T5500 back up & crunching! + comparison old / new

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Got the second cpu daughter board replaced and the box is back up to full speed.

Looking over my computers stats this box has been online for 12 months and has produced over 4 million in Seti. That's 333K / month.

For comparison my P4 @ 3ghz with hyperthreading has been running for 31 months and has produced 355K in Seti. That's 11.4K per month.

The new box does almost the entire lifetime of the old box in one month. Just makes me feel like running the old one is a waste of electricity.

Wonder what it would cost me now to put together a new cruncher to replace the old P4?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
You can try and asking around in General Hardware, to help spec out a new folding box. My guess (depending on what hardware you would like in the new box) is the price could be around $500-700. Again it depends if you want multi-GPU for folding and whatnot.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, I remember when I started, I barely did anything on my P4 3.0GHz HT compared to my Core2Duo. I now know the comparison between that and my new server! Thanks Wiz.

But you're heading for a slippery slope. I thought... how much would it cost to salvage parts from an old computer and build a new more power efficient one? Then I would accumulate extra spare parts and build another one... and now look at my sig. BEWARE. :p

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
It's a little humbling that the T5500 at stock speeds outputs like 5x to 6x the rest of my machines combined. I do have 4 other systems... Maybe I should shut them all down and use the electricity savings to build another super rig.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Maybe I should shut them all down and use the electricity savings to build another super rig.
I have a feeling electricity prices will be going up drastically in the near future so consider power efficient hardware for your next build!