T-Mobile officially getting the iPhone - as in Selling Directly

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SunnyD, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Link

Starting 2013.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Mobile officially iPhone Forum Date
    Is ebay a recommended place to buy unlocked (new) GSM / LTE phones? Want to use on T-Mobile network. Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 15, 2017
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus officially coming to Virgin Mobile in Canada “early December” Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 15, 2011
    Virgin Mobile users: You're officially getting capped (And prices are going up) Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jul 13, 2011
    **Official T-Mobile G2 thread** Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 24, 2010
    ***Un-official Windows Mobile Phone Resource Thread*** Mobile Devices & Gadgets Dec 5, 2007

3. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Finally, this will definitely help them out. It's really hurt them not having the iPhone for all this time.

4. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

Nice, hopefully they keep w/ it. It'll definitely help them.

5. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

It's about time. I still know a lot of people jailbroken on Tmobile, and they cant wait to switch.

6. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

This is bad news for all current non-iPhone wielding T-Mobile customers. Hopefully their network and prices don't take a hit.

7. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

This. Hopefully it doesn't result in TMO killing their unthrottled/unlimited plans.

Figured this was only a matter of time after they got the spectrum from AT&T though. Also, hopefully, they didn't sell of both testicles and their first born like Sprint did. :p

8. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I really wish TMobile would come forward with some sort of timetable for refarming 1900mhz to HSPA in various markets. Even if they said 'We're not going to do x market or y market because it's too expensive, etc, etc', at least we'd know.

Sprint's been very open with it's network restructuring. I wish TMo would take a page out of the book.

9. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

are they going to get an AWS version of the iPhone or what? I know they're refarming, but it's not a done deal yet.

10. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

My guess is it'll just be existing iPhones on T-Mobile's refarmed network. And I'm also guessing this might be later 2013, but I get the impression T-Mobile still has a lot of work to do to get ready for the iPhone.

11. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

I don't want an iPhone. But the good news to me as a T-Mobile customer is that I should be able to use a lot more Android phones that were previously only worked on AT&T in the US.

12. rumpleforeskin

rumpleforeskin Senior member

I thought T mobile was a GSM carrier?

I understand there is still a CDMA networks in the USA but what stops you using any GSM device with any SIM card? Or is it hard to find GSM iphones in the states?

13. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

T-Mo uses AWS bands for 3g/HSPA (1700/2100MHz). US iPhones use AT&T 3g/HSPA bands (850/1900MHz). Until recently, you had to jailbreak to use an iPhone and it would be limited to only 2g service.

14. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Gonna be tough to sell:

- Hey we got an iPhone! But it's only good on 2G!
    - Hey we got an iPhone but it depends on our refarmed 3G, so not everywhere will be functioning 3G/4G.

If they just sell it outright like they do on AT&T and Verizon, I think people will be pissed that it's only half working

15. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

They are, and the iPhones have worked on T-Mobile since the original iPhone came out on GSM/EDGE - I had my original 4GB iPhone working on T-Mobile in Sept. of 2007. But T-Mobile's 3G service is on the AWS bands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services) which are at ~1700MHz and are not a band supported by very many 3G phones.

T-Mobile has been relocating their AWS 3G from AWS to PCS (~1900MHz) which puts them onto a more internationally used 3G band and they plan to complete this by 2013 to make room for LTE on AWS. Once they are on PCS, then they are supported by the iPhone.

16. s44

s44 Diamond Member

So much for unlimited -- and their bargain plans.

17. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

18. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Tmobile will have all of their aws markets refarmed by mid 2013 or so they say. This means all of their markets will be ready for the iPhone by then probably. There won't be an aws iPhone. Aws will be used for lte.

My readings have suggested this.

19. s44

s44 Diamond Member

20. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I don't think there will be a AWS HSPA iPhone, but the iPhone 5 already supports AWS for LTE.

21. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I hope they don't get screwed by Apple like Sprint did.

22. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

Good for t-mobile. Maybe when Apple comes to it's senses and release a larger iPhone I can get it from T-mobile.

23. kaerflog

kaerflog Golden Member

Yeah, this make the most sense.
    Since T-mobile won't sell the iPhones until 2013, it gives them time to refarm a lot of the major markets and Apple don't have to add the 1700mhz band to their phones.
    I'm starting to get 3G on my unlocked iPhones in Orlando.
    It wouldn't make sense for T-mobile to spend all the money and effort to refarm and only to have a 1700mhz iPhone.
    I won't be getting a IP5 though.
    Its a beautiful designed phone but the oblong shape is a deal breaker.
    I'm waiting for something revolutionary from Apple like doubling the 960x640 to 1920x1280.
    A 4.3" or even 4.5" 1920x1280 3:2 ratio iPhone ??? Thats something I would buy.

#22 kaerflog, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  24. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

It's the last carrier in the US for Apple to exploit....I'd hope T-Mobile realizes this during negotiations. I see no reason to do a sell your soul for the right to sell iPhones.

#23 Kenmitch, Dec 6, 2012
  25. khha4113

khha4113 Member

On other news, according to Slashgear, T-Mobile will stop offering subsidized phones in 2013, so you have pay full price. However, they'll also introduce value plans that are much cheaper than current plans.

#24 khha4113, Dec 6, 2012
  26. lupi

lupi Lifer

Plus, T-Mobile said that 80% of its activations last quarter were for Value Plans, which suggests people are actually into those plans the most.

Sounds like a rather narrow sighted view; part of the reason for this is the parent company saying they wanted to dump you and the unknown results from the new merger. Unless value plan prices become substantially cheaper, and will full service not limited text or data like many are, I don't see this going well if all the other main carriers continue status quo.