TAKING SCREENSHOTS IN WIN NT 4?

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
hi,

i need to take a screenshot of the "log on" screen of winNT 4 for a project and cant seem to do it... does anyone have any pics of that screen or know how to take the screen? also, i need one of the "unlock workstation" one... its a faq/how-to for windows newbies at my dads company for those who are interested...

BreakApart

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2000
Easy....

Install VNC as a service on the NT machine you wish to get the screenshot from.(start VNC in listen/apps mode)
Install VNC on a 2nd pc to capture the screenshot.(start VNCviewer connect to pc 1)
Connect the 2nd pc to the 1st using VNC, now use the keyboard on the 1st pc to lock the workstation.
-take the screenshot that appears on the 2nd pc-through VNC.
now ctrl-alt-del using the 1st pcs keyboard to get-to the log-on screen.
-take another screenshot that appears on the 2nd pc.

There you go...

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
damn u made that sound easy :)

a couple doubts:

whats vnc? do i just have to enable it or actually install it?

is there no other way to do this that doesnt require installing stuff? (my dad is a little wary about letting me anywhere near his computer after my overclocking experiments went horribly wrong :p)

thx!

BreakApart

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2000

<< whats vnc? do i just have to enable it or actually install it? >>

VNC

<< is there no other way to do this that doesnt require installing stuff? (my dad is a little wary about letting me anywhere near his computer after my overclocking experiments went horribly wrong :p) >>

I don't see any otherway to capture a "locked" screen on an NT machine, other than running a background service program of some kind.
There may be another program that can do the same thing i described, but chances are you'll still be installing a program.

You COULD simply do this using a "testing" NT machine, or simply a non-critical workstation. You don't have to use a server, or a mission critical system. I would have sent the screenshots to you, but they would include MY network info and not yours, may confuse "new" people trying to learn your system.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Have you tried to press the PrtScrn button and then after logging in, paste the clipboard into Paint?

BreakApart

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2000

<< Have you tried to press the PrtScrn button and then after logging in, paste the clipboard into Paint? >>

Doesn't work

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<<

<< Have you tried to press the PrtScrn button and then after logging in, paste the clipboard into Paint? >>

Doesn't work
>>

breakapart
dude can you send me your screens please? i really dont have the time or permission to install stuff on the machines and i might be able to use the screens... what id been doing up to now is just creating a dummy form in VB to simulate the windows logon one and taking a screenshot of that... thing is i cant get the little icons with the keys and stuff and altho when u come to think about it its not essential it would look really pretty
rolleye.gif
:D

like if i PM u with my email addy could u plz send me some logon / unlock screens? id be eternally greatful!

BreakApart

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2000
PM your email address to me, i'll throw together the screen shots for you tomorrow morning.....i'll just blur-out the domain names.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<< PM your email address to me, i'll throw together the screen shots for you tomorrow morning.....i'll just blur-out the domain names. >>

consider it done! :)