Taking supplements to help gain weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I'm 5'10", 24 years old, and have been skinny my whole life. About a year ago I weighed ~125lbs, started working out around March, slacked off over the summer, started working out again regularly in September and now have a routine where I hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I started eating more/more frequently, and peaked at 150lbs about a month ago. I got sick and am now down to 145lbs, but I am looking better than I did last year. I now have defined muscle and I like where I am heading, but I am interested in taking supplements to help me gain weight/muscle.

Not really sure what I should be looking into, whether I should take whey protein or something else? I am not looking to win strongman competitions or fight UFC, I know I will have a rather slim build for the rest of my life. I just want to get to ~180lbs and have a defined body. Any suggestions, or any more questions that I should have answered?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Try this.

EDIT: Found the accompanying spreadsheet. Some functions are broken I believe but the majority of the spreadsheet works.

From what I understand, the lean gains approach is to gain muscle without gaining fat. Since you mentioned you wanted to hit 180 lbs, you probably want to select the Bulk option on the excel sheet. I personally use whey protein, and find it to be an easy way of meeting my protein intake requirements. As long as you keep the protein intake high and maintain a consistent workout regiment, you should be fine.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I'm the same as you - was 5'10" 135lbs for a long time. Decided I was too skinny about a year and a half ago and posted a thread here asking the same question. I basically followed the advice in that thread - now a lean 166-168lbs, squat 1.5x that and deadlift 2x that.

Basically drink a lot of whole milk for protein and extra calories, 1/2 gallon or so a day, and eat decent foods other than that and you'll be set if you have a decent workout routine. I recommend starting strength, none of that "workout machine" nonsense.

If you have a good blender, smoothies are an easy source of decent, raw foods. I've been making one of these a day:

-1 banana
-1 apple
-1/2-1 cup broccoli (frozen)
-1/2-1 cup spinach (frozen)
-2 cups OJ
-1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked obviously)
-2 eggs
-2 tablespoons olive oil

I don't necessarily recommend the eggs because putting raw eggs in stuff seems sketchy, but I've been fine so far and they taste amazing :p

Whey protein is good if you don't wanna drink that much milk and can't get 100-150g protein elsewhere.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
1) Eat in a caloric surplus, get 1g protein per pound of body weight.
2) Find a lifting program you can enjoy.
3) Be consistent. Don't skip meals, don't skip workouts.

At some point or another, you'll get to a point where you can go on a cut and lose the body fat. Same rules apply, just eat at a caloric deficit.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Gaining weight is rather easy for the most part, you have to consume enough calories. High metabolism people need more than an average increase, but you need calories. Most of the weight gain powders today are easy on the stomach and will do the job. You gotta become a better eater.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
If you think you can swing managing the bulking and cutting phases, I'd say go that route (by following the advice mentioned previously here) rather than attempting a "clean bulk." I did the latter at your same height and almost your same starting weight (150-155 lbs.), and 12-13 years later, have just now consistently started hitting the 180-185 lbs. range (due in large part to no cardio couple with eating a bit more; my comfort zone weight is closer to 175-180).

You could certainly do it more quickly than that, as I wasn't actively trying to gain weight during any portion of those 12-13 years. However, it'll go much more slowly than bulking and cutting. If you were only aiming for 5 or maybe 10 lbs., I'd say a slow, clean bulk would be ok, as it could then give you something to constantly work toward (given that you aren't trying to make a certain weight class for shows or competitions). However, for 30 lbs., a clean bulk is going to take forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.