Syrian President has head in ass and can still speak... Says Al-Qaeda is a myth created by USA.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
That's my point. By ignoring half the world (if not more), the US has positioned itself in a place of incredible arrogance and flippancy. As if the US is the ONLY country in the world, and if anyone else doesn't like it, too bad. That's incredibly patronizing and belligerent, and I, for one, hope that the US would take a different stance.
We take the stance that can protect out national interest FIRST. If its ignorance to take care of ourselves then call me the most ignorant SOB there is. And what half of the world are we ignoring?

You're purposefully missing the point. In the same way that we cannot simply whisk murderers into prison under the pretense that they're "just bad people and deserve to be locked up," we shouldn't be able to do that with dictators either.

Our premise for going to war was, undoubtedly, the alleged violation of UN Resolution 1441. Colin Powell tried to convince the UN that Iraq was in violation of 1441, Bush addressed the American People saying that he was in violation of 1441 and had NBC weapons and was a threat to the United States. And now that we've conquered Iraq (to the glee of the likes of Paul Wolfowitz), the 1441 argument seems to have faded from view due to the very precise media campaign of the Bush administration.

If he was a bad guy, it's okay. Who cares that we tried to make you believe the reason we were going in was to prevent the illegal proliferation of NBC weapons and to protect the livelihood of the American people, he's a dictator and he deserved to die. Again, I'm not saying that I would still like Saddam to be in power. Nor am I claiming that I have an innate problem with a US invasion; my problem is the eerie Machiavellian nature of all of this. And if you can't see that, I'm afraid the wool's over your eyes too.
I missed the point huh? You come to the same conclusion as me. Saddam being out of power is a GOOD thing. Sure the Bush administration used half truths and probably some flat out lies but I guess I can forgives them since there end goal was just.
Well, Hitler was romping through Europe, conquering every contry in his path, setting up concentration camps and killing people of all types. Last I checked, Saddam was pretty solitary in his little bubble. Not to mention the fact that the ENTIRE WORLD was behind the offensive (or defensive, if you like) against Hitler, whereas a few countries like Palau were with us this time. I think that speaks for itself.

It does speak for itself. You think nothing of the Iraqi people who were killed on a daily basis for no reason. One thousand jews or one thousand Iraqis are the same to me.. They all should be defended. And apparently the US is the only country, along with a few allies, in this world with the courage to do so..

If that's what you've reduced my arguments down to, you've clearly missed the point over and over again.
Damn, I keep missing that point!
I guess in the end me and you see the world in different views. I see good against evil. You see republican against democrat or right against left. Maybe I'm just an IDIOT like you all like to call Bush.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Did you hear Rumsfeld yesterday talk about Iran?
seems we're priming the pumps to visit there soon...
Talk of destabilizing from without if from within is not effective to change the regime there. Least that was my take on it.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IamDavid
We take the stance that can protect out national interest FIRST. If its ignorance to take care of ourselves then call me the most ignorant SOB there is.

You seem to waver equivocally back and forth, never really coming to a decision: did we invade Iraq to, as you suggest later in this very same post, "defend the Iraqi people," or protect ourselves above all others?

Furthermore, could you please point out some proof, not laden with, as, again, you yourself say later in this post, the Bush administration's "half-truths" and "flat out lies," that Saddam was a direct threat to the American people?

And what half of the world are we ignoring?

To quote a recent blurb from The New Yorker:

And this is, after all, the President who dismissed the demonstrations of Februrary 15th -- when ten million people, in six hundred cities across the globe, marched against the invasion of Iraq in what was probably the largest one-day protest in hostory -- with the observation that he never listened to "focus groups."

Not to mention the populations of countries around the world who disagreed with our stance on Iraq. And no, not just the French, as Karl Rove and the clan would like you to believe, but populations from countries who were part of the "coalition of the willing":

Even though Spain's Prime Minister, for example, was one of the willing, the opposition of ninety per cent of his voting public meant that he was confined to contributing a hospital ship and humanitarian help, rather than combat troops, to the war effort. A private deal cut with Turkey's top politicians fell apart on the parliament floor despite American inducements amounting to some twenty-six billion dollars, because the Turkish public wouldn't abide it

I missed the point huh? You come to the same conclusion as me. Saddam being out of power is a GOOD thing. Sure the Bush administration used half truths and probably some flat out lies but I guess I can forgives them since there end goal was just.

Ever read The Prince, or 1984, or A Brave New World? If not, I suggest that you do. The horrifying complacency and complete trust in the government you display here is naive and, frankly, mind-boggling. The idea that the government can trounce around, toppling governments that, sure, may have been bad ones, without proper evidence and/or reasons, as if they are on a mission from God, is Orwellian/Machiavellian (take your pick) at best, and totalitarian at worst. I'm aghast at the fact that you are okay with that. The ends DO NOT JUSTIFY the means.

I guess in the end me and you see the world in different views. I see good against evil. You see republican against democrat or right against left. Maybe I'm just an IDIOT like you all like to call Bush.

Good against evil. Hah. I only wish the world were so simple. Please, put down Lord of the Rings and go pick up a newspaper. Nothing is so clear-cut, unfortunately.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
IamDavid - << Sure the Bush administration used half truths and probably some flat out lies but I guess I can forgives them since there end goal was just. >>

Wow. :Q

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard
IamDavid - << Sure the Bush administration used half truths and probably some flat out lies but I guess I can forgives them since there end goal was just. >>

Wow. :Q

Your wow and I'll raise you a wow!:Q