Takaaki Mitsuhashi breaks down the TPP (with subs)

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sxoQBUFz0

Interesting. So far this is the first time I've seen a good chunk of this information on the TPP. Good for him for coming out with his criticism.

Edit: Also, take note - you can't even find anything on Takaaki using Google, you have to VPN + Duckduckgo.

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
This guy is apparently best known as a commentator on the Japanese equivalent of 4chan, so appeals to his expertise seem unfounded. Even assuming his interpretation of the TPP is accurate, Japan is exceedingly protectionist and has had a stagnant economy for over two decades probably in part thanks to that. The intellectual property thing is absurd for a Japanese person to complain about; they're the one country in the world afaik where illegally downloading music carries a jail sentence. I did a quick check about American companies suing South Korean ones, and the only thing I could find was a story about a Korean company licensing kpop songs to iTunes to be sold at ~$1 a pop, but underhandedly selling songs for less than ten cents to other markets. Any Sony or Pony Canyon or whatever would be perfectly happy to sue if things were reversed. Whether or not they'd be able to against American giants is another case I suppose, but this video does not convince me that it isn't some random dude rambling in favor of protectionism, playing up to Japanese xenophobia.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
This guy is apparently best known as a commentator on the Japanese equivalent of 4chan, so appeals to his expertise seem unfounded. Even assuming his interpretation of the TPP is accurate, Japan is exceedingly protectionist and has had a stagnant economy for over two decades probably in part thanks to that. The intellectual property thing is absurd for a Japanese person to complain about; they're the one country in the world afaik where illegally downloading music carries a jail sentence. I did a quick check about American companies suing South Korean ones, and the only thing I could find was a story about a Korean company licensing kpop songs to iTunes to be sold at ~$1 a pop, but underhandedly selling songs for less than ten cents to other markets. Any Sony or Pony Canyon or whatever would be perfectly happy to sue if things were reversed. Whether or not they'd be able to against American giants is another case I suppose, but this video does not convince me that it isn't some random dude rambling in favor of protectionism, playing up to Japanese xenophobia.

I think the most chilling point is the blatant observation that Americans have been suing each-other for so long our legal system has become this complex beast. Not only does the TPP force American Law on other countries, it brings the lawyers with them and eventually plagues that society's culture with some of the worst of ours.

On top of all that.. we've been ahead of the game so long, our lawyers were better at negotiating he TPP, so the corporate interests in America basically used that advantage to screw other countries over in the process. It's a one-two punch of double-anal penetration to other countries by American corporate interests.

Shit. That's frightening.