System Shock 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I really enjoyed System Shock 2. It was very immersive and the story was amazing. I mean what other game has enemies like The Many. I still remember the voices: "In the eyes of the many...", "the glory of the many". What happened to SS3? It's been almost 10 years since the last game and I heard EA bought the rights to the title. I'm really hoping they'll make number 3. I would even enjoy remakes with better graphics. Black Mesa Source looks good, but what if they remade SS1 or SS2 with the Source engine. Even better, they could use CryEngine 2. Remember, the SHODAN didn't die in number 2, so that leaves room for another game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Unless Warren Specter is in charge, any attempt to do a System Shock 3 will result in a fail of epic proportions.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Unless Warren Specter is in charge, any attempt to do a System Shock 3 will result in a fail of epic proportions.

If EA would do a 3rd part and mess it up I will hate this company forever. No matter what they come up with later. SS2 was one of the best (if not the best) games I have ever played.

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
EA owns the rights to this game and I remember when they where asked about this game(SS3) they literally said they don't give a shit about system shock. I remember seeing it on gamespot or was it PC gamer magazine.....

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's better to leave System Shock 3 unmade, by any development team out there. There are some such games out there, of the extreme rarity, that were made during times when the PC gaming development mentalities, philosophies and goals where for some unexplainable or inexcusable reasons completely different (and better) than they are today.

All of those games were made by teams that aren't united anymore today, which parted ways, divided themselves for various good and bad reasons and went on their own paths, sometimes for the worst case scenarios. Those jewels of entertainment, those classics must be left alone on their gold plate for eternity and never shall any attempt at giving their name a new life ever be again, System Shock 2 is one such game.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

See: Deus Ex 3. :(

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Bioshock was the successor to System Shock 2.

Bioshock was a pile of dog crap with a stick in it compared to SS2.

bassoprofundo

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
www.heatware.com

The so-called "spiritual" successor... Nothing to do with the original storyline, though. SS2 was definitely one of the best games I've ever played, and I tend more toward RPGs than FPSs. Dang... I want to go back and play it again now... Modern graphics be damned...

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
If anyone were to make the sequel it would have to be by the same dev team on a different name for the game (kindof like Crysis with respect to FarCry)

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Wasn't Deus Ex 2 the fail? Never heard of Deus Ex 3

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Well since Bioshock is pretty much a rehash of SS2 that has been dumbed down and freshly painted, then Bioshock 2 could be considered SS3....

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: BassBomb
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Wasn't Deus Ex 2 the fail? Never heard of Deus Ex 3

Yes, Deus Ex 2 was fail, but I believe they are making a Deus Ex 3, which will also be fail.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I wish we could get "remakes" of old games like they do movies.

I personally would love to play System Shock 2 again with updated graphics.

And maybe a remake of a game like Bioforge, nothing like beating a guy to death with his own severed arm. :D

Quizard

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Originally posted by: MTDEW
I wish we could get "remakes" of old games like they do movies.

I personally would love to play System Shock 2 again with updated graphics.

And maybe a remake of a game like Bioforge, nothing like beating a guy to death with his own severed arm. :D

Maybe someone will do a total conversion mod for SS2, like take the Bioshock engine(Unreal engine) and remake SS2 just like what someone is doing for the original Half-life with the source engine.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
I'd be happy with a graphics revamp of the original SS2 game. I'm played withe the Rebith mods which certainly make things look a little more modern.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: zerogear
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Originally posted by: Canai

Bioshock was a pile of dog crap with a stick in it compared to SS2.

It should be called Biotrash.

Calm down there :)

That game was aweful. It is the gum that gets stuck to the bottom of your shoe! It was a dumbed down clone of SS2 that got extremely old and predictable. Screaming demented looney tunes don't scare me. Neither did the cartoon look. What kept SS2 from getting old was that it was original and had a fantastic story.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I know most consider Bioshock to be the successor to System Shock 2, but i personally dont see it.
The games really had nothing in common in my opinion.

While Bioshock wasnt a bad game, i do agree it wasnt nearly as good as SS2.

SS2 in my opinion was by far the scariest game ive ever played.
Mostly due to outstanding sound.

I remember hiding from "the many" praying "my god, i hope he doesnt see me" constantly.
Never in a game since then have i ever felt so immersed in a game.

Man, i'd love to see System Shock 2 and Deus Ex remade rather than being stuck with the usual Call Of Duty, Halo etc...etc... sequals we get every year.

Its actually hard to believe no developer has ever tried this.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I know most consider Bioshock to be the successor to System Shock 2, but i personally dont see it.

I remember hiding from "the many" praying "my god, i hope he doesnt see me" constantly.

Man, i'd love to see System Shock 2 and Deus Ex remade rather than being stuck with the usual Call Of Duty, Halo etc...etc... sequals we get every year.

I don't see how you can play both games and not notice the glaring similarities. It is one of the few things that I actually agree with Yahtzee on.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Dumac

I don't see how you can play both games and not notice the glaring similarities. It is one of the few things that I actually agree with Yahtzee on.
I honestly dont.
Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies, Little Sisters and the 40's underwater colony setting (i think it was the 1940's, cant remember) vs Shodan, The Many and Space setting.

Maybe its because the "old time" music, underwater habitat and wierd ballroom masked characters gave Bioshock such a different feel for me as a game setting vs SS2.
The masked enemies were more just "silly looking" than frightening for me.

Anyway, i think we can all agree SS2 was easily the better game.
And a SS2 remake would be more welcome than Bioshock 2 for me at least.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Nobody is referring to the setting for each game. It's the gameplay concepts that are nearly identical between the two. The similarities are too numerous to mention...

Bioshock was a phenomenal game. One of my all-time favorites for sure. I'm convinced that people hate this game because of the overwhelming amount of praise it received from review sites. It certainly is not perfect, and I hate that it's a direct port of a console game. But what's there, the actual content, is so good it almost hurts.

I'm kind of glad everyone seems to hate Bioshock, it gives me street cred as someone that doesn't just go along with the crowd! Now would you kindly break that puppy's neck...

Status
Not open for further replies.