it's primitive.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: FrodoB
I don't care about the different stages of development. It means nothing. And it's not my opinion that life begins at conception. It's a fact. At that point, this new life is set into motion. I don't care about the stages of development (like the brain or central nervous system). All of those things happen after the fact. You can spin it any way you want, but you will never convince me because I know I'm right and you're wrong. I'm not being closed-minded or religious crazed. You're not destroying the potential of development, you're destroying the actual development of a human. It's wrong and it's primitive.

How is it human before any definitive brain cells have formed? Do you know any humans without a single brain cell?

How is a small shapeless bundle of cells any more than potential?

How can the immediate union of sperm and egg arbitrarily be considered any different then the two separated? Do we need to go out and extract and save all the sperm and eggs from every man and woman so we're not murdering?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yes, i'd like to know if he'd choose to save a cluster of 4 cells over say...his dog if forced to choose.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

its simply religious fanatics trying to impose their beliefs upon everyone, just like in the middle east. never happy enough that they have the freedom to believe and live their own lives the way they choose. they must impose it forcefully on others. giving others the freedom to disagree is not an option, infidels must be crushed!!

seriously, its absurd and totally based on religion. a dish with 4 cells. a religious person would say thats a human being. others would disagree and say its 4 cells. would i trade those 4 cells to save my dog? F8ck yes!

I love how pro-choicers absolutely refuse to acknowledge that anyone could be pro-life for other than religious reasons. That makes it all the easier to avoid serious debate on the subject - just throw out a few words like "extremists" and "Taliban", and you don't have to think too hard, right?
rolleye.gif
If you're interested in reading about the pro-life position from a secular perspective, check out www.godlessprolifers.org, or the writings of such atheist (and very liberal) pro-lifers as Nat Hentoff. These people are out there, although they don't get much press - the pro-choice side isn't going to give up on their intellectual cowardice any time soon.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its one thing to be pro life, its another thing to force your beliefs on others. the fanatics want to force their beliefs on others. some pro choicers would never have an abortion themselves, they just don't feel arrogant enough to make that choice for others.