Tablet for Anime Watching?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by fusedpro, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fusedpro

fusedpro Member

I'm in the market for a tablet to watch anime on. My main source is usually .mkv files, though I do occasionally encounter .avi files for older series. As for streaming services like Netflix/Crunchyroll/etc..., I do not use them very often (for anime), though I imagine Netflix will get much more use in the future.

So, what are my options? I'm not necessarily looking to buy right now, so if anything is coming out in the future, I have no qualms waiting. The Nexus 7 is tempting, though I think I would prefer a 10". That said, Android is definitely preferred. Storage is probably moot with USB OTG, though onboard SD capability couldn't hurt.

2. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

The nexus 7 will play 10 bit high profile mkvs without issue, as well as pretty much any file ive tossed at it reguardless of format. using MX Player, seems to work well with subtitles also, have not tried one with more then one subtitle track

if you wanted larger id recomend either of the 2 asus tablets, the transformer prime and infinity, both should be able to play files without transcoding but i do not have any exp with them

3. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I could give the MX Player a try on my TF300 and see how it works. I tried some network file playback, and had a lot of trouble with it. I don't remember what software I tried though.

4. SilthDraeth

SilthDraeth Platinum Member

I use emit for streaming mkv, avi, mp4, etc from my PC to my tablet on my wifi. It works great. Emit also supposedly supports web streaming. I haven't tried that.

I suppose for web streaming, it might be possible to set my pc up as a web server and stream movies somehow.

All this on a Nexus 7 btw.

5. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

anything you download most likely will have to be converted to a tablet friendly format unless its a windows tablet, at that point you can play on your favorite droid device (I do this for my s3)

If I'm wrong please let me know, I'd love to be able to watch the movies without having to spend hours converting stuff to work on ICS or JB.

6. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

it depends on your tablet, if its new and powerful enough there is no conversion needed, most Anime is 720p high prifile MKVs 8 or 10 bit depending on the sub group, the nexus 7 plays these fine using MX player, no conversion needed,

i can test some BR rips but i dont think it will be any different, I dont stream however.

7. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

What format are your videos in that they don't play natively or through one of the many video players?

8. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

If you don't like transferring, you can get Qloud Media or Plex to do the transcoding on your PC and stream directly. (What I do for most videos)

If it doesn't work on stock, download a different player. (DICE Player or MX Player) which plays most formats out there. The benefits of Android is you can use different apps as defaults to handle things that otherwise can't be read through stock.

9. SilthDraeth

Emit plays avi, mkv, etc

10. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Three options:

SD card
    home server (I suggest Serviio)
    Splashtop (included with Transformer series)

If you have 1080p content the Infinity is the obvious choice.

#10 s44, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  11. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

oooh. >_>

12. vshah

vshah Lifer

also mxplayer and diceplayer. both will play anything you throw at them.

not to mention vlc for android, but that doesn't support hardware acceleration yet.

13. Bryf50

Bryf50 Golden Member

Has performance gotten better? I had a TF Prime and it struggled with Hi10p@720p. I tried every video player on the market. Sometimes the fansub community is just a little too quick to adopt the latest and greatest.

I recently started a Crunchyroll subscription and am pretty happy with it. Its fairly cheap and most of the currently airing anime I want to watch is on it. The video quality is also damn good for a streaming service.

14. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

i don't know if the TF prime can do it im just guessing TBH i assumed it wasn't that old

15. psych2

psych2 Member

16. Chocu1a

Chocu1a Golden Member

Thank you so much for mentioning Emit. I was looking for a great streaming app.
    I just downloaded it & it works flawlessly. I even set it up for web streaming & it works perfectly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

17. SilthDraeth

Thanks. I might have to try the web streaming someday. It is so simple to set up too.

Install program on pc, run it, choose directories you want to share with device. Configure password if you want.

Install app on device and go go go.

18. kache

kache Senior member

Try MX Player.

19. AnMig

AnMig Golden Member

Nexus 7 + MXPLAYER

Plays everything I throw at including 720p mkv's.

Sometimes sound does not play with HW decoder but quick button to change to software decoder always fixes the problem.

Love Android and its multi format support.

Also using ES FILE explorer you can view your networked shared folders and play videos using wifi, just tried able to play 720p x264

#19 AnMig, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012