System reboots- may be static electricity

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
It seems whenever I first sit down or push my chair away from the folding table I have, my computer reboots. I swapped out my USB keyboard for a PS/2, swapped my MS mouse for a Logitech, looked for some dangling wire plugged into my pc, but haven't solved the problem.

My table is one of the plastic topped jobs you see at Sam's Club or COSTCO. I have an area rug on an oak floor which could likely generate a static charge but my gf won't let me remove it as it protects the oak from my desk chair's wheels.

My mouse sits on a 1030 sUrface mouse pad which I can't imagine is the problem. My PC is on the floor under my desk with two UPSs. I inserted a Sperry Instruments 3 prong outlet tester into the UPS the pc is using and it tested "Correct".

If this is a common problem is there a recognized solution? I even just purchased a new PSU thinking maybe it was the source of the problem. I have a Corsair 650 W which I expected would be insulated against static disruptions. I swapped out a video card thinking that was the cause... I even dropped my RAM overclock so now only the CPU is overclocked.

I'm convince it's a static issue or else my computer doesn't like me to either approach or leave.

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
Don't post the same question in multiple sections. Stick with one.

After composition I couldn't connect to the servers. I was unaware I had even posted once.
Also, my damn pc rebooted while waiting for the forum servers to display a Preview Post. I suppose in frustration I had clicked the "Submit Reply" button, again to which I got no reply.

Last edited:

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
i think your computer just doesnt like you.

while your computer is running, i cant imagine there being a static issue. your computer chassis is by nature grounded. (unless, for some reason, the wire in your house is ungrounded?) as is every component you have plugged into it.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Yes the metal of the case is grounded. But with the mouse connected to the front panel there is no dirrect grounding (in the other thread he mentioned that his mouse is conencted threw the front panel USB). The front panel connectors are in plastic and rely on the grounding wire in the connector for the ground. SO there is no dirrect contact between the ground of the connector and the case. So as i mentioned in this same thread in the Computer Help section, the static charge has to flow all the way down and threw the motherboard. With the front panel's USB being so close to the power button connection the charge makes the motherboard think its been told to cut the power or restart the system.