system for making announcements for multiple rooms?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
a friend is opening a restaurant with multiple rooms to host small private parties.
he wants a system whereby he can make announcements if there is ever a need. kind of like those announcements a principal makes during homeroom period. what are my options?
i dont mind running 14awg wires all over the place. and there are plenty of ethernet ports that goes back to the maintenance room.
please advise. thanks!

Feb 25, 2011
Don't business phones often have a loudspeaker/page mode? Just put a phone in each room.

Otherwise, assuming you have a stereo for music, can just hook up a mic to that.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Don't business phones often have a loudspeaker/page mode? Just put a phone in each room.

Otherwise, assuming you have a stereo for music, can just hook up a mic to that.

business phone not loud enough in speaker mode. and plus, the person inside the room has to physically answer the phone to hear.

each of these rooms have their own audio, independent of other rooms and not connected back to the office room. :(

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yeah I don't get the reinventing the wheel thing when PA systems exist. You need a mic, a preamp, then decide whether to run thin (low gauge/cheaper) wires to each room with a powered amp at each speaker, or run thick/expensive wire with the amp at the head unit/mic, and of course an in-wall or ceiling speaker would be less obtrusive, and for ease of use, print a map of the facility and plaster that on a panel that you put switches in to determine which rooms receive the audio. Keep in mind that the low gauge wires running line level signals may have excessive noise pickup if not shielded so it could turn out to be nearly as expensive or more after factoring in a separate amp per speaker and wiring AC power to each. Then there's wireless...

Last edited: