Taking a trip in the time machine...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I got a brand new, sealed copy of Gabriel Knight 3 off ebay (man, an old game that was still sealed!). The original Gabriel Knight is probably one of my top 3 games ever. I played that game so many times back in the day (on my 486!). Lots of good memories.

I also played GK2, but only once. It was pretty cool for a game back then but I'm not sure it had the same feel as the original. Never played 3 until now.

Anyway, it installed fine on XP Pro. However, when I play, parts of Gabriel and other people and objects kind of disappear. Any ideas on what I might be able to do to fix it? I might try to set compatibility to Win95 or 98 and see what happens.

I only played around a little and while they still had Tim Curry play the voice of Gabe, it just doesn't sound the same as I remember from the original. I also don't really like the move to completely 3d. It seems clunky, especially the camera movement. Plus game doesn't really look like Gabe, because of the 3d modeling and the old graphics (1999 I think).

The music is still very similar to that of the original, which really brought back some memories.

Also like the original, when you click on things, Gabe makes comments about it and he's still got great comments, still a smart ass!

Like I said, not far into and kind of disappointed a little right now. Hopefully my love for the original and the graphics problems don't keep me from enjoying this one.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Wow, still sealed? Thats rare . . .refresh my memory, how well does it run under XP?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Wow, still sealed? Thats rare . . .refresh my memory, how well does it run under XP?

Guess you didn't read my op? :p

It seems to run ok except some characters and objects kind of disappear at certain angles. I don't know if its from XP or what. I didn't play it again after I set it to win95 compatibility mode though.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
i still have a copy of GK3 around here somewhere. i can't remember why but i don't think i've ever finished it.

hmm you make me want to look for it.

btw, i actually liked GK2 more than the original. i'm sure it's crappy if we look at it now, but i thought the full motion video sequences were awesome! and i really liked the settings in Germany and also the soundtrack for the whole game. good stuff.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
it won't even run in win95 or 98 compatibility mode

i don't know what else to do to fix it.