Take advantage of insurance - long term/short term

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Many times with your employer or on your own you have choices. What plan do I choose? What risks do I face?

Many people glance over benefits offered by their employer as "fluff". But if you read the fine print some of these benefits can be really great. There's a reason why your employer offers an open enrollment period to allow you to choose, it's mandated by law. Plus it's used to attract you to work for them.

So....as you are presented with all of these opportunities and benefits one thinks "WTF! No, I do not want to pay an extra 10 dollars a month for this!"

That 2 dollars per month for short term/long term disability can mean the difference between 50 and 66/80% of your salary, for a mere 24 bucks per year. And remember you cannot change your benefit enrollment unless you have a qualified life changing event.

The story is a guy at work wanted to cheap out on long term benefits and we talked him into the 2 bucks a month. Next year he was not able to work and probably never will, but yet he gets 80% of his salary to support his wife and son.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I totally agree.

My short term and long term premiums are a whopping $5 or so per month. Well worth it.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I say OK, but just read the fine print. Very carefully. The vast majority of these "disability" policies are so full of exclusions and limitations that you may never collect a penny, and that's the idea.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
I say OK, but just read the fine print. Very carefully. The vast majority of these "disability" policies are so full of exclusions and limitations that you may never collect a penny, and that's the idea.

Correct.

Just remember, if it was such a good thing they would not be offering it. They are out to make as much money as possiable.

<-- Gov HR