Sytem freezes when attaching USB devices

redbone75

May 3, 2005
Have an older build. Mobo is MSI 655 Max-LS running WinXP SP2 (yeah, I know it's a dinosaur, new build coming soon:)). Issue just started w/o warning. Was about to transfer some files to my Creative Zen Vision:M, and my player was detected but then the system froze. Had to restart and then the system would hang on startup when I had the player attached. When removing the player it started right up, but when reattaching would freeze and the only way to restart would be via the reset button. Tried attaching a USB 2.0 card reader and that hung the system as well. Tried different USB ports but same results. My mouse, a Logitech G5, works fine, but in device manager I have ?-Other devices with Logitech HID device and Logitech Pointing Device listed there. However, my printer works fine (an Epson 785EPX) and I can actually plug in an old Intel webcam which is USB 1.0 and it works fine as well, which makes me think there's something going on with my USB 2.0 drivers.

redbone75

May 3, 2005
No errors from when the Zen was connected. Nothing referring to any external devices/drives/USB anything.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Have you ever installed any drivers for a game system controller? I had a very similar issue after installing a driver for a PS3 controller.

redbone75

May 3, 2005
I do have some errors in event viewer, but those were there well before this incident started. It's with my graphics card, a 9600 all-in-wonder. The T200 unified avstream driver. Code 10 error that I've long since quit trying to fix. Tried uninstalling, cleaning the registry, updating drivers, the works. But that's been going on well before this incident.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
boot into safe mode, and go to device manager, and enable show hidden devices, and remove all the usb devices, and anything with a exclamation point, keep the zen and any unnecessary usb devices disconnected and reboot and make a note of what it adds or has trouble adding.

redbone75

May 3, 2005
Tried that in normal startup and in safe mode. Same error w/ the graphics card saying the display is an invalid CRT type (what?!) and apparently my hard drive is predicting imminent failure. Crap. There were no errors or warnings when adding any of the USB devices, though. I'm thinking my mobo might be going bad. Oh, and Narse, no, haven't installed anything recently. Waiting to build a whole new rig. Not adding anything to this one.

redbone75

May 3, 2005
Oh, and another thing, the whole system freezes to the point to where not even the event viewer will pick up the error. So, unless anyone has any ideas to the contrary, I'm thinking this is hardware related. Would love for it to not be, so any more help would be greatly appreciated.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
why would messing with the USB bother your video card? I did some checking, and there's a fix for that issue, some have went as far as completely removing all ATI drivers using CCleaner and Driver Cleaner, rebooting and then reinstalling.

redbone75

May 3, 2005
I know the issue w/ my vid card isn't messing with the USB ports, just thought I'd throw that in to see if anyone could recommend a fix:). Strange thing, though. Thought about what Narse said about this happening to him after installing a PS3 controller, so I uninstalled my Logitech mouse, d/l the latest s/w and reinstalled, but the same situation. So, I decided to put in a hdd a buddy gave me so I can start backing up some files in preparation of replacing the failing hdd. When I powered back up, the USB devices were redected, but I didn't uninstall them before putting in the new hdd. Then all of a sudden the issue is gone! WTF?! I'm a bit peaved b/c I wanted to know what the issue was. Anyway, thanks guys. Oh, robisbell, I've long since tried CCleaner and Driver Cleaner, combed the registry for any traces of anything ATI afterward several times, done many an uninstall/reinstall, and still can't get rid of that Code 10 error.