[SyFy Friday] Killjoys Season 4 Starts July 20th

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
not too bad, did have a SGU feel to it with them having some control of the ship and without the save the ship every moment feel to it.

like the black guy in everything ive seen him in so that's a plus.

they've gone a bit overboard so far on douche factor for #3.

wonder how long it goes till we find the cause for the member wipe that allowed them to go from straight up assassins to the a-team in space.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Episode 2 is perhaps not as strong as episode 1, but I liked it. It picks up well enough from the first episode, and puts the rest of the series in motion.

If I have one bone to pick with the episode, it's that random industrial facilities are overused in sci-fi. Coupled with a lack of any real outdoor on-location shooting is perhaps a bit of a downer since this is basically the second-half of the pilot (meaning we may not get many outdoor shoots at all).

And
Weir! Give me McKay and Sheppard and it'll be just like old times again.

I didn't know who Jodelle Ferland was so I looked her up and was surprised. I knew she looked familiar but didn't expect that she would be "Harmony" from the Stargate: Atlantis episode of the same name, where she plays a young, 12-14 year old future queen who has a crush on Sheppard.

She's all growed up at 20 now. Good find!
So pipsqueak was the princess brat? Huh, I can't say I was expecting that, though now in retrospect it's obvious. Oh well, it's always good for actors/actresses to be able to find continued employment in such a cut-throat industry.:)

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I went in very skeptical, watching it atm.

Is better than I expected, I wouldn't say it's a Firefly, but if they keep up some character development it probably has a future.

Of course even as good as Firefly was it had a short life.

Might check out the second also, I neeed to get the wife to watch em but it's late, probably will do those with her tomorrow.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'm oughta here and not even finishing the first, didn't realize it was this late.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, Killjoys also premiered last night... bounty hunters seem to be a theme on Syfy this summer.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, Killjoys also premiered last night... bounty hunters seem to be a theme on Syfy this summer.
I suspect that's a coincidence more than anything else, based on ideas that were getting pitched to them.

I'm too lazy to do a Killjoys thread, but it was rather outlandish to say the least. And Aaron Ashmore doing his best Chris Pratt is amusing in and of itself.:p

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Ratings:

Defiance - 0.2 (0.16) - 880K
Killjoys - 0.3 (0.26) - 966K
Dark Matter - 0.2 (0.22) - 946K

Ouch! (And sucks to be Defiance)

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Ratings:

Defiance
0.24 - 1.157K ----- Up 0.08

Dark Matter
0.20 - 1.068K ----- Down 0.02

Killjoys
0.22 - 1.030K ----- Down 0.04

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Watched first episode of Killjoys, didn't really do much for me. Dark Matter isn't too good either :/

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I think the numbers situation is different than it was even five years ago. TV shows have become a more global product, esp. sci-fi shows. Many countries severely restricted foreign media for nationalistic reasons. Not so much anymore. Scifi is something that tends to have a more universal appeal with its effects and, usually, action. I don't think tv shows like Dark Matter has to do as well in the US as previous scifi shows as foreign monies help make up the difference.

Just my opinion from things I have read.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I just seen Killjoys for the first time last week. I really liked it, maybe more than Dark Matter.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Killjoys seems to be the better of the two right now. There are some advantages to starting with a fairly limited cast and then adding people as the characters develop - especially when you only have about 42 minutes per week to work with and you need to have a certain amount action scenes.

DM hasn't really piqued my interest yet. There's some sense of mystery concerning who these people are and what they've done in the past but it doesn't seem to be an important plot point yet. I'm sure that will change but they should have dropped a few more ominous clues by now

It's still early days for both shows but they seem to be getting off to a slow start. At least Killjoys has the ongoing mystery of Dutch's mentor and who he really is which is very definitely a plot point.

matricks

Nov 19, 2014
I hate it when shows can't keep up with itself, and just break apart. Amazing Android blabbers at length about her perfect ability to detect lies, discomfort, provide psychiatric counseling and what not. She also approves of Jace' hair style, yet fails to notice the second change back to the original. Why is she blatantly ignoring the poor liars, and failing to suggest counseling to someone who has obviously had a far rougher day than he admits, including meeting himself and not getting along.

Also, experienced gambler coupled with childishly innocent card counter, gets brought to back office and offered to leave without cash. Never seen that before.

I'll keep watching, because I just can't let a show like this go without answers to the basic background (what happened to them prior to waking up). It's just a bad curse I have. But I hope it will disappoint less.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I hate it when shows can't keep up with itself, and just break apart. Amazing Android blabbers at length about her perfect ability to detect lies, discomfort, provide psychiatric counseling and what not. She also approves of Jace' hair style, yet fails to notice the second change back to the original. Why is she blatantly ignoring the poor liars, and failing to suggest counseling to someone who has obviously had a far rougher day than he admits, including meeting himself and not getting along.

Also, experienced gambler coupled with childishly innocent card counter, gets brought to back office and offered to leave without cash. Never seen that before.

I'll keep watching, because I just can't let a show like this go without answers to the basic background (what happened to them prior to waking up). It's just a bad curse I have. But I hope it will disappoint less.
It really wasn't a very good episode. It has SGU "worst day since yesterday" painted all over it. And half of the characters are running around trying to lay claim to the idiot ball. Secrets, factions, etc are are all petty, boring crap.

Killjoys seems to be the better of the two right now. There are some advantages to starting with a fairly limited cast and then adding people as the characters develop - especially when you only have about 42 minutes per week to work with and you need to have a certain amount action scenes.
Agreed. Killjoys is having a lot more fun with its premise right now. Shame it's only a 10 episode season.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The idea of transport through hyperspace by transferring your consciousness to a clone was an interesting idea. It's essentially a low-tech version of a transporter beam. But the part about the clones having a 72 hour life has to be wrong since there seems to be a pre-memory-wipe version of Number One.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The idea of transport through hyperspace by transferring your consciousness to a clone was an interesting idea. It's essentially a low-tech version of a transporter beam. But the part about the clones having a 72 hour life has to be wrong since there seems to be a pre-memory-wipe version of Number One.
This is pretty much the plot of a science fiction movie that,of course,I don't remember the name of, saw it years ago.

Same as the sonavibe,device that regulates your dreams and puts you to instant sleep,I saw that in a movie before.

Whole mind wipe idea,complete with leveling the rebelling miners, is total recall (the one with arnie) of course.

And of course we also get the female hal9000 in android form,soothing calm voice paired with pure cold logic.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Ratings:

Defiance - 0.36 - 1,277K

Dark Matter - 0.22 - 1,028K

Killjoys - 0.21 - 915K

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Ratings:

Defiance - 0.36 - 1,277K

Dark Matter - 0.22 - 1,028K

Killjoys - 0.21 - 915K
Those don't look like great number for a couple of new series. I wonder how this season of Defiance compared to it's first. I know that they've decline a lot from season 2. It doesn't look like DM or Kj will make it past season 1.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Both Dark Matter and Killjoys are watchable. Not must see, but nothing really wrong with them either, considering the kind of shows they are supposed to be.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I think I'm going to stick with what I said last week, which is that Killjoys is having a lot more fun with its premise. There we got a rip-roaring badlands adventure, versus a zombie episode for a series only 5 episodes in.

Overall this was a good enough episode, One and Three hashing out their differences is amusing enough, and Three needs to be able to prove that while he's not the brightest bulb, he is in fact a highly capable gunslinger.

On the other hand I'm getting annoyed with the fact that they're throwing mystery upon mystery on us. Nothing ever gets answered, there are only more mysteries.

Good to see David Hewlett on Syfy again! :)
Ditto. He's a bit typecast here, but he plays a smarmy bastard oh so well.:p

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Ratings time.

Defiance (0.3)
0.26 - 1,066K

Killjoys (0.2)
0.22 - 975K

Dark Matter (0.3)
0.25 - 1,096K