T-Mobile prepaid "Pay By The Day"

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Spicedaddy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Spicedaddy

Spicedaddy Platinum Member

I'm going to NYC for 3 days at the end of May, so I just bought a T-Mobile Prepaid activation kit on ebay, and I'll probably just put 10$ airtime on it. (won't be using it much...)

I just saw on their web site that I can choose Pay By The Day, which would give me 70 minutes + free from 7pm to 7am for my 10$, instead of only 30 minutes of airtime with regular PAYG.

Are there any catches with Pay By The Day? It seems like a better idea for short trips...

How's T-Mobile coverage in NYC?

Thanks for your help! I'll be using an unlocked BB 8320 which was originally locked to T-Mobile, that'll work fine for PAYG, right?

2. vshah

vshah Lifer

tmobile coverage is great in nyc and surround areas, but i can't speak to the intricacies of the pay as you go program. the blackberry should work fine although you may not have data access

3. rudeguy

rudeguy Lifer

BB should be fine, voice is voice. Data might be a crapshoot. I've honestly never heard of Tmo's pay by the day but it sounds perfect for your needs.

Curious though...are you from outside the US or do you not have a regular cell phone?

4. Spicedaddy

Spicedaddy Platinum Member

I'm from Montreal, Canada. I won't really need data as we'll have net access at the place we're renting, and my BB has WiFi anyways.

Rogers charges 1.50$/minute for roaming on ATT, and I think it's even more expensive if I call back to Canada, while T-Mobile Pay By The Day is 10cents/minute to anywhere in the US (free 7pm->7am), and 50cents/minute to Canada.

It's kinda depressing to see a prepaid service in the US is almost as cheap as my monthly plan in Canada, and I've been with Rogers for 10 years, have a retentions plan, etc. :D

5. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Nope. No catches. In fact it's semi-nice, because if you DON'T use the phone a given day, you pay nothing.

As far as data goes though, you're screwed. You'll be limited to T-Mo's severely walled garden. It says T-Zones, but it's not remotely the same as the old T-Zones internet access. Pure walled garden, and about 7 websites worth of access (CNN, NBC, etc.)

If you need data, get the Sidekick plan. It's $1/day whether you use it or not, and $0.25/minute for voice calls. Data is unlimited on it, but you'll likely be stuck on EDGE.