Systematic Racism in the US - Arkansas sheriff resigns over racist rant in leaked recording

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Read an article about Sheriff Todd Wright resigning. Hearing the video of his racist screed was quite upsetting. And after calling the woman he was with a "nigg*r lover," he had the audacity to say that he wasn't racist and that he wouldn't resign. For those who don't believe in systematic racism, listen to this video and tell me how this man could have treated any Black person fairly.

Here is the article about the resignation:
And here is a site with the actual audio of his screed.

• Wow
Reactions: soundforbjt

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That's not systematic racism, that's just racism.

Racism exists in this country but its not what's at issue. Systemic racism is the problem. Policies that disproportionately negatively affect one race more than another exists and needs to be corrected. You can avoid a racist and for the most part they will have little impact on your day. But with systemic racism, it can impact your life and it happens without the victim even realizing it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Another very fine person who has the power of life & death over others.

This guy is nothing but racist trash.
Weed all of these mothereffers out, even if its just one by one.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Racism exists in this country but its not what's at issue. Systemic racism is the problem. Policies that disproportionately negatively affect one race more than another exists and needs to be corrected. You can avoid a racist and for the most part they will have little impact on your day. But with systemic racism, it can impact your life and it happens without the victim even realizing it.
In this case it's both. Why?

How was this guy allowed to exist in the department for all these years? Systemic racism kept him in the force and allowed him to commit acts of overt racism.

BTW - Where were the so called "good apples" all the time this guy was on the force??

PS - I will give credit to one good apple, the person who leaked the recording. However, there will people in this forum who will complain that the racist was secretly recorded. That will be the crime vs this guy remaining on the force.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
love hjs explanation:
Wright apologized at the court meeting for any offense his recorded remarks may have caused and said that he made those comments in the heat of the moment when he was "upset over certain things."
He also insisted he was not racist.
"That's not me," he said.

if you uses language like this 'in the heat of the moment' I think that proves your are a racist because you did not stop to think before opening you mouth. if that isn't you then you were 'possessed by a demon' :laughing:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
love hjs explanation:

if you uses language like this 'in the heat of the moment' I think that proves your are a racist because you did not stop to think before opening you mouth. if that isn't you then you were 'possessed by a demon' :laughing:
but...but...racism doesn't exit

but...but...there is no reason to think because of his attitude he would treat black people differently

DO I really need the /s??

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

He is the police chief. The system is policing. The first means of redress for an ordinary citizen. He effects policing policies in that area. Thus systematic racism. Systematic racism isn't just overt policies that are disproportionate, it is that racists in power take those polices and because of their inherent bias (known or unknown) use them disproportionately against minorities. That's why laws and policies have to be made to account for that inherent racism, like that of the police chief.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
In this case it's both. Why?

How was this guy allowed to exist in the department for all these years? Systemic racism kept him in the force and allowed him to commit acts of overt racism.

BTW - Where were the so called "good apples" all the time this guy was on the force??

PS - I will give credit to one good apple, the person who leaked the recording. However, there will people in this forum who will complain that the racist was secretly recorded. That will be the crime vs this guy remaining on the force.

This is why ACAB, as incendiary a term as it is, has at least a degree of truth to it.

The issue isn't just the "few bad apples," it's that many of the ostensibly good ones don't report the bad ones, whether out of complicity or fear. I suspect there are good ones who've also never seen something they could report, but that still leaves a much larger problem than just the ones murdering black people or otherwise being vile.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Nah I think this is the classic definition of systemic racism. If you search anandtech, I'm sure you'll find multiple threads about sheriffs and other high level law enforcement officials having to resign because their racism comes to light.

If the guy who gets to make decisions on large groups of minorities is found to be personally racist (be it related to law enforcement, housing access, bank loan decisions, etc etc) and that his views likely influenced his decisions, that is the very definition of systemic racism. Finally his racism was probably not a secret at all to the people he worked with yet somehow he ended up on top. Why do you think that is? By chance? By pure hardwork?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is why ACAB, as incendiary a term as it is, has at least a degree of truth to it.

The issue isn't just the "few bad apples," it's that many of the ostensibly good ones don't report the bad ones, whether out of complicity or fear. I suspect there are good ones who've also never seen something they could report, but that still leaves a much larger problem than just the ones murdering black people or otherwise being vile.
What I’ve never understood is that the entire phrase is ‘a few bad apples spoil the bunch’, and it means exactly what you’re referring to. One or two bad apples will cause the whole bunch to rot and similarly here a few bad cops corrupt an entire department when they cover for them.

Reactions: dawp

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
"That's not me" Sure buddy, those hateful slurs with intent roll so easily off your tongue because they do so frequently.
That dovetails with @fskimospy , the entire department has heard that from him since day 1.

Reactions: Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
"That's not me" Sure buddy, those hateful slurs with intent roll so easily off your tongue because they do so frequently.
That dovetails with @fskimospy , the entire department has heard that from him since day 1.
Oh sure he's not. He'll say that at the same time beating my black ass for exercising my constitutional rights.

Reactions: skyking

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The sad part is behind closed doors this is not an isolated incident! I would vwnture it is a common daily occurrence behind closed doors...

Reactions: Meghan54

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What I’ve never understood is that the entire phrase is ‘a few bad apples spoil the bunch’, and it means exactly what you’re referring to. One or two bad apples will cause the whole bunch to rot and similarly here a few bad cops corrupt an entire department when they cover for them.
I hate it when someone misuses that phrase and indicate it's a few out of a bunch are bad and not that the bad will spoil the good.

they always take 'a few bad apple' and drop 'will ruin the barrel'

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
sheriff is an elected position, only way to remove him is to vote him out next election. or recall if possible.
sheriff is a BOOTLICKER position, only way to remove him is to vote him out next election. or recall if possible.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reminds me of Roseanne, "it's not me, it was the drugs talking", yea ok guys...

Edit: obviously, the OP is worse, his impact on his surroundings from a position of power would be much worse than someone like Roseanne IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111 and dawp

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Assholes are outing them selves all over the planet... as if we wont remember post Trump.... judgement day coming for these fuckers

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Assholes are outing them selves all over the planet... as if we wont remember post Trump.... judgement day coming for these fuckers
A lot of people were thinking the same thing in 1932. A lot of people stopped existing before judgment day.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People do not know who they are because they do not know what they feel but when they do feel it a strange monster that isn't them appears. That monster is the last defense that points to some other that keeps the feeling it is themselves they really hate. People are three things: They are what they think they are, what others can see they are, and what they really are. That last one is seldom met because hardly anybody can believe it's the real you.

I think in an ordinary everyday emotional state that man might be able to deal with black people in a civil fashion ignoring their color. Nobody wants to be a racist. Almost nobody is blind to color or can avoid having racial thoughts on their mind.