T Woods in Moderate to Critical Condition.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to. But, maybe because I just gotten older and retired, but I find it a nice mellow relaxing thing to watch these days. Starting on Thursday, and following through to Sunday. That why I instantly knew that Tiger was in the L.A. area because of the Genesis Tournament.
I don't have Golf Channel access, so I just watch the weekend. I really do enjoy it. Of course, I play, and the last thing I'd tell anyone is that I do it to get outside, or for the exercise. I love the athletic aspects of it, the coordination, the heightened awareness necessary to maintain in order to improve your play, your scoring. It's addictive, but if done right, and if things align, it's a positive addiction. Watching the pros compete for the trophies and the money helps my game, I can get into their heads and that helps me. It also is positive physically if you don't suffer injury, which Tiger did a LOT, as we know, but he pushed himself too hard. I can't think of a pro golfer who was more injury plagued than Tiger. There must be but I don't know of them. BTW, my home course is 9 on a 10 scale for hilliness, at least 8, and I always walk it (with a push cart).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
1614180841135_ott_now_am_tiger_woods_210224_1920x1080.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

News says he is safe and out of surgery but he has a LONG and difficult recovery ahead.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This happened just a couple miles from me on Hawthorne Blvd.

I bike down that hill frequently. It's a fun 50mph hill on a road bike.

He must have been distracted. That road is not dangerous at all.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
So, since he was in one of his sponsors' car, and lived, do you think there is some more money to be made promoting the safety of Genesis SUVs?

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This happened just a couple miles from me on Hawthorne Blvd.

I bike down that hill frequently. It's a fun 50mph hill on a road bike.

He must have been distracted. That road is not dangerous at all.
On the news last night they said that reports were (presumably by people who reside there) that it is a notoriously dangerous stretch. You have your perspective, perhaps just being your downhill ride. Personally, I won't go over 30mph on any hill on my road bike. I see guys flying down at much faster speeds, but I can't help wondering ...

... what happens if have a blown out tire/tube?
... what if I hit some gravel? or a rock I failed to spot?

I read a notorious true cover story in the local weekly written by a guy's wife sometime after he had an accident in the hills above my house. He made a left turn at a crest onto a downhill (I've ridden up/down at that intersection a number of times), hit a gravel patch, went over his handlebars, landed on his helmeted head/neck, suffered a broken neck and became a virtual vegetable quadriplegic. She described their life in the aftermath. Super sobering story.

I don't ride those hills anymore, used to daily. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and my left hand goes all tingly. I haven't tried it in a while, figure I can't now. I skate the streets daily now, though. Just got back from my 6 mile skate.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
On the news last night they said that reports were (presumably by people who reside there) that it is a notoriously dangerous stretch. You have your perspective, perhaps just being your downhill ride. Personally, I won't go over 30mph on any hill on my road bike. I see guys flying down at much faster speeds, but I can't help wondering ...
L.A. County Sheriffs specifically said it's an accident-prone stretch of road; I believe this was reported on NBC Nightly News yesterday evening. The Palos Verdes peninsula is an isolated part of L.A. County so if he was late to some function, it explains why he was speeding dangerously on a local street. IIRC Tiger is from Cypress (and has been a long-time Floridian) so he may not have been intimately familiar with this road.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Disable the Fn phone!
This brings up an interesting point; many believe that iPhoneOS and Android should restrict usage when the phone user is operating a motor vehicle. There are some easy ways of implementing this, such as via CarPlay or Android Auto integration which only newest cars support.

So, since he was in one of his sponsors' car, and lived, do you think there is some more money to be made promoting the safety of Genesis SUVs?
It's reported earlier that investigators haven't yet reviewed telematics data from the vehicle computer. Which made me wonder at which point mainstream autos started to have a "black box" onboard?

Reactions: hal2kilo

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yeah, I lived 20 years of my full adulthood without having a motor vehicle, in an urban environment. I rode a bicycle a lot, when my bike was stolen, I spent a few years just walking my town when out and about. Some public transit, but not a lot. I've had a car for over 25 years now, but I appreciate the fact for me that I'm getting wherever I'm going fast enough. I think I see a lot more people nowadays driving like they're trying to beat the traffic, go faster, many times a lot faster than the flow of traffic. Many times, completely manic, it seems. To me, they seem "wigged out."

I think of the David Bowie song "Fame": "Makes a man loose, hard to swallow." Tiger's better than most in convincing you when you hear him talk that he's balanced and sane, but I think it's partly an act. We just saw another scene in that act that ended disastrously.
Gotta agree, I save my wishes for bad things happening to anyone for DJT!
I was coming home from work today after my usual pit-stop at Dunkin and heading down my narrow residential St at the posted limit, 25 MPH, some angry as fuck Karen in a mini-van tromps on it and passes me going 40+, there are kids EVERYWHERE around here but Karen gave zero fucks, how dare I impede her important hurriyngs!.

• Wow

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
This brings up an interesting point; many believe that iPhoneOS and Android should restrict usage when the phone user is operating a motor vehicle. There are some easy ways of implementing this, such as via CarPlay or Android Auto integration which only newest cars support.

It's reported earlier that investigators haven't yet reviewed telematics data from the vehicle computer. Which made me wonder at which point mainstream autos started to have a "black box" onboard?
Around '88-98, early air-bag cars used a mechanical device to trigger it's deployment, when auto's started using BCM, (body control module), the NHSTA wanted live data from actual crashes to go along with the testing they did running into fixed obstacles. In 2006 + up Manufactures were compelled to save a five second "snapshot" from a crash event, things like vehicle speed and braking were saved, later as electric steering and drive by wire throttles came along that data was saved as well. Law enforcement found out about this system, (event data recorder), and began getting search warrants for your data, oh, don't think about swapping chips out with a junkyard one, you vehicle has a specific chip # embedded into it tied to the cars VIN and any swap would be found out.

Reactions: Muse and manly

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was coming home from work today after my usual pit-stop at Dunkin and heading down my narrow residential St at the posted limit, 25 MPH, some angry as fuck Karen in a mini-van tromps on it and passes me going 40+, there are kids EVERYWHERE around here but Karen gave zero fucks, how dare I impede her important hurriyngs!.
Yeah, it's sick and I have to think/wonder if it's symptomatic of an unraveling of character in America. When I grew up there was no such thing as speed bumps. Now, at least where I live, it's hard to find a residential street that doesn't have a speed bump every 75 yards or so. Spoiled entitled self-centered people all over the place.