t-bird overclocking guide?

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
My first question is what do i use to connect the bridges on the cpu? i heard about these pens but i dunno what to get. (i'm not an electronics engineer). and is there a step by step overclocking guide with heatsink and MB recommendations on the web somewhere? and the last thing is should i use abit or asus's mb for OCing? i hear different things from different people. (abit = easy? asus = more oc?)

tia

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I just used a pencil to connect the bridges on my 800, and it works fine. I had it at 850, but set it back to 800. I am waiting for an Alpha and FOP32 that I ordered to come in before I attempt to take it further, (the stock HSF is too hot for my tastes even not overclocked) and will use whichever of the two HSF's do the best job for me. I am using a KT7, and am very happy with the performance. I had no problems with it at all, and is very stable. With Infineon PC133 at CAS2 Turbo 133MHz, the Sandra memory benchmark comes in at 435/551.

UPDATE: Copied from my reply to another post:

Here is an update. I just received an Alpha 6035 that I ordered Friday from 2Cooltek. On a KT7/800 T-Bird system I just built, the stock HSF Idled at 55-60 Cel. I checked it a few times to make sure that it was installed properly, which it was. The heatsink it's self was pretty warm to the touch. That was at the default 800MHz. It would run at 850MHz, but I backed it down due to the temperature. It would not POST above 850.

In comes the Alpha, with a Delta "black label" I had around. With Arctic Silver applied, it reached a max of 32 Cel. at idle. I proceeded to boot almost into Win98SE at 1000MHz, then backed it down to 950 1.85V. (maximum voltage of my KT7) and it is happily running 3DMark2000 benchmarks as I type this. The Alpha is cool to the touch even after 10 loops so far. I will continue to test it through the day, but in my book the Alpha made one hell of a difference teamed with the Arctic Silver and Delta fan. I will attempt to boost the FSB later to "get the Gig" I am pretty sure it will. Even if not, 950 is not bad running as cool and stable as it is.