Taliban alive and well in South Dakota - House Passes Bill Criminalizing Abortions

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo

Obviously you missed the sarcasm in my posts. Most females I knwo that have had an abortion seem to get pregnant again very soon, as if to replace the child that was never born.

Sarcasm is a very hard one in a thread like this....however you say most females you know that have had an abortion...

This is now a group of post-abortion women...1) that is rare they discuss it, 2) it is a HIGHLY minor group to begin with, 3) it's not common for a woman to make the same mistake twice.

I have seen / heard things equally unlikely that were true....but I somehow think this is a couple women possibly a friend of a friend of a friend situation.

What I find laughable is many males attitudes about abortion, whos only reason for supporting it is to wiggle out of responsibility. Then hide behind "it a womans right to chose".

This is why I feel there should be limits on you can vote and determine issues like this. Most of the people voting on these issues have no idea really what they are about. Politicians love that, people just like to be able to 'make a difference' and have something they can use to make themselves percieved as a better person.

For arguments sake lemme asl a question please? If a couple signed a contract to the effect of if the woman gets pregnant she MUST have an abortion do you think it would hold up in court?

That's a flawed question as well...1) the law of the area will come into play first....2) her and his age will be important, most of these abortions are by young people who themselves are probably under 18.

I am not sure if this case hasn't already made it to the system, but if not I am sure it will be a long drawn out issue providing abortion is not illegal in the area and the woman was at the age of majority at the time of her pregnancy, nor under any 'substance' that could influence her judgement...etc.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Of course I know it's not completely illegal in Nevada... but the areas that do allow brothels are far and few. Since you are to wrapped up in your faulty argument to read my post correctly, I will re-phrase it for you:

The whole point of our government is to limit the rights of its citizens TO A CERTAIN DEGREE when it is in the best interest of the population while at the same time, following the will of its citizens.

So, your argument that "men have no say over a woman's choice" is not only faulty, but just plain ignorant.

That's not what I said at all. Also the laws of our country are more complex then limiting rights and following will. It should be just that, but that's only what happens in textbooks. You have things like bundling laws into one vote...vote for issue 1 and 2 unrelated issues are voted on as well.

My stand is the male should have a say....however I have no idea how to ethically make that happen. If everyone was honest laws would be simple. However, you have to count on most tests of the law will be by dishonest people.

In today's society: 9 times out of 10 if the criminal portrays himself/herself as the victim (and the act is bought) they almost walk penalty-free.

Keep in mind today's laws are not about what's right, they are about what's percieved to be right. Most also are passed from fear and requesting the government control us/limit us....that was never the intention....laws should never take away certain freedoms, but there are a ton of cowards that think they would feel safer with their McMuffin and SUV on their morning commutes if martial law was declared.

Å

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Obviously you missed the sarcasm in my posts. Most females I knwo that have had an abortion seem to get pregnant again very soon, as if to replace the child that was never born.

Sarcasm is a very hard one in a thread like this....however you say most females you know that have had an abortion...

This is now a group of post-abortion women...1) that is rare they discuss it, 2) it is a HIGHLY minor group to begin with, 3) it's not common for a woman to make the same mistake twice.

I have seen / heard things equally unlikely that were true....but I somehow think this is a couple women possibly a friend of a friend of a friend situation.

What I find laughable is many males attitudes about abortion, whos only reason for supporting it is to wiggle out of responsibility. Then hide behind "it a womans right to chose".

This is why I feel there should be limits on you can vote and determine issues like this. Most of the people voting on these issues have no idea really what they are about. Politicians love that, people just like to be able to 'make a difference' and have something they can use to make themselves percieved as a better person.

For arguments sake lemme asl a question please? If a couple signed a contract to the effect of if the woman gets pregnant she MUST have an abortion do you think it would hold up in court?

That's a flawed question as well...1) the law of the area will come into play first....2) her and his age will be important, most of these abortions are by young people who themselves are probably under 18.

I am not sure if this case hasn't already made it to the system, but if not I am sure it will be a long drawn out issue providing abortion is not illegal in the area and the woman was at the age of majority at the time of her pregnancy, nor under any 'substance' that could influence her judgement...etc.

Å

I did'nt mean that most females I know have had an abortion. I do know quite a few that have had abortions. They've either told me themselves or it comes through my wife.

Anyways, if you couldnt have a contract like that because a person was to young, how can they sign the releases for an abortion?

edit, oh yeh. And 2 of them have had multiple abortions.

dejacky

Banned
Dec 17, 2000
it is a law based on religious morals

..All the reason why this law is Unconstitutional in my opinion. The House needs to take a course in Philosophy called ETHICS. It can be taken at Dallas community colleges for ~$90. They need it. :disgust:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I did'nt mean that most females I know have had an abortion. I do know quite a few that have had abortions. They've either told me themselves or it comes through my wife.

Anyways, if you couldnt have a contract like that because a person was to young, how can they sign the releases for an abortion?

edit, oh yeh. And 2 of them have had multiple abortions.

That is just way odd your wife knowing all these abortion women....it's statistically not probable but it happens yeah. Some women I have known have 'claimed' abortions but really didn't have them...for whatever their reasons were to say this I don't know. I know one brought it up at a party and described the coat hanger the 'doctor' used (she said went to a real clinic, but the idiot thought all abortions were done with a hanger :confused: ). On a side note we were also able to get her to use 'Maintain' as a lip balm. She wasn't the brightest in the bunch. :)

Since you have all these women that have done it you should know that most places will require a release signed by the girl's parent. There is a lot of work on that law I can't remember the name of it, but it covers medical care on minors....the physcian must contact the parents. I am not sure if it's changable on a state level.