Question System seems to be running slow

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I have been transcoding with handbrake with my old FX 8350 and the frame rate seems to be too low. I am getting about 20 fps. My laptop with an i7-6700HQ gets about 40fps with the same settings. I looked at benchmarks as far as I can tell they seem to be about the same performance. Not sure why I'm getting half the frame rate?

Jul 27, 2020
Not sure why I'm getting half the frame rate?
Yeah their multicore performance is roughly similar. Did you update the FX PC's OS recently? Maybe some sort of Spectre/Meltdown mitigations update is slowing down the CPU. What about the Handbrake version? Was it updated recently? It may have the optimizations for FX series removed due to dropping support for that generation of CPUs.

Also, if you are using Intel QuickSync in the handbrake settings on the laptop, that is supposed to be much faster. An FX CPU's software-only encoding won't be able to beat that.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
They are both running under Windows 7. I'm running Handbrake 1.1.2. with both. I had another FX 8350 running Handbrake under Linux and it was getting a lot better fps, in the 40-60 fps range. The encode settings weren't as high but not that much higher. It was an older version of Handbrake but not sure what version. I'll check QuickSync but I don't think it is enabled. I'm mostly want to know if there is an issue with my system. The slow fps isn't really the main issue.