Take this Canada...(Repost from 1985)

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
The Canadian government claims that the waters of the Northwest Passage are internal to Canada. In 1985, the U.S. icebreaker Polar Sea passed through and the U.S. Government made a point of not asking permission from the Canadians. They claimed that this was simply a cost effective way to get the ship from Greenland to Alaska and that there was no need to ask permission to travel through international waters. The Canadian government issued a declaration in 1986 reaffirming Canadian rights to the waters. However, the United States refused to recognize the Canadian claim.

In late 2005, it was alleged that U.S. nuclear submarines had travelled the passage without Canadian approval, sparking Canadian outrage. In his first news conference after the federal election, then Prime Minister-designate Stephen Harper contested an earlier statement made by the American ambassador that Arctic waters were international, stating the Canadian government's intention to enforce its sovereignty there.

Still haven't heard back from you guys. When are you going to kick us out, huh?

:evil:

BTW:Link

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
insert the usual babble from ignorant americans about some tank and supposed lack of military and blah blah blah here.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
We can't today assert the control over the Passage. We're working on it, though, with the long-term view being that the Passage may be quite valuable as global temperatures warm up and travel possible year-round.

Can't blame us for trying to use military superiority to throw our weight around. ;)

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
They have no means to enforce their words anyways.

I hear they are almost done drawing up the schematics for their new submarine:D

Wrong! We bought some leaky ones from the Brits!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
insert the usual babble from ignorant americans about some tank and supposed lack of military and blah blah blah here.

Hey now, we know you have the best sniper in the world....which is why we rag on your tank:p

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

Well since technically anyone on this continent is American, you have just called yourself ignorant :D

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: meltdown75
We don't have to kick your ass, we'd rather just sit here and outclass you to death.

In the mean time, we're going to continue to do whatever we want up in the "Internal Waters of Canada." :p

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: meltdown75
We don't have to kick your ass, we'd rather just sit here and outclass you to death.
In the mean time, we're going to continue to do whatever we want up in the "Internal Waters of Canada." :p
IIRC not even fellow American submarines can detect (some) American submarines. In any case, even if spotted we currently don't have the hardware to do much about that. But as I said earlier, we're working on it:
Harper pledged to spend 5.3 billion Canadian dollars over five years to ?dramatically increase Canada?s military presence? north of the 60th parallel.
He said he would install a sensor net in northern waters to monitor foreign submarines and ships, commission three armed heavy icebreakers capable of carrying troops and build Canada?s first Arctic deepwater port near Iqaluit, which has been lobbying for a port to boost local economic development.

He also promised to open a new military training facility on Cambridge Bay on the Northwest Passage, station new jets in Yellowknife and fly long-range unmanned surveillance aircraft continuously.

?As prime minister, I will make it clear to foreign governments ? including the United States ? that naval vessels traveling in Canadian territorial waters will require the consent of the government of Canada,? Harper said.
Goddamn I love our new PM. Hasn't set a single foot wrong yet by my eyes.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
The Canadian government claims that the waters of the Northwest Passage are internal to Canada. In 1985, the U.S. icebreaker Polar Sea passed through and the U.S. Government made a point of not asking permission from the Canadians. They claimed that this was simply a cost effective way to get the ship from Greenland to Alaska and that there was no need to ask permission to travel through international waters. The Canadian government issued a declaration in 1986 reaffirming Canadian rights to the waters. However, the United States refused to recognize the Canadian claim.

In late 2005, it was alleged that U.S. nuclear submarines had travelled the passage without Canadian approval, sparking Canadian outrage. In his first news conference after the federal election, then Prime Minister-designate Stephen Harper contested an earlier statement made by the American ambassador that Arctic waters were international, stating the Canadian government's intention to enforce its sovereignty there.

wow, u must feel real big being a country that is 10x the population and 1000x stronger (militarily) bully us. :disgust: I dont even want to get started on this one....

And also there is one thing, I dont even Believe Canada needs a strong military presence, I will post more on why on Tuesday night, until this no more on this (midterms going on)

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Awesome! Another American circle jerk.

"Look at our Military we can do what we want!!" And you wonder why you are so despised worldwide.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: BullyCanadian

wow, u must feel real big being a country that is 10x the population and 1000x stronger (militarily) bully us. :disgust: I dont even want to get started on this one....

And also there is one thing, I dont even Believe Canada needs a strong military presence, I will post more on why on Tuesday night, until this no more on this (midterms going on)

Yeah, I have to admit. Being born to the greatest nation on earth does have it's benefits. Like the fact that we are the greatest. :)

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, I have to admit. Being born to the greatest nation on earth does have it's benefits. Like the fact that we are the greatest. :)

Keep dreaming the dream. Keep hanging onto your hope as every freedom and right you have vanishes before your eyes.

Greatest? You are not even in the top 10 anymore!LOL

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003

You know the saying, "Ignorance is bliss....." and it definitely applies to you

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

Yeah, kinda makes you wish there was some other nation out there who could dispute this, so we could pwn them out of existence. Oh well, at least we know Canada will never do that. It's like being a well-trained, former K9 German shepherd in a house with the Taco Bell dog...