T-Mobile Simple Choice Unlimited Upgrade

Apr 8, 2001
Got the notification that my lines are about to be upgraded to unlimited unless I opt out soon. Anyone else go through this? Any downsides?

Mar 11, 2004
What plan are you currently on? Unless you were getting some special promo price for a long time, otherwise, I don't see much downside if you're already on T-Mobile. You might check and see if you can get some promo pricing locked in before it automatically switches you over since they often have some ok specials. Also they offer special pricing for military (think its active or veteran) or if you're 55+. The latter is limited to just two lines (I think you can have a tablet line as well though), but it'd save you a bit. But most of the other, you get better deals when adding lines (like 2 lines being $100/month, but 3 being only $120, I think sometimes you could even get 4 lines for $120).

We've been on their unlimited plan and other than an issue when we signed up (when the person at the T-Mobile store we went to adding the "even more unlimited" plan feature which was like an extra $5 or $10 per line extra per month) we haven't had any issues. Its been the flat rate that we signed up for the entire time. No billing shenanigans or anything.

Apr 8, 2001
I've got 5 cell lines plus a home line and get a DoD corporate discount. Have the family choice with 10gb per cell with 20gb stash. With tax my monthly bill is just over $130.

By not fully upgrading my plan, I lose out on the "free" netflix; but but keep a bill that is probably 50 to 70 cheaper a month and has less tether restrictions.

By letting them upgrade me to unlimited and removing the stash, it looks like the only change is i have less flexibility on the tether side but that will only truly affect me for a week once a year.

Mar 11, 2004
Hmm, they've been making their plans worse? Their new Magenta plans I think are a bit worse than their previous One plans. I thought the One plans included 10GB of LTE tethering per month (I might be wrong though) and then if you paid an extra $10 on that line it'd be unlimited tethering (but they might throttle you after the like 50GB). The Magenta plans only include 3GB tethering and then only 20GB if you pony up the extra $10. (Looked it up, hmm seems One plans only offered 3G tethering, and the upgraded offered 20GB LTE tethering.)

Just noticed the upgrade is $15/month/line. Lame.

I know at one point you could get like 6 lines for about $150 (because I tried to get one of my sisters to switch over from their pre-paid where they were spending like $150 for 3 lines and it was more restrictive about data than T-Mobile - and since a lot of their data used was from streaming services that they'd get unlimited on T-Mobile it was extra beneficial), but 5 would be $180 right now.

So you don't get any corporate discount any longer, or did they switch carriers or something and you want to stick with T-Mobile? They had an "offer match" thing on their website but of course it only works when switching from the other carriers so it wouldn't help you.

You might call, as I think one of them included DoD as qualifying for military discount (unless there's some specific line there, but I recall an ad from one of the carriers that specifically mentions DoD in the military discount). That'd get your 5 lines down to $110/month. You'd also get Netflix (but single display non-HD; you can pay extra per month to get the HD/UHD though). I doubt it was T-Mobile as it doesn't mention DoD anywhere on that though.

Apr 8, 2001
They actually have a military magenta plan, but first time I looked at it it was better for me to stay where I was since my plan was so old.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I've got 5 cell lines plus a home line and get a DoD corporate discount. Have the family choice with 10gb per cell with 20gb stash. With tax my monthly bill is just over $130.

By not fully upgrading my plan, I lose out on the "free" netflix; but but keep a bill that is probably 50 to 70 cheaper a month and has less tether restrictions.

By letting them upgrade me to unlimited and removing the stash, it looks like the only change is i have less flexibility on the tether side but that will only truly affect me for a week once a year.
I'm with you. I finally gave in to get a bogo offer that required the upgrade. Overall it didn't change much because I grabbed when the 4th line was free. So I went from like 115 to 140 but take off Netflix... So it costs maybe15 more after that and it added free NA calls which helps my wife since she had to call Canada sometimes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS