T-Mo fans: iPhone coming soon to HSPA+ on a T-Mo tower near you.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SunnyD, May 8, 2012.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

@the CTIA trade show - T-Mo "announces" that the iPhone will magically become compatible with their 3g/4g network once they start their upcoming 1900MHz shift.

... despite not selling the iPhone.

What that also means is that the slew of "other" phones available that support 1900MHz will also become magically compatible as well.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - fans iPhone coming Forum Date
    If there was an android phone with a cooling fan would you buy it? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 31, 2015
    Is there a way to attatch a tiny cooling fan to my smartphone? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jul 8, 2015
    Anyone still a fan of gigantic extended batteries? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 17, 2014
    Where have all the small phone fans gone? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 19, 2014
    Samsung pokes fun at iPhone fans Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 20, 2012

3. vshah

vshah Lifer

great news.

4. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Meh. I suspect all the people who really wanted an iPhone already got one, regardless of the network.

5. Fox5

Fox5 Diamond Member

Is this additional spectrum they're opening up, or will they be shutting down the old HSPA spectrum?

6. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

I wish they were more specific about which areas are affected.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/4GNetworkEvolutionVendorsSelected
    What does "a large number of markets" really mean? And how are they going to communicate the locations?

7. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Odds are the additional spectrum they received from the botched AT&T deal. All 1900MHz. I seriously doubt they could get away with totally shutting down their entire AWS spectrum without 98% of their customers complaining that their phones no longer work.

75% of their top 25 markets. LOL!

8. vshah

vshah Lifer

1900 is only used for 2g/edge at the moment. so they'll be reconfiguring that for hspa+. I believe the intention is to use the current 1700/2100 spectrum for LTE starting later this year.

9. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Really? So you think Apple is doing nothing but replacement sales in the U.S. now?

10. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

I didn't read it that way.
    This AWS spectrum enables them to launch LTE in 75% of their top 25 markets (ie. 18.75 cities...). The GSM -> 3G conversion seems to me to be separate event and they seem very vague on when and where it will happen but the way that I read it, it's not related to the LTE upgrade.

11. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Great news for T-Mobile.
    They'll now have access to the iPhone for free on highspeed data plans instead of having to mortgage their future like Sprint did for $16 billion.

12. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

lol. I was thinking the same thing. Sprint really screwed themselves with the iPhone deal. No way the iPhone deal will ever pay off for Sprint.

13. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Its already paying off for Sprint. I left a pretty sweet SERO deal in 2008 for an iphone. It looks like ill be coming back to Sprint this year.

14. kaerflog

kaerflog Golden Member

YES, its paying off because you will likely come back to Sprint.
    Great reasoning there.

15. Fox5

Fox5 Diamond Member

It'll be interesting to see which works out better: Sprint focusing on devices (ala ATT circa 2007-2010) or Tmobile focusing on network upgrades (ala Verizon).

Right now, Sprint's network has gotten pretty pitiful in speeds, and coverage is lacking especially for Wimax, but their 3g coverage (once you take away verizon roaming agreements) isn't too great either.

16. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Clearly, their investors don't think so and aren't happy about it given where the stock is trading today compared to the other wireless carriers.
    http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chfdeh=0&chdet=1336535033858&chddm=58973&cmpto=NYSE:S;NYSE:VZ;NYSE:T;PINK:DTEGY&cmptdms=0;0;0;0&q=sprint 16 billion iphone&ntsp=0

Sprint clearly bet their farm on the iPhone and mortgaged their future.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9PigBA&usg=AFQjCNFAu6bMN-sBOwfYCg2xzBTasGyXKw

17. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Sprint had two options, either get the iPhone or die. The fact that 1 million people on T-Mobile use the iPhone on EDGE and the company is reallocating spectrum to support 1900Mhz 3G demonstrates that if they hadn't made the financial commitment to the iPhone, they would be the only carrier not support it, and dead in 5-10 years. Period.

The iPhone may not be a huge money maker, but it stopped the mass exodus to AT&T and Verizon.

18. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

This explains tmobiles new ad campaign .

19. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Do they still have Legs?

20. lupi

lupi Lifer

So all at&t will be fully tmo compatible now? If so need to check what no-camera phones at&t offers.

21. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

There's no evidence to support that assertion. They could also have delayed getting the iPhone by a year or so, not necessarily abandon it.
    The $16 billion they spent on getting the iPhone, they could have used that to upgrade their shitty network.

Of those 1 million iPhone users on T-Mobile, how many of them use the iPhone 4S? Show me some more detailed numbers. I'm willing to bet that those 1 million people didn't pay $600+ out of pocket for an iPhone 4S just to be with T-Mobile. More than likely most of those are people whose contract have expired with AT&T and just brought their iPhone 3G/3GS over from AT&T.

The iPhone on Sprint didn't stop the mass exodus to AT&T and Verizon either.
    How many subscribers did Verizon and AT&T gain the last year? The last 2 quarters?

To your points, I offer 2 counter points:
    1.) For its sixth straight quarter, Sprint added more than one million new customers. The iPhone has only has only been on their network for 2 quarters.
    2.) Sprint post-paid net additions for subscribers Q1 2012 was only 263k(up only a "platry" 4% from Q1 2011 which was 253k), despite gaining access to and committing substantial capital towards the iPhone.

The problem for Sprint is that they're on the hook for 7.5 million iPhones per year for the next 4 years.
    Sprint only sold 1.8 million iPhones in Q4 2011, and 1.5 million in Q1 2012. They still have 4.2 million iPhones to sell between the next 2 quarters to break even on the contract.

For Sprint's sake, I hope this deal pays off for them because we need more competition between the AT&T/Verizon duopoly that we have now.
    However, I don't see how it's currently paying off today. That may change next year or the year after, who knows.

22. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

It's the same thing that happened with the iPhone on Verizon. People are on contracts, things like this takes time.

Sprint is spending serious capital to get LTE in decent shape this year.

I got the sarcasm of 'Oh, it's paying off because you're switching back to Sprint.', but I guess my point kind of was that I can't be the only one. Sprint will get customers back and they'll do it by offering the devices they want on plans cheaper and better than the competition. They have that now.

23. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

The difference here is that Verizon didn't bet their farm or mortgage their future to do it.

24. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Not necessarily. AT&T has been favoring GSM850 for quite some time now, using GSM1900 as a "fallback" in dense metro and "old" network areas. For example, my area has maybe a couple of 1900MHz towers, but about a dozen or so 850MHz towers.

Also keep in mind that AT&T is migrating to LTE on the 700MHz bands.

25. kaerflog

kaerflog Golden Member

The short answer is YES.
    Once T-mobile start rolling out HSPA+ on the 1900mhz band, all ATT phones will get 3G/4G.
    All ATT phones that I know of are 1900mhz capable.

26. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

As much as I'd like Sprint to compete with ATT/Verizon what you said is not true. Their plans have turned for the worst. Their plans are maybe within $10 of Verizon's and ATT's pricing now since they got the iPhone. The only thing they have is the unlimited talk, text, and data.

I left Sprint due to their price increases.

And as for the 1900mhz spectrum t-mobile is rolling out... I thought that was only in some of the major markets. Not a nationwide thing. Still good, but not for everyone.