System Compatibility - X470 / Ryzen 2700 with old 3ware/LSI 9650SE Raid Card

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Okay, so I've been slamming my head against a wall with a new system build / refresh. I recently upgraded my 2500K + P67 system (in sig) to a Ryzen 2700 based system with the addition / replacement of the following parts:

New:
Ryzen 2700
Taichi X470 (regular, not ultimate)
16GB of DDR4 (2x8GB)
1TB ADATA 8200 Pro (OS drive)

Existing Components:
VEGA FE
LSI/3ware 9650SE (8 port version)
6x 4TB Seagate NAS drives (previously configured in a Raid 6)
1TB Crucial/Micron SATA SSD
750W Corsair PSU

I did a fresh install of Win 10 pro, and had a hell of a time getting even windows to install. I was getting post codes (read from the DR debug light) of 40, which per the manual is a memory error. As Ryzen is still somewhat sensitive to memory (or so I thought), I started troubleshooting this as a memory issue. Sometimes it would boot to the USB drive (containing my Windows 10 installer), sometimes it would boot to "recovering windows," and sometimes I'd actually get like half way through the windows install before crashing out. I swapped out the memory kit, same issues, tried various dimm slots with single sticks, same issues (I was also booting at JEDEC spec speeds, not using XMP profiles). Ultimately, I pulled out the 9650SE raid card as a trouble shooting step, which admittedly I shouldn't have installed until the system was up and running anyway, and the install went flawlessly.

Which brings me to my problem, I can't, for the life of me, get this system to boot with the RAID card installed. Note that I'm not trying to actually boot from it (it's just for storage). I originally installed Windows using legacy mode, but have since re-installed using UEFI mode.

When running in Legacy mode (after a good install), when I installed the card and rebooted I saw the 3ware bios come up and was able to access them. The (raid card) bios said that everything on the card was fine. When I exited the bios and continued to boot, it would just hang and give me debug 40 code (which as I said the MB manual says is memory related). That being said, I've tested this memory without the raid card installed and no issues. I've also tried it with a secondary DDR4 kit.

When running in UEFI mode, it'll just hang during the UEFI boot splash screen, or, load to UEFI recovery / windows recovery. It is never fully able to boot into Windows.

I've tried all of the above with and without the drives attached to the card, with pretty much the same result. I was able to (once) boot into windows (under UEFI) with the naked card plugged in, but was ultimately unsuccessful in doing anything (mouse cursor jumped around / lagged out / system locked). I have not been able to replicate getting into windows.

So, anyone have any ideas what I should try next?

Edit: note that I am also running the most recent MOBO UEFI version (tried 1.6, 2.0, and 2.3 - current).

Momonishiki

May 26, 2019
The last 3ware driver I see was released in November 2013 and only supports up to Windows 7. So it supported your prior Windows 7 system but not Win 10.

I had the same 3ware card. It was great, but I don't see Broadcom putting in the effort to update drivers for these cards categorized in the "Legacy" support section.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
The last 3ware driver I see was released in November 2013 and only supports up to Windows 7. So it supported your prior Windows 7 system but not Win 10.

I had the same 3ware card. It was great, but I don't see Broadcom putting in the effort to update drivers for these cards categorized in the "Legacy" support section.

You are correct; however, I didn't upgrade from windows 7. I must not have updated that part of my signature for a LONG time. I did the upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 right at the end of the period where they were still free, and then upgraded to Windows 10 shortly after it came out. I never had a problem with the card running under Windows 10.

With that being said, could this be a driver issue? I was really expecting that it was a hardware setting / conflict. If it were a driver issue, I would assume that it would at least boot into windows and then subsequently just not work. Even in legacy mode, this thing doesn't get through BIOS (with windows installed on an MBR drive).

Edit: updated my signature to reflect that I was previously using Windows 10 w/ this card.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wanted to say, it's possible that the card is unable to allocate memory or a memory-mapped window, in the HMA (region between 640KB and 1MB of RAM). This region is used for expansion card BIOSes. On more modern PCI-E / UEFI systems, I'm not sure how it's handled, although given the age of the card, it probably doesn't have a UEFI firmware on the card.

Reactions: Wuzup101

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
To rule out any incompatibility between the motherboard and 3ware card BIOSes, put a live Linux image (Ubuntu should work fine for this) on a USB thumbdrive and try booting from it. If Linux boots without glitches, sees the controller and virtual drives, then it's a Windows problem.
Try both EFI and BIOS compatibility mode (CSM enabled).

Reactions: Wuzup101

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
No dice using live linux (I used Ubuntu). It booted fine, as expected with the card installed. It also booted once with CSM on with the card installed but couldn't see the card. Rebooting after that left the machine spinning during the boot process. If I changed it over to legacy only in CSM, there was no difference from the windows booting behavior. I could see the card bios come up, and access them, but the ASRock spash screen that would come up after spun and spun until I restarted the system and removed the card. I couldn't even access the UEFI / BIOS in this configuration without removing the card, which is the same behavior I experienced before.

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
What have you set in your BIOS for the following?
  • SR-IOV (in Advanced -> North bridge)
  • ACPI HPET Table (in Advanced -> ACPI)
  • TSME (in Advanced -> AMD CBS)
  • Launch Storage OpROM Policy (in Boot)

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Whelp, problem solved. Microcenter let me return the Taichi to them (despite being outside of the 15 day window) and I bought an open box Asus Crosshair Hero VII for $137 ($30 discount w/ processor). Raid card booted right up, first time, no issues.

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
You lucky there. I just bought a gigabyte x570 and I am having the same problem, no boot. Heres hoping an Asus board will fix it, I'm not looking forward to having to resurrect my old rig just to get 8 tb worth of files back but it wure would be easier than the 2 days I've struggled trying to get it to boot.
It may be none of the new 570 boards will support the card, Asus has a better track record there from my experience.
Thanks for figuring it out.

bluechris

Sep 19, 2014
Guys i had the same problems in a asrock x570 pro4 where i have on it a Hp p410 2gb/FWBC and a Dell h200 (with LSI IT P20 firmware) and the one or the other hunged the bios if i had the CSM to Legacy or uefi.
I disabled the CSM all together and i boot fine and esxi 6.5 saw both the controllers fine.

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
Bluechris, thanks for that, I thought I had done all that plus enable "all sata" but I will check that.
Thanks girls, 😜
Sj

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
After all this, what are the downside/ appreciable difference between the two chips,470 vs570¿? Am I really giving up all that much to down grade ?
I know I could research that but if someone has already done it,will save me some time,.
Thanks y'all

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
FWIW, I have a MSI x470 Gaming Plus motherboard that worked fine with a Dell Perc H310 flashed to it mode. It has no bios flashed to it though (so, nothing pops up during startup) because I skipped that step when flashing. Prior to it mode/removal of existing bios I noticed this card greatly increased boot time. Without it the disks are seen but it boots quite quickly again.

bluechris

Sep 19, 2014
My asrock x570 pro4 just died on me with no reason and i gave it back so i will order a new one on Monday so i will know if it works in another x570 in a few days after i decide which one to buy.
Im torn between the asus x570 pro ace mainly for the ipmi ability of it and the gigabyte x570 aorus pro or ultra.

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
Yes, but you do not have the 3 Ware card. I don't know if your card is comparable/compatible with the 9560
What would be interesting is to know if your card would recognize my drive arrays from the 9650se.
I ordered an Asus470 same one as wuzzup101 as he really reports that the 9560SE works on it.

Good luck

Last edited:

MalRen

Oct 31, 2019
Hello,

I'm will go to this problem :( .

Old :
Intel DP67GB + i72600k 3,4Ghz + G.Skill Trident 8 Go x 2
Asus Rog Mars GTX 760x2
3x Dell 20" 2001fp 1600 x 1200
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
LSI 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML

Currently :
Intel DP67GB + i72600k 3,4Ghz + G.Skill Trident 8 Go x 2
Asus GeForce Dual RTX 2080 Ti OC :)
Asus ROG Swift PG349Q 35" 3440 x 1440 :)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
LSI 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML x 4 HD of 2 To

I got a big problem with the "VESA bios extension".
I have to Intel logo and I could enter to the bios.
After I have a black screen with juste displayed 2 characters "0_" (with my new and my old screen) :(

Future :
I think that I have to move to a new motherboard, CPU and DDR4...
And I want to have no problem with my LSI 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML
I have 10 years of files like photo...

You have found a solution with an AMD CPU Can I have a solution with an Intel CPU ???

Best Regard,