T-mobile Uncarrier 8.0: Rollover data (for purchased data, 3GB and above)

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Looks like t-mobile is pulling a Cingular.... rollover data (instead of minutes)

It only applies to purchased data (3GB, 5GB plans etc, 1GB tablet plans, ...)... those people get a 10GB rollover-data-bucket to start with

It doesn't apply to the base 1GB default data that every phone line gets.

Guess T-mobile wanted a higher ARPU (average revenue per user)

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/uncarrier-8.htm
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/data-stash-data-roll.html

(Cspire, regional provider, started with rollover data as well in Nov 2014)

Last edited:

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Nice! I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few weeks ago, and I'm quite happy.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
Tmobile really is a awesome company.... probably going to move from their $30 prepaid to postpaid service just because of the extra features they are giving you.

The only thing I am waiting on is for them to upgrade their 2g rural coverage to 4g in my area. The entire country is supposed to be done by the end of 2015 but it seems like telecoms never meet those timelines.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Pretty crazy. I still won't give up my $70 unlimited though.

True, it's not as good as unlimited but since those aren't available anymore this is probably the next best thing for people who didn't get unlimited data while it was available or who don't want to be locked into a specific phone to get unlimited data.

The Rollover data expires after a year so that is a flexible system for hoarding a data allowance if you know that you will be without a dependable wireless connection for a little while within the next few months. If you're traveling across the states for example.

I think that this will get them some customers.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
True, it's not as good as unlimited but since those aren't available anymore this is probably the next best thing for people who didn't get unlimited data while it was available or who don't want to be locked into a specific phone to get unlimited data.

The Rollover data expires after a year so that is a flexible system for hoarding a data allowance if you know that you will be without a dependable wireless connection for a little while within the next few months. If you're traveling across the states for example.

I think that this will get them some customers.

You can still get it but its $80 a month now.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for the info. Depending on the conditions the rollover data plan might be a better deal (or not), depending on how often one can access a wireless network.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
You can still get it but its $80 a month now.

Just how "unlimited" is their "unlimited"? I saw the article earlier today about the rollover data and started researching whether or not to switch from verizon. I saw clearly on the website that once you hit your data cap, your speeds are throttled. So what is their definition of "unlimited"?

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
Just how "unlimited" is their "unlimited"? I saw the article earlier today about the rollover data and started researching whether or not to switch from verizon. I saw clearly on the website that once you hit your data cap, your speeds are throttled. So what is their definition of "unlimited"?

Who are you talking about? TMobile shouldn't throttle unlimited 4G users.

AFAIK, they only throttle users whose 4G data bucket has been used up (e.g. after 5GB on the $30 plan).

Edit: I was wrong. It's not "throttling" per se but Tmobile does impose "prioritization" on users.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...ll-major-us-carriers-throttle-unlimited-data/

Last edited:

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Who are you talking about? TMobile shouldn't throttle unlimited 4G users.

AFAIK, they only throttle users whose 4G data bucket has been used up (e.g. after 5GB on the $30 plan).

Edit: I was wrong. It's not "throttling" per se but Tmobile does impose "prioritization" on users.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...ll-major-us-carriers-throttle-unlimited-data/

By that I meant, some carriers start throttling you after 3-5GB even on unlimited plans. Does TMob do the same thing or do you continue getting full speed all the time?

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005

Common point of confusion. T-Mobile offers data plans with set caps as well as true unlimited. On the capped plans data is unlimited in that there are no overage fees, but once you hit your data cap speed is throttled for the remainder on the cycle. Those on true unlimited plans are not throttled ever.

For single line data is available for 1 gb, 3 gb, 5 gb, or unlimited, with a $10 increase for each tier.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
I thought I read somewhere that they would start after 10 gigs on each line but I could be reading that wrong.

The point here is this plan is not for the truly unlimited user... its for the user who uses alot of data every so often and needs that extra buffer for those months. Which I would argue is a vast majority of people esp when combined with the previous uncarrier announcement where streaming music does not count against your data plan. That is a good chunk of peoples data usage these days and that is never throttled.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Tmobile really is a awesome company.... probably going to move from their $30 prepaid to postpaid service just because of the extra features they are giving you.

I just switched to T-mobile. Obviously I like the company. But the data that people use doesn't come close to costing T-mobile what they charge for it.

The cost difference to them between giving someone a 1GB vs a 3GB or 5GB plan is virtually nothing. This feature is designed to give customers incentive to use more data and step up to a more expensive plan because it means more profit for T-Mobile. I would have been more impressed had the feature been included in the 1GB phone plans.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with this. I just think for most people this is one of those things that sounds really great but in practice will provide little benefit. I am sure T-mobile has run the numbers and knows this which is why they are offering it. More power to them.

-KeithP

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
(Two quick questions just testing my recollection)

With this rollover data you get full hotspot control over your data bucket correct?

And the unlimited plan you get 5gbs per month correct?

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
By that I meant, some carriers start throttling you after 3-5GB even on unlimited plans. Does TMob do the same thing or do you continue getting full speed all the time?

According to the Ars article, TMobile states that the unlimited users may experience "prioritization" whenever the network is "congested". Whatever the hell that means.

The Ars article even includes a link back to here. :)

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2318738

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010

AT&T has a hard throttle for grandfathered unlimited (3GB for 3G, 5GB for LTE... you get throttled to 0.1-0.5mbps)

Verizon does not throttle grandfathered unlimited. They tried implementing lower priorization for top 5% unlimited users, but they backed out

for t-mobile's truly unlimited plans (not the 1GB data bucket and 2G throttle after)... there isn't a hard and fast rule

I've used 30GB last month (t-mobile reports me using 24GB, 6GB worth of unmetered music streaming/speedtests). I do not see any throttling (maybe some congestion in NYC, but my speedmeter still sees me getting above 1mbps, and above 20mbps once I move out of congested areas)

Other users have used >200GB without problems

T-mobile only has two worrisome items on their ToS:
1) >95% unlimited users may be prioritized below other customers
2) No P2p torrenting or bypassing their tethering cap

I'm fine with (1).... no one has really reported any lower prioritization. If they do, T-mobile has had that policy, not like Verizon trying to change policy midway. Also, T-mobile is all month-to-month: you don't like it, move to another provider/MVNO

The only thing I am waiting on is for them to upgrade their 2g rural coverage to 4g in my area. The entire country is supposed to be done by the end of 2015 but it seems like telecoms never meet those timelines.

with LTE, t-mobile has been hitting their targets (or at least, you can't complain about the speed on how they rolled out LTE within 1 year and implementing band 12/wideband refarming of spectrum/2G->LTE upgrades)

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Nice. But I'm still holding my unlimited/unthrottled plan. :)

Still waiting on their wideband LTE to hit my city though.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Really starting to like the sound of this company. I like the way they are beating down the doors of the conventional carriers with new ideas for customers, because customers asked for it.

Must do more checking into these people that wear pink shirts for work ......

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Really starting to like the sound of this company. I like the way they are beating down the doors of the conventional carriers with new ideas for customers, because customers asked for it.

Must do more checking into these people that wear pink shirts for work ......
If you have a lot of spare time, follow the CEO (john legere) on twitter and listen to his interviews/video broadcasts... Pretty uncensored and straight to the point guy

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-i-got-t-mobiles-ceo-kicked-out-of-at-ts-ces-party/

http://qz.com/313460/profanities-po...ohn-legere-is-back-on-on-the-promotion-trail/

Last edited:

npaladin-2000

May 11, 2012
It's a nice feature, but I think they should have included it on the 1 GB plans as well, just make it part of Simple Choice, and exclude Simple Starter.

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
Nice. I have an unlimited plan and my wife has a 3 GB plan. She's not a big data user but can at least horde the data and use more when she's out of town or something.

Dec 30, 2004
I need better coverage from them when travelling, specifically HSPA+ 21mbps or more on roadways. T-mobile is basically 4G or Edge, little in between.

I'd love to support them, it's just Straight Talk AT&T is better

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well for me it's LTE or nothing. HSPA is sooooooooo slow and might as well be called EDGE. Something about T-Mo's service that blurs the line between LTE and HSPA, though, in certain spots.

I like their policies a lot and its LTE service is really good, but the coverage is not reliable for a day-to-day use. So I use it for my "tablet." (Xperia Z Ultra)

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005
That's odd, I've noticed HSPA has been quite fast in my area on TMO. Oddly it's actually faster than LTE inside my office, for whatever reason I get better signal penetration on it than lte. As soon as I step outside lte jumps back up though.