Sword of the Stars II

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Anyone else keeping an eye on this game? It comes out on the 28th.

Sword of the Stars was fun, but also flawed. 4X is one of my favorite genres and it hasn't gotten a lot of love over the years, so when anything comes out in that genre I get excited. I hope this one is at least decent (70%). If it is I'll buy it and probably enjoy it.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
I really enjoy SotS and pre-ordered Sots 2. It's a DX 10 game, it will not run on XP. You will also need steam to install and for future patches.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
What flaws are in SotS? I bought it on sale just 2 days ago and havent played it yet.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
What flaws are in SotS? I bought it on sale just 2 days ago and havent played it yet.

Mostly the galaxy map is very awkward if you play on anything but disk or 2d. Some gameplay pacing issues (in my opinion I always get bogged down and never finish games I start in it). If you like 4x and can live without detailed planet management it's a solid game; I just wouldn't buy the second one without decent improvements.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
Well the release didn't go off quite as planned. Apparently Kerberos sent steam the beta version. So everyone who downloaded the game got the beta instead of the finished game. They are still uploading the correct version to steam.

Someone messed up big time.

Last edited:

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
I also heard there was a MOO3 but the game that I played was not MOO3 but some abomination that claimed to be MOO3

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Well the release didn't go off quite as planned. Apparently Kerberos sent steam the beta version. So everyone who downloaded the game got the beta instead of the finished game. They are still uploading the correct version to steam.

Someone messed up big time.

Well that sucks. Hopefully they get it fixed and it turns out to be a good product.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
Well that sucks. Hopefully they get it fixed and it turns out to be a good product.

It looks like the release version is not much better than the beta. Now you can't even change the graphic options and the bugs are still there along with the crashes. Definitely a rushed and unfinished product. Lots of pissed off people on their forums.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Damn I loved Pax and I really miss Imperium Galactica II, such a damn good game. Loved the way planet bombardment and space battles worked. Was such a revelation for me when I first played it.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I pre-ordered which was dumb, game it’s just like Elemental release. Another consumer beta test production.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
It looks like the release version is not much better than the beta.

I liked the first game, but getting it and the expantions on sale helped there.

Was going to buy this game yesterday when I found this thread, but guessing it is best to wait. At which point waiting for a sale is better again.

ramj70

Aug 24, 2004
I liked the first game, but getting it and the expantions on sale helped there.

Was going to buy this game yesterday when I found this thread, but guessing it is best to wait. At which point waiting for a sale is better again.

Yeah there are going to be quite a few patches it appears. Another They have had one patch so far and another to come out on Monday.

Also it appears Kerberos knew the game was not ready but went with the release date for the digital download. The retail version are delayed until November 11th. Apparently Kerberos was running out of funds and needed the cash from the digital sales to keep going.

The Keeper

Mar 27, 2007
To get an impression how broken the current version of SotS2 is, you should read these two topics:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208346
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=21876

However, it does seem that Parallax (the publisher) was pushing Kerberos into releasing unfinished product. But Kerberos also had a lot of pressure to release early because it does seem as if they were running out of money to develop the game.

Some people have speculated that their financial situation is so bad that if SotS2 doesn't sell well, they're out of business. If they do go out of business, that means SotS2 will not ever be patched and polished like SotS was and I believe that would be the bigger blow.

I mean I do not like the fact that unfinished product was pushed out with so many glaring issues, but I do notice that there is a good solid game underneath all the problems and I can't but hope that Kerberos lives on to update the game. That way one day I'll be enjoying SotS2 immensely. If Kerberos goes under, then I bought the game for nothing.

Oct 30, 2004
Oh well. If SotS2 doesn't work out, people can always gear up for the stand-alone Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. It will even have online multiplayer so you aren't stuck having to play against the AI.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone is playing the game and how is it now? I've seen tons of patch stuff for it. I ask too because it is on sale at greenmangaming for $7.50 and am curious if it is now fixed.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
It is light-years better, and still in very active development. Is it 100% yet? Nope. Is it going to be? Yeah, I really do think so.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It is light-years better, and still in very active development. Is it 100% yet? Nope. Is it going to be? Yeah, I really do think so.

Let me know if it gets fully playable. I was loving a lot of the concepts prior to release.