Tablet with Excel?

imported_Jid

Jan 3, 2009
I've got some very large spreadsheets I work on with my laptop but sometimes I just need to work on small parts or write some functions and wish I didn't need to lug the laptop around for that. Is there a cheaper tablet that runs Excel?.. or some alternative compatible with excel?

At first I thought it'd be a no brainer, since my crappy blackberry has excel but reading around it sounds like most tablets don't have spreadsheet apps on them? I find that strange and hope I'm not reading well enough

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I've got some very large spreadsheets I work on with my laptop but sometimes I just need to work on small parts or write some functions and wish I didn't need to lug the laptop around for that. Is there a cheaper tablet that runs Excel?.. or some alternative compatible with excel?

At first I thought it'd be a no brainer, since my crappy blackberry has excel but reading around it sounds like most tablets don't have spreadsheet apps on them? I find that strange and hope I'm not reading well enough

Any of the Windows 8 tablets come with Office pre-installed on them. There are a number to choose from in the 8" and 10" range. Try to find one that runs the full Windows 8.1 rather than Windows RT.

imported_Jid

Jan 3, 2009
Oh I see, should've just gone on the microsoft site. Looks like a Lenovo Miix 2 8 is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Google's office suite is decent enough for basic work, and it's free. I use my Nexus 7 for it sometimes.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Any of the Windows 8 tablets come with Office pre-installed on them. There are a number to choose from in the 8" and 10" range. Try to find one that runs the full Windows 8.1 rather than Windows RT.

Full Windows 8.1 tablets will not come with Office. That's RT only.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Full Windows 8.1 tablets will not come with Office. That's RT only.

Since when? The Dell tablets (Venue 8 Pro for example), the Lenovo Miix, the upcoming Asus VivoTab and I'm sure others come with Office Home and Student Edition installed on them. That's part of what makes them such outrageous deals IMO. Those all run the full desktop Windows 8.1.

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Only some windows tablets will come with office. If the screen is bigger than 10.1 (such as the dell xps 11) it will not get office for one of the requirements for the new windows/office/oem bundles is the screen has to be 10.1 or smaller.

That said the oems will follow the microsoft restrictions to get the office for free as part of their os licensing, and we will see a growing number of tablets come free with office.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...es+Office+Home++Student+2013/article31706.htm

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
is remote control an option for you?
i find tablets lacking. so just leave your laptop on. log in remotely using apps like Splashtop or TeamViewer and have all the power of your laptop mirror onto any tablet.