System Won't Boot

trainspotting

Mar 23, 2010
I'm putting this topic here since I can't get my new system to boot... At power up I have no video output at all and the troubleshooting LEDs on the board show a flashing "FF". Of course the mobo manual has no explanation what FF means. I've done some digging and have found that this is a problem others have had.

So any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

I have an MSI 890FXA-GD700 mobo, an AMD Phenom II CPU, an MSI R6670 GPU, and Kingston 8 GB RAM (2 x 4 GB), Corsair GS600 power supply. I have no hard drive or DVD drive connected at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Quick google search showed one person who's ram caused this. Maybe pull 1 stick out and try again. If same swap the sticks and try again. Another person forgot to connect the cpu power connector. The third one the person knocked off a mb jumper(cmos jumper) and didn't notice it. He found it on the ground :)

Last edited:

trainspotting

Mar 23, 2010
I saw the RAM switching thing...tried swapping both sticks slot by slot together and individually....no change. The only thing I can switch right now is the videocard....swapped in an ASUS EAH 4850....no difference. I am going to swap out the RAM from my daughters PC (gotta wait until she leaves!) and see if that makes any difference. Next step is to completely disassemble and reassemble everything....I sure hope I haven't hosed anything.....:oops:

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Switching the RAM didn't help. So I dissasembled everything and started over. Lo and behold! It now works!!
you just gotta love that.

I hate it when that happens. Makes you feel incompetent about building a PC.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sometimes a simple thing like case to mb connection backward etc can do this. I had a case with a sticky reset button once that wouldn't allow bootup. Once I
saw the stuck button all was fine.

Glad you got up and running! Enjoy the new rig :)