Symantec uninstall password

tleschuck

Nov 7, 2005
I have taken over a Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 that is in bad shape. Lot's of work to do that I don't know where to begin with. Anyhow....

The last network admin setup Symantec AntiViris Corp Edition 8.0 as a server on this server. Clients are tied into this.

I need to uninstall AntiVirus 8.0 but it is prompting me for a password. I have done a search and come up with the local admin PW or "symantec" PW. I have reset the local admin PW so that I don't think is the problem. Does this Antivirus tie itself in into the local admin PW? I'll try "symantec" though.

I have gone onto Symantec's website and it's a mess with a search done and nothing doing. I have tried calling them and I'm lost in the abyss of transfer after transfer.

If I can't get the password is there anything else I can do?

mamisano

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2000
I think it is asking you for the Server Group password, not the uninstall password. Does it have the Symantec Management console installed?

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
You can create a custom GRC.dat file that has the install non-password protected. Dump that GRC file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5 and start and stop the SAV service. It will reload the new GRC file and you can then uninstall SAV. Make sure you have show hidden folders enabled or else you won't be able to see that application data folder under all users.

tleschuck

Nov 7, 2005
Originally posted by: mamisano
I think it is asking you for the Server Group password, not the uninstall password. Does it have the Symantec Management console installed?

Yes...the management console is installed.

tleschuck

Nov 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ND40oz
You can create a custom GRC.dat file that has the install non-password protected. Dump that GRC file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5 and start and stop the SAV service. It will reload the new GRC file and you can then uninstall SAV. Make sure you have show hidden folders enabled or else you won't be able to see that application data folder under all users.

How would I go about creating this custom GRC.dat file?

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just a guess here, but look at the existing GRC.dat file, open in notepad, make the changes necessary or make a new GRC.dat file.

tleschuck

Nov 7, 2005
Well it turns out that the password was the default "symantec". Glad that's all it was.

However; I'll keep the other answers if I run into a situation where there is a forgotten password.

Thanks all.