System builders - where is a good place to unload custom computers?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a few computers that I built last year, still trying to get rid of them and get some of my money back. I figured I could make a little coin, based on the Microcenter buy an AMD CPU and get a free/nearly-free motherboard, but I also ended up with DDR2 mobos, and therefore I had to spend nearly $100 on 4GB of DDR2 back then.

So I know that you could likely built the same rig for same or slightly cheaper, again using MC combos, with DDR3 (ridiculously cheap). But that's what I've got.

I tried selling them for a profit at an electronics flea, and that really bombed out.
I tried putting them on Craigslist.
I haven't tried ebay, but I've heard nightmares about PayPal chargebacks, sellers getting scammed, etc., and also I'm concerned that shipping a computer would be expensive, and that the computer might get damaged in shipping.

I'm about to resort to putting ads into the local advertisement flyer/paper, they have a deal where you can put an ad in for like 10 words, for free, for items under $250.

I have two AMD quad-cores, and two Intel dual-cores, all brand new.

I did manage to sell one of the quad-cores (I had actually built three of them), to someone at a flea, but I had to throw in an HD4850 to make the sale, and that meant that I sold it at a loss.

I haven't really advertised, I had an issue with where I'm living, that I sold a computer to a resident of my complex, and they never paid me, yet they threatened to try to get me kicked out, claiming that I was running a business out of my apt. It's really much more of a hobby than a business, I don't really make any money at it. (Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?)

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It sounds more like an addiction -- building custom PCs on spec is not a good way to make money, as you've found out.

Not that building them on demand is a way to make much money either, unless you're an established shop like Puget Systems.

You might grit your teeth and take the loss from selling them through FS/FT here. Dealers are not allowed, but I'd expect the mods would let you get rid of the 4 you've already built as a one-time thing.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, it is an addiction. I had the CPUs, HDs, DVD drives, and RAM, so I bought some DDR3 S775 mobos and some slimline cases to build some systems. Which is nice, but now I've got four systems to get rid of.

I've never really used FS/FT much here. I don't want to have to ship the systems.

Plus, I probably would be considered a "dealer" by the mods, given the qty that I buy stuff in.

I'm actually toying with giving some of them away. I've been trying to give away a modern P4 rig that I built two years ago, for a client that changed their mind on the specs of what they wanted the machine for, so that's been hanging around too. P4 2.8 @ 3.2, 2GB DDR2, PCI-E x1300 card, it's a pretty nice machine as far as P4 rigs go.

I should mention that I had another rig, that I built and used for myself for about a month, that I did sell at the flea, but again, for a loss. It was a nice G31/E5200 rig in a ThermalTake V4 case, which has a really nice look to it. I think it had 2GB of DDR2.

I had another neighbor tell me that she needed a computer, her prior Dell was flaking out on her. But I was strongly advised by a relative not to sell a computer to her, because she would likely turn into a problem if the computer ever failed on her, so I told her to go to Staples.

Last edited:

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Larry, clearly you need to move to the US, specifically close to me here in PA, and sell your spare stuff to me ;) I will even drive to your new place to save you shipping stuff !

Hard one to call based on plenty of factors. I had good luck selling my gear on Ebay, at least until Ebay took their cut, and I was left with a pittance of what I expected to get.

CL has been OK for me, at least better than Ebay, but again there are times I sell 2 a month, other times that I go for 3 months without a sale. With my IT job, I have a lot of co-workers asking me if I have any PCs to sell, so that's been my bread and butter for years now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry, clearly you need to move to the US, specifically close to me here in PA, and sell your spare stuff to me ;) I will even drive to your new place to save you shipping stuff !

Hard one to call based on plenty of factors. I had good luck selling my gear on Ebay, at least until Ebay took their cut, and I was left with a pittance of what I expected to get.

CL has been OK for me, at least better than Ebay, but again there are times I sell 2 a month, other times that I go for 3 months without a sale. With my IT job, I have a lot of co-workers asking me if I have any PCs to sell, so that's been my bread and butter for years now.

I live in the good ole US of A!

And if you think you can sell these PCs better than I can, then I will gladly sell them to you for the cost of parts (no charge for assembly/testing), if you want to make a road trip.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Sorry Larry, not sure why I had the wrong idea you were abroad. I'd be interested to see if your builds sold in my area on CL, as I did have good luck selling a few budget gamer rigs last year.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Have you tried the For Sale or Trade Forum in the Merchandise & Shopping section?

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Have you tried the For Sale or Trade Forum in the Merchandise & Shopping section?

+1. I've been telling Larry for over a year now that I get first dibs before he starts selling off his stash. He still has over 100 fans left from that SVC deal !! D:

FS/TD is a lotta fun. I've been buying from respected sellers for a while now, and I have always gotten good prices and working gear. Its actually a better deal for me to buy from sellers here then any local CL seller.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I did manage to sell one of the quad-cores (I had actually built three of them), to someone at a flea, but I had to throw in an HD4850 to make the sale, and that meant that I sold it at a loss.

Generally speaking hardware gets cheaper and faster with time. In other words, it's almost a 99% certainty that you will have to resell your older computers at a loss. Are you trying to build computers and sell them at a premium? That would only work if you are building very nice aftermarket systems with premium components. There are plenty of people who would buy an overclocked 2500k @ 4.7ghz + everything assembled and looks nice since they wouldn't know how to build something like that.

We have many examples of firms that do this like Cyber Power, etc.

However, to make this into a business, you'd need to start a business, hire some employees or you'll be building them yourself for 10-12 hours a day!

I used Craigslist / Kijiji to sell most of my stuff in Canada. Not sure if this would be an effective channel where you live. But it works for me (although I don't sell my old parts for a profit, but more like to recoup my "investment" to rebuy newer parts -- so I expect a loss).

Also, since you already live in US where computer parts are the cheapest, US citizens have access to the same deals too. This makes it extremely hard for you to buy parts at MC and try to resell them at a profit later (i.e., if you have a MC near you, that means hundreds of people who are savy enough to build computers go there too!). And since you don't offer 1 year warranty like Staples or BestBuy, non-savy buyers wouldn't be interested in your parts either.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And since you don't offer 1 year warranty like Staples or BestBuy, non-savy buyers wouldn't be interested in your parts either.
If I could get "list price" (what I want for my builds, including a profit), I would happily give my customers a 1-year warranty. I've done that on a few builds that I've done for people. Generally, most components will last at least a year, so I'm not afraid to do that.

But I wouldn't do that for Craigslist peeps, or the flea. (Although, I gave the one I sold at the flea a six-month warranty.)

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
The problem is one of customer perception of the actual value added, unless you're doing something exotic with case modding, sleeving, etc. Anyone can order/buy parts, grab a Phillips and have a go at it otherwise, and those that can't or won't would probably sooner buy one retail.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
^ right, most people want either a prebuilt with warranty (so you're competing with Staples and Dell) or an exotic special-purpose PC with exactly the right parts, which doesn't match your random prebuilts and has you competing with Alienware, Cyberpower, Puget Systems, etc.

Since you still enjoy doing this, have you thought of looking for part-time work with some local PC shop that needs assembly or repair work?