Tales from the Borderlands - Telltale Games + Borderlands

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I am not sure about that part about what happened to Jack and why. That is part of why I dont like TPS I think. Jack was such an evil manipulative character in BL2, seems kind of two faced to try to come back and make him a sympathetic character, especially the way they did it. Just my opinion though, if you like that plot angle, I can understand it.

I don't think they tried to make him all that sympathetic--they did show that he was quickly taking a shine to being a murderous psycopath. But I do like that they reminded us that, in the end, the vault hunters always have had this tendency as well. I mean, come on--90% of the fun of playing Lilith is her rather frank enjoyment of murder in that world, as you will hear her exclaim while spreading bullets everywhere.

Though, yeah, it was made rather claim that had it not been for that intervention, Jack would not have been the villain he was. I dunno, I like it primarily because players maybe didn't quite take the time to realize that the main heroes in all of the games are rather terrible people, as well. (Though in TPS, Nisha is probably the worst of all in the series. Willem too, I guess, but he's just emotionless. Nisha is sadistic)

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Picked up Tales from the Borderlands during the Steam sale, very enjoyable thus far. The game itself is split into 5 chapters (all of which are/will be included in the purchase price) with 2 available right now and the 3rd being released in a week or two. So far each chapter is about 2-2.5 hours.

I could get used to this really. It's more like an interactive movie/storybook than a traditional game - which is perfect for me, I love the Borderlands humor/writing/characters/style but get tired pretty quick of it's repetetive FPS mechanics. I played the first chapter with KB/M but just sat back in my chair with a controller for the second, played perfectly well.

As for the story it's pretty classic Borderlands. Blood, crude humor, vault hunting, bandits but still a bit of heart/gravity underneath it all. It features mostly new faces though a couple old friends/enemies show up along the way as well. Well worth the price of admission IMO, though it is going to kind of blow waiting another ~3m for chapter 4 lol.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on this...I spaced how much I wanted to check this out being a huge fan of Borderlands.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I don't think they tried to make him all that sympathetic--they did show that he was quickly taking a shine to being a murderous psycopath.

I've only played the first part of TPS, but the scene with The Merrif showed how coming to Pandora / Elpis changed him.
he was going to spare the Merrif, then the Merrif shoots him in the back. He learns that a) mercy doesn't work -and- b) he likes killing people. You see events twisting him into the Jack we know.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Bump for being a month+ late on playing Chapter 3 but it was great. I paused a few parts simply because I was laughing enough that I didn't want to miss anything. Also Ch3 started including a few 'heavier' choices that I'd really be curious to see the outcome of if they played out differently, I think once I finish this playthrough (...in 6m probably lol) I could see myself doing it again by trying some different options. Additionally towards the end of this chapter the tone got just a bit more serious which I like. I think Borderlands is at it's best when it takes itself a little more seriously and punctuates/accentuates it with the goofy BL characters/humor.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've never played/bought a Telltale game. Is the advertised price the price for all chapters? So you buy it once, then the chapters are added to your game once each is released?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've never played/bought a Telltale game. Is the advertised price the price for all chapters? So you buy it once, then the chapters are added to your game once each is released?

As long as it says you get all chapters you do. You have to be careful though sometimes some places advertise a sale on just the first chapter and that's it, but they call it out.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't know if individual chapters can be purchased - I don't remember seeing them at least. As far as I know though I just bought "Tales from the Borderlands" on Steam and it includes all five chapters. Only two were available at purchase and it downloaded and installed them both initially and once the third was available Steam downloaded/installed it just like a game patch. No additional codes or purchase or anything.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

In my experience*, Telltale doesn't sell its games as chapters on PC. Albeit, I normally go through Steam for their games, so other sites could be different. However, if you're buying it on mobile, they do usually have an option to buy it separately or as a package.

*"My experience" is having purchased Back to the Future, Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Ep4 just released, was only two months between 3 and 4 which is nice. I thought it was a 3 month release schedule.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The final episode, 5, released about a week ago. Thoroughly enjoyable climax. It never loses the Borderlands flavor but expands on the formula with more developed characters and a legitimate story that goes beyond simply "find a vault". Well worth the price of admission.