Symantec goes into the DNS business with NortonDNS

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
If anyone can screw up something as simple as DNS, Symantec can. I would stay far away from this.

Berkeley did a solid job of messing up DNS for everybody. Ever seen the bug reports and security exploits for each new version of BIND?

I don't really see the benefit here since there is no reason for an average user to run a local DNS server...but this is not really DNS so much as it is domain filtering. Most "security" software packages already include some type of feature to block or at least warn you about "bad" websites.

If you want to use a public DNS server because you feel the one provided by your ISP is inadequate (which it's probably not if you live in the US), you can use Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for free, otherwise what's the point?

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
I prefer OpenDNS but yea Google is pretty good. I would rather people not keep my internet history :)

Then you might as well stop browsing the Internet. Nearly every site you visit tracks where you came from and where you are going and possibly where you've been.

zetsway

Nov 8, 2007
Then you might as well stop browsing the Internet. Nearly every site you visit tracks where you came from and where you are going and possibly where you've been.

True but they don't put together a record of "all" the sites you been to and offer them to the highest bidder.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
True but they don't put together a record of "all" the sites you been to and offer them to the highest bidder.

Facebook does/did exactly that. My point is that trusting one company with your data over another on the Internet is shortsighted as every company has the same ability to farm your information and sell it.

Check out http://ha.ckers.org/weird/CSS-history-hack.html for a simple proof of concept of how easy it is to get your browsing history. Leaky DNS requests are just a small part of the information gathering on the Internet.

zetsway

Nov 8, 2007
Facebook does/did exactly that. My point is that trusting one company with your data over another on the Internet is shortsighted as every company has the same ability to farm your information and sell it.

Check out http://ha.ckers.org/weird/CSS-history-hack.html for a simple proof of concept of how easy it is to get your browsing history. Leaky DNS requests are just a small part of the information gathering on the Internet.

$_SESSION variables in JS, yeah , yeah I know. Man some ppl read into everything someone says :)