Taking skating lessions and....

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
I am a 31 year old Canadian who moved around the world a lot as a youngster. As a result, I never got to be a very good skater. Since I really want to play ice hockey, I decided to sign up for lessons in the new city I just moved to (Abingdon, MD).

Well, I go out last night and the sum of the ages of all the people in my class is less than mine :eek:

Apart from the instructors, I am the only person on the ice over 14. There are a couple of 6/7 year olds in my class. To top it all off, I am one of the very few people wearing a helmet.

Talk about having to swallow my pride. :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Bahahaha!

Skating LESSIONS, huh? Learning skating by taking lessons will most probably give you LESIONS. As in cuts, contusions, bruises, broken bones and stitches.

Other than that, sounds like Big Fun! :D

ps
Glad you're wearing a helmet, though.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
As a fellow Canuk I didn't learn till I was 16 got a job opening and closing an outdoor rink 7 days a week so hrs of pratice everyday got me there but still wasn't as fluid as some of those guys who had em on at 4.
Its nice your making an effort though skating isn't a real 'natural skill'

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
hahaha, you're wearing a helmet?

I bet the little kids go up to thier parents after class and whisper "Mommy, is that boy in the 'special class' at school?"

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I took lessons when I was 11 or 12. Learned a lot and have now taught my 12yo son how to skate backwards and such... :D

Nothing wrong with doing it now... If any kids laugh at you just push 'em over. ;)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If any of those kids give you a hard time just check 'em into the boards. That'll teach 'em.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
If any of those kids give you a hard time just check 'em into the boards. That'll teach 'em.

They probably haven't covered checking in his class yet, so he probably doesn't know how to do it. :)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Perhaps you should have signed up for spelling LESSONS instead?

:p

Keep at it man...skating is a blast.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark
I took lessons when I was 11 or 12. Learned a lot and have now taught my 12yo son how to skate backwards and such... :D

Nothing wrong with doing it now... If any kids laugh at you just push 'em over. ;)

Actually, my trick is to fall on them. Much more effective than pushing them and it gives me an excuse.