Tabula Rasa Beta codes (not sign-ups)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/tabula-rasa/

Yes, you have to be a subscriber, but no, it's not like Fileplanet where you have to be a PAYING subscriber.

I've been playing TR for a few weeks now on and off... and I can honestly say it is refreshingly different. Not quite FPS like Planetside was, but not quite non-FPS like World of Whorecraft, et'al.

Enjoy!

Edit: Please note - Gamespot says you have to be a Total Access (fee) subscriber to get the key... YOU DO NOT. I just registered a new free account with my gmail account for their free account type, and was able to get a key for TR.

Might be a bug, might not... either way get it while you can!

Edit #2:
Download the installer directly from PlayNC here.

Edit #3:
FYI - full character wipe scheduled for 9/4/07 on both US and EU servers. At that point, they're shutting down the high level content (>lvl30) and focusing on testing and bugfixing the low level stuff. At this point, they open the beta from the limited play sessions to 24x7!

Edit #4:
The pushed the character wipe back until 9/6/07 to allow for a couple extra days of prep time on the servers. 24x7 will be going live on 9/6/07...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: SunnyD
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/tabula-rasa/

Yes, you have to be a subscriber, but no, it's not like Fileplanet where you have to be a PAYING subscriber.

I've been playing TR for a few weeks now on and off... and I can honestly say it is refreshingly different. Not quite FPS like Planetside was, but not quite non-FPS like World of Whorecraft, et'al.

Enjoy!

Edit: Please note - Gamespot says you have to be a Total Access (fee) subscriber to get the key... YOU DO NOT. I just registered a new free account with my gmail account for their free account type, and was able to get a key for TR.

Might be a bug, might not... either way get it while you can!

Orrrr... you can download it right from PlayNC...

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I just got a key with the free account for Gamespot. Going to play it tonight while doing logistics in EVE Online on another PC.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I ment downloading mate, downloading from gamespot was going as fast as 10 to 30kb/s. I found the client at gamershell though, where I usually hit between 500 and 2000kb/s, so it's unzipping right now. Will be installing in a sec. Looks like the servers go live at midnight or even 1am my time though. Have to see how it pans out.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: hooflung
I just got a key with the free account for Gamespot. Going to play it tonight while doing logistics in EVE Online on another PC.

that just pretty much sums up all of my arguments against EVE.
"I'm going to play another game while i play EVE." lmao!

I think I'd rather "play" EVE than TR though.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
GG was interested in it then I realized the betas only available during the times exactly when I work : (

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

That is a foolish thing to say actually. If you want to log in and go pwn face then why would you even play a game like EVE or even a good RTS that hasn't been watered down to 15 minute campaigns.

I need to jump my carrier across 3 regions to the front lines of a brutal war to refill my ammunition and ships. So I have to do logistics. I have to gather up my ammunition and ships, make sure I have jump fuel, get my corp m8s to setup a cynoral field network and then do the jumps. Could take 20 minutes or it could take 2 hours. Either way, no pain no gain.

I could just go play WoW or UT2k4 but when I kill my opponent, its not really satisfying. Because its not really... effort or meaningful in the end. It is more akin to a quicky which can be fun but is nothing like the real thing with barry white, candles and foreplay.

PS : You don't play other games when you do space combat in EVE. Logistics is hands off enough once I gather my gear in one place so it is a wait. That is when booting the other PC and playing a game is fun, when I have to wait on others. And ... I am in a major War with over 1000 people involved covering ALL timezones in the real world. I have to wait on others to caravan our shit to minimize fuel and time cost as well as being ducks in a shooting gallery if ambushed.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
GG was interested in it then I realized the betas only available during the times exactly when I work : (

You work from Friday 5:00pm CST through Monday 12:00am CST? 2.5 days is a long shift!

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

You work from Friday 5:00pm CST through Monday 12:00am CST? 2.5 days is a long shift!

Oh my bad I saw the tues and thrus times and assumed friday was the same. Thanks for pointing that out actually.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Hmz, looks like I've got a American key now, and now I'm fubared. I tried applying for a europian key which was possible after I created a master account. Damn thing made me fill out one hell of a form, but didn't give me my damn key. So no TR for me. NCsofts support sucks so hard I'm not even going to bother trying to get it fixed. Guess I'll wait till my review copy arrives.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
TR is not really worth it, unless they made some huge advances since the last beta.

Getting sniped through the landscape ftl :(

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I'm getting 250KB/s using the gamespot download manager. I had to wait in line for like an hour or so, but overall it is much faster than downloading at 60KB/s the "old way" as they call it.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: lupi
Getting 600kb via the NCsoft downloader.

Hm, I didn't see that as an option anywhere. Oh well, not like we can play it on Wednesdays anyway.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
from the link above.

Anyone have problems installing it? Took like 5 minutes from clicking it to get the install icon which didn't seem to do much when I hit next; ended up rebooting.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

That is a foolish thing to say actually. If you want to log in and go pwn face then why would you even play a game like EVE or even a good RTS that hasn't been watered down to 15 minute campaigns.

I need to jump my carrier across 3 regions to the front lines of a brutal war to refill my ammunition and ships. So I have to do logistics. I have to gather up my ammunition and ships, make sure I have jump fuel, get my corp m8s to setup a cynoral field network and then do the jumps. Could take 20 minutes or it could take 2 hours. Either way, no pain no gain.

I could just go play WoW or UT2k4 but when I kill my opponent, its not really satisfying. Because its not really... effort or meaningful in the end. It is more akin to a quicky which can be fun but is nothing like the real thing with barry white, candles and foreplay.

PS : You don't play other games when you do space combat in EVE. Logistics is hands off enough once I gather my gear in one place so it is a wait. That is when booting the other PC and playing a game is fun, when I have to wait on others. And ... I am in a major War with over 1000 people involved covering ALL timezones in the real world. I have to wait on others to caravan our shit to minimize fuel and time cost as well as being ducks in a shooting gallery if ambushed.

Where in my post did I mention anything about "pwning face"?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Played a bit tonight. Still not as FPS as I would have liked, but it is interesting. Haven't done any readin yet so I have no idea of which classes to go for or where I should be putting my ability points and stuff yet.

but you do get a pretty nice shotgun by the end of the tutorial, and can that be bad :)