- Nov 17, 2002
Here's another interesting article from the Sydney Morning Herald. A Saudi opposition group claims that their government has agreed to interrogate up to 12,000 Saudis about terrorism. Good news if it's accurate.
Saudis to interrogate 12,000 suspects
Saudi Arabian authorities have embarked on a vast anti-terrorism operation in which up to 12,000 citizens will be questioned at the behest of the United States, a Saudi opposition group has said.
"The Saudi Government is doing a full-scale sweeping activity," said Saad al-Fagih, of the London-based Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia.
"This is causing occasional confrontations with members [of militant groups] who have decided not to surrender themselves."
Several sources in the kingdom had told him of a "substantial list", provided by the US, naming Saudi citizens who were to be questioned or arrested, he said. One put the number of names at 12,000. Others gave lower figures but all were well into the thousands. "There are strong signs that the number is 12,000," Mr Fagih said.
The information had been compiled by the US from various countries, including Pakistan, Bosnia, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, he said. Some names were included because they had been mentioned by suspects under interrogation, but others were on the list because of money transfers or travel bookings.
Saudi Arabia is reluctant to admit to co-operating with the US for fear of inflaming domestic opinion, but it also needs to placate critics who say it has done too little to combat terrorism.
[ ... ]