Synology vs QNAP

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Working on a build of a half rack that will include 2x HP Gen 9 DL360s, 2xHP 2920s in stacked mode, and storage.

These servers will be in HA Hyper-V 2012R2 until 2016 comes out. Will run 5-10 VMs depending on what we need. Switches setup in stack mode with full redundancy. Storage will be iSCSI target with MPIO. I will be packing the VM lun with SSDs. There will be a storage share that will use spinning drives. I was set to go with a Synology 3614RPxs. I have used this device in the past as a backup target for Veeam. This time around due to budget it is going to be used as the production SAN.

But then I get word Synology is discontinuing the 3614 series for the 3617 series. Which is fine except they seem to have stopped production on the 3614s all together. Hard to find and the only 3617 available doesn't have dual power. So I am out looking at QNAP.

The QNAP TVS-1271U-RP seems to have a lot of the same functionality as the 3614 series. Anybody used both of these devices? Or has anybody used both brands? Am I going to be missing something in the QNAP if I go with it over the Synology? My concern is this review

http://www.storagereview.com/qnap_tvs1271urp_12bay_nas_review

At the end noted a con was poor SSD performance. Yikes!

And I cant move up to low end Netapp, Equalogic, or EMC due to budget. And with our workload these types of devices should perform well enough. Any input is appreciated.